LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Power loss when warmed up

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2009, 01:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Power loss when warmed up

There is a 94 6 speed Formula Firehawk with 60K original miles in my area that I am looking at buying.The owner says that the water pump,or the water pump gasket busted a leak so he had the pump replaced by a mechanic.Now he is saying that there is a noticeable power loss when the motor is warmed up and sometimes idles erratically,but doesn't die.

Being a 94 unvented opti setup,I'm assuming its probably on its way out with the water pump had previously busting a leak on it.I think I can get the car for $3,500 as is,which would seem like a steal for this kind of car,but with the possible opti issue,and only having 3 of the original firehawk rims (1 cracked in a fender bender) I am little bit skeptical.It is a genuine hawk though and its in great cosmetic condition.It happens to be a 1 of 17 with beige cloth interior with maintenance records and a recent clutch replacement 8K miles ago.

Should I go for it if everything else checks out good? Would you guys agree that it is the opti most likely acting up with the power loss? What else could the power loss be caused from when the motor warms up?

Thanks.

Last edited by Formula Freak; 01-14-2009 at 01:36 PM.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula Freak
There is a 94 6 speed Formula Firehawk with 60K original miles in my area that I am looking at buying.The owner says that the water pump,or the water pump gasket busted a leak so he had the pump replaced by a mechanic.Now he is saying that there is a noticeable power loss when the motor is warmed up and sometimes idles erratically,but doesn't die.

Being a 94 unvented opti setup,I'm assuming its probably on its way out with the water pump had previously busting a leak on it.I think I can get the car for $3,500 as is,which would seem like a steal for this kind of car,but with the possible opti issue,and only having 3 of the original firehawk rims (1 cracked in a fender bender) I am little bit skeptical.It is a genuine hawk though and its in great cosmetic condition.It happens to be a 1 of 17 with beige cloth interior with maintenance records and a recent clutch replacement 8K miles ago.

Should I go for it if everything else checks out good? Would you guys agree that it is the opti most likely acting up with the power loss? What else could the power loss be caused from when the motor warms up?

Thanks.
Could be any number of things, opti, ICM, coil, o2's, MAF...
All of which are normal wear problems, easily fixed (once you pinpoint it exactly). So I say if you are proficient with working on LT1's, buy it before it's gone.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:45 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You'd be retarded not to buy that man. I got a really well running but, cosmetically beat up T/A for that price...

Jump on it SRSLY!

-justin
Old 01-14-2009, 01:49 PM
On The Tree

I'm not exactly proficient with working on an LT1 and its technical stuff.Changing oil,fluids and filters is about all I can do.But I am familiar with the motor and have a mechanic friend that has worked on LT1's before that can help with that kind of stuff.I am just worried that chasing and pinpointing the problem might be a pain in the butt and cost a lot of money.
Old 01-14-2009, 01:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I'm not exactly proficient with working on an LT1 and its technical stuff.Changing oil,fluids and filters is about all I can do.But I am familiar with the motor and have a mechanic friend that has worked on LT1's before that can help with that kind of stuff.I am just worried that chasing and pinpointing the problem might be a pain in the butt and cost a lot of money.
All I can tell you is that it can be...it's a crap shoot basically.
Any codes on the car?
Old 01-14-2009, 01:56 PM
On The Tree

Nope, no SES lights.
Old 01-14-2009, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nope, no SES lights.
Go check your cats i had one that once it warmed up the cats restricted the flow of the exhaust causing powerloss and erratic idle good luck
Old 01-14-2009, 02:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

If you don't buy it for that price, I will.

Quick Reply: Power loss when warmed up