LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Vibration??

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2009, 09:52 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration??

I just installed poly bushings in front sway bar, poly motor mounts, and UMI 3 point subframe connectors. Under hard acceleration when it really squats I get a vibration from under the car. When I tightened the factory torque arm on the rear end the last time I didn't have full weight on wheels so what I did was I put it up on the air on a drive up lift, loosened all the bolts in the torque arm and the SFC including lower control arms and retorqued everything to 100 ft lbs. My rear end is at most 1/4 inch from being centered with factory panhard. I looked around for any rubs and couldn't see any anywhere, I didn't change the tranny mount to a poly one when I did the motor mounts is there any way that this could possibly cause this vibration?? Please help!
Old 01-29-2009, 11:57 PM
On The Tree

its probably the motor mounts, not a fault of installation, just the mounts themself! and you don't want to run poly motor AND tranny mounts!
Old 01-30-2009, 01:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by blkm6formula
its probably the motor mounts, not a fault of installation, just the mounts themself! and you don't want to run poly motor AND tranny mounts!
I have poly motor mounts, trans mount, and poly TA bushing. As you can see, I don't care about ride quality.
Old 01-30-2009, 05:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by blkm6formula
and you don't want to run poly motor AND tranny mounts!
Are you just speaking about vibration/noise-wise? I've always been under the impression that poly mounts are superior in performance most ways with the exception of ride comfort.

I have poly motor and tranny mounts and I do feel some more vibration than with the rubber mounts. I expected it though. Nothing to unbearable, and it smooths out when revved up.

to OP, is your suspension good for your application? Is your vibration coming at higher RPM? - Maybe driveshaft vibration?
Old 01-30-2009, 09:29 AM
TECH Fanatic

it only does it when the car squats, I get no vibration at highway speeds or cruising around town it is only when I mash it and the weight transfers I get a vibration from what sounds like something rubbing. I am at a loss on how to troubleshoot it because the gripe is almost impossible to duplicate in the driveway or on a lift.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:33 AM
TECH Senior Member

I used to have an annoying rattling/vibration when launching my car. A couple weeks later my stock TA snapped, seems it had been cracking and bending where it bolts to the diff (top side) for a while before it kicked the bucket.
Old 01-30-2009, 09:38 AM
TECH Fanatic

that is what I was kind of leaning towards was the TA, however I have been trying to get the damn thing running right and now I have this issue as well. Modding these cars is like playing Whack-A-Mole, you get one nailed down and 3 more pop up
Old 01-30-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
that is what I was kind of leaning towards was the TA, however I have been trying to get the damn thing running right and now I have this issue as well. Modding these cars is like playing Whack-A-Mole, you get one nailed down and 3 more pop up
That's sig material right there.

Quick Reply: Vibration??