LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Spun 6800

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2009 | 05:26 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by nik1703
Nice, yeah thats almost exactly the story that happened to me, except i wasnt racing anyone, just having some fun by myself.

so do i have to remove the TB? or just spray that stuff in there and clean it out with a cloth?
You're not that far from me. You need to come out to a Cali Generalz meet, I can go over all the basics and probably answer any question you'll have. I'll get you more up to speed with LT1 knowledge and know how.
Old 01-30-2009 | 05:30 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You're not that far from me. You need to come out to a Cali Generalz meet, I can go over all the basics and probably answer any question you'll have. I'll get you more up to speed with LT1 knowledge and know how.
awesome, ive been meaning to hit a meet sometime soon. where and when is the next meet?
Old 01-30-2009 | 06:01 PM
TECH Addict

hey guys, thanks for all the input. where are the throttle blades? (i'm new to LT1s) Do you mean the two "vents" on the throttle body that open and close? How do i clean those? (i have an aftermarket TB, by the way). It was pretty scary, yes. I do have non-stock software (modified prom) so that could have something to do with the rev limiter, but i dont know... its from the previous owner. how do i go about adjusting the rev limiter?
if these are previous owner's mods and you didnt expierence any valve float I wouldnt be surprised if you have an upgraded valvetrain too. sounds like some sea foam deep creep will solve your problem tho GL
Old 01-30-2009 | 06:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
if these are previous owner's mods and you didnt expierence any valve float I wouldnt be surprised if you have an upgraded valvetrain too. sounds like some sea foam deep creep will solve your problem tho GL
who's that? my engine is running normal now, ive never hit that high before.

is there any way to check if the valve train is stock or upgraded?
Old 01-30-2009 | 06:50 PM
TECH Regular

Yes, the "vent" you are referring to are the blades. You can clean it with throttle body/carburetor cleaner (name is pretty straight forward lol). You rev limiter was changed by the previous owner, you can get it adjusted by any one with LT1 editing software.

carb cleaner is not a good idea for the sensors. use seafoam deep creep, its sensor safe and wont mess up your O2's or other sensors.
Old 01-30-2009 | 06:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by impaled
carb cleaner is not a good idea for the sensors. use seafoam deep creep, its sensor safe and wont mess up your O2's or other sensors.
do you use it the same way as carb cleaner??
Old 01-30-2009 | 07:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by impaled
You just spray it on and wipe it off, no damage to anything.
Old 01-30-2009 | 07:11 PM
TECH Addict

only way to check to see if your valvetrain is upgraded is to pop off a valve cover, if your rockers are stock then its def not modded, if their aftermarket you could have upgraded springs but no guarentee w/o taking them out and checking them.
edit: you should give it the whole sea foam treatment, theres a sticky around here some where..... ehh no sticky but heres a link> https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-your-car.html
Old 01-30-2009 | 07:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

who's that? my engine is running normal now, ive never hit that high before.

is there any way to check if the valve train is stock or upgraded?
I'll check for you if you come down to my area for a meet or something. I think the guys are getting together this Sat.
Old 01-30-2009 | 07:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by z_speedfreak
only way to check to see if your valvetrain is upgraded is to pop off a valve cover, if your rockers are stock then its def not modded, if their aftermarket you could have upgraded springs but no guarentee w/o taking them out and checking them.
edit: you should give it the whole sea foam treatment, theres a sticky around here some where..... ehh no sticky but heres a link> https://ls1tech.com/forums/general-m...-your-car.html
Thanks for the link! That's a great write-up. I'll have to do that, since i have 90k on my car and its probably never been seafoamed, ill need to do this.

I'll check for you if you come down to my area for a meet or something. I think the guys are getting together this Sat.
id come down for a meet. is it official, or just whenever you guys agree?
Old 01-30-2009 | 10:26 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by Formula350
Yea, our motors CAN do 6500 safely, daily. I'm curious as to why it didn't hit the rev limiter as well. If you have it set to something else, then there must be some justification for it being higher, but if you haven't... Well stock is 5850.
this may sound really stupid but mine is a 94 T/A does anyone know what the rev limiter is set at is it different in 94 compared to 93 im afraid to check if it has one
Old 01-30-2009 | 10:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Chrisd000111
this may sound really stupid but mine is a 94 T/A does anyone know what the rev limiter is set at is it different in 94 compared to 93 im afraid to check if it has one
5850 +/- for all the aluminum head LT1s, as far as I've came across at least. LT4s are probably higher, and Iron Heads are probably lower.

And stock rocker arms don't mean the springs aren't upgraded Chances are slim, sure, but it's not out of the question.
Old 01-31-2009 | 01:10 AM
TECH Addict

yeah thats true, but I dont see why anyone would swap springs and skip the rockers. I guess 'most likely' works better
Old 01-31-2009 | 08:30 PM
TECH Resident

im pretty sure taking off the valve cover is quite a job, isn't it? I mean, not worth checking the stock-ness of the internals
Old 01-31-2009 | 08:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

im pretty sure taking off the valve cover is quite a job, isn't it? I mean, not worth checking the stock-ness of the internals
Naw. It CAN be a pain to work them off from the back of the head, but it's not even close to being as hard as doing plugs lol The gaskets are rubber and so you can just reuse them (with in reason that is, if they look like *** and have been leaking, you'll want to replace them). It's just 4 center bolts after all,3/8" socket I do believe.
Old 02-01-2009 | 09:04 AM
TECH Junkie

Driver side cover is real easy to take off if you are going to take one off to just look. When you put the cover back on don't crank down on the valve cover bolts too hard, you can damage the valve cover/cause it to leak. Torque specs on those bolts are 7-8ft.-lbs. I think...... alright I went and looked it up 106in-lbs.

Last edited by camar0corey; 02-01-2009 at 09:09 AM.
Old 02-01-2009 | 02:35 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by camar0corey
Driver side cover is real easy to take off if you are going to take one off to just look. When you put the cover back on don't crank down on the valve cover bolts too hard, you can damage the valve cover/cause it to leak. Torque specs on those bolts are 7-8ft.-lbs. I think...... alright I went and looked it up 106in-lbs.
thanks man, i might just do that. i'll take pictures and report back.
Old 02-01-2009 | 02:38 PM
Launching!

my freidn has a 95 cammed lt1 and the most he ever pressed the gas was liek half way lool he drives like my granfdather so i pulls into the shop and i tell him to give it a rev he goes

VRROMM ButBUTBUTBUTBUTBUT

im like WTF no he didnt

i knew it wasnt true lol his throttle got stuck on a hose clamp when he put the moroso intake on sounded bad *** though seeing clouds of black smoke shoot out
Old 02-01-2009 | 02:38 PM
TECH Fanatic

Something similar happened to me a while back but my floor mat jammed up the pedal. And no more floor mats in my car
Old 02-01-2009 | 02:56 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by sway99bird
Something similar happened to me a while back but my floor mat jammed up the pedal. And no more floor mats in my car
hahaha same thing happened to me in my e36 M3. almost blew the engine

Quick Reply: Spun 6800