LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need a diagnosis.

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 09:00 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
If it is just a hard start I wouldn't agree on the possibility of the opti. Now if its hard start + running poor (missing) then I would scream OPTI
Could it be a possible ICM overheating issue? I'm not sure of the components inside them, but like a computer when it's too hot it can start to flake out, and when it gets overheated that's when you'll crash. Now, seeing as our ICMs are stupidly mounted directly on the head, and newer ones like on Vortec motors are including heatsinks, I think that not only would the "spacer mod" (4 or 5 washers ,and longer bolts, between the ICM and head to aid in lowering it's temp) be a good idea, but MIGHT help the problem. However IF that is the case, then a new ICM would be a good idea since that would kind of imply the one he has is partially damaged.

I'd suggest, if you can get your hands on an ICM (from pretty much any 90+ GM v8 I'd think), be it from a friend's vehicle or another of yours, and test it with your car while cold and after you've driven to the point that it'd restart hard, that it could help at least eliminate something.

Just thought of it, that it could be intake air temp or coolant temp sender (in the water pump for the computer. Anyone else see that as a possibility?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:07 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by LT1FirebirdSLP
If it is just a hard start I wouldn't agree on the possibility of the opti. Now if its hard start + running poor (missing) then I would scream OPTI
The car cranks hard but won't start at all.
Old 03-14-2009, 11:34 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well i finally got the bird running. I went to the local junkyard and picked up a Coil with the ICM, swapped it out and the car fired right up. So the problem was the Coil or ICM, but either way...problem solved!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 08:35 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by musclehead
Well i finally got the bird running. I went to the local junkyard and picked up a Coil with the ICM, swapped it out and the car fired right up. So the problem was the Coil or ICM, but either way...problem solved!!!
it would be nice to narrow this down so you could put on a new part and not worry about it failing again. how about changing each 1 of those out by itself and seeing what happens....
Old 03-15-2009, 01:23 PM
TECH Apprentice

I plan on doing just that but for now having the car back together and running is good enough.

Quick Reply: Need a diagnosis.