LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Need input in road race 383 build

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2009, 12:10 AM
Village Troll

Received 539 Likes on 390 Posts

Buy a quality true roller timing chain and gears. Most important component in a road race engine since it will be the most stressed with the constant accel/deceleration.
Old 02-05-2009, 08:49 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

You might consider contacting one of our guys that is out in California. His name is Randy & he's done very well locally. The probability is that he could put you in touch with local professionals. We would suggest you consider them for their familiarity with your application and accessibility. He ran a basic stock short block with one of our daily driver oriented heads/cam setups for a season or two before upgrading to his SR setup. Here is his website w/ contact info:

http://home.comcast.net/~rmackintosh/Site/Welcome.html

Old 02-05-2009, 01:20 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Phil I dig that car! Do you know what class he runs? AIX? CMC? Man I would love to have something like that.

How much power could you make with a cam only car Phil in an application like that? With all the supporting mods.
Old 02-06-2009, 08:12 AM
TECH Apprentice

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default re

OK the diff between a stock lenhth and stroker may be negligible. The diff between cranks is a good bit :forged scat 51lbs ,lightweight 47lbs, superlight forged 44lbs and they have some lighter, and yes, these are two piece.
Old 02-06-2009, 09:08 AM
FormerVendor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Phil I dig that car! Do you know what class he runs? AIX? CMC? Man I would love to have something like that.

How much power could you make with a cam only car Phil in an application like that? With all the supporting mods.
SCCA Improved Touring I believe.

The power level will be determined by budget really. What level of components can a guy afford, and how long must it run between freshenings. If the DJ is the measuring stick, I don't see why an emissions legal 383 can't make mid 400's for hp & tq. Randy has a basic 383 w/ a mild SR that is intended to last multiple seasons. Additionally, the cam is mild enough to afford him 1100-1400rpm worth of headroom beyond his peak power rpm. After he ran the first couple races with the new 383 his competitors were posting online about it. Someone had started a rumor that he had a "detuned sb2.2 cup engine" or something along those lines. It is more a testament to his setup and driving skill than anything else. It "only" makes 450rwhp.
Old 02-09-2009, 02:19 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The reason I said that is more often that not a 383 with too small of heads/cam makes ALOT of torque down low in the rpm range.
Yes, I agree, it shouldn't be a problem with a 383.
Originally Posted by Jaemanator
So my only concern with that setup is that better heads would decrease velocity too much at lower rpm's and affect efficiency for a clean burn when under the sniffer test.
I suppose that's possible but I really don't know enough about it. I'd suggest speaking with some of the porters who have experience with emissions setups to see what sort of influence the heads have. It might be enough to make a difference with a borderline cam.

However if you were willing to swap cams for the test I have a hard time believing anything you could do to the heads would cause a failure with the stock cam. That was my main point--that'd be easier and more effective than swapping heads. In any case, I don't think a really quality set of heads big enough to let the 383 breath could be a bad choice for any reason.

Your car sounds pretty well prepared otherwise, sorry if I incorrectly assumed by the first post you had less experience. It sounds like you've been doing this for a while.
Originally Posted by SS RRR
Buy a quality true roller timing chain and gears. Most important component in a road race engine since it will be the most stressed with the constant accel/deceleration.
I may not be up on the latest of what's available, but I'd avoid any timing chain that requires changing to an electric waterpump.
Yes, Randy has built himself one hell of a car. It looks even better now with the front splitter and big rear wing. The thing is a rocket--as it has to be in order to do as well as he does in ITE. Of course he's a heck of a driver as well.

Here's some great footage of him in action: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4wFVDm3uxM

I know most here are drag racers, and that's OK too. But fellas, that has to get your hearts pumping, right?
Old 02-10-2009, 01:02 PM
Teching In

Yes, the car is MUCH different than the photo above.

We have had great luck with our Advanced Induction heads on top of our 383 stroker build by S&S Automotive, the Santos family behind recent NHRA drag champion Rick Santos. I don't know where you are, but they are in San Leandro, CA. The top end of the car is pretty much untouched from Phil at AA--LT1 heads with the 200cc job, Jesel shaft mount rockers, solid roller lifters, and his matched cam. The stroker was built originally with a stock Corvette 4 bolt main LT1, but the mains developed a crack and I had them swap the internals over to a splayed 4 bolt main block. S&S originally built the bottom end for less than $5,000, but it was pretty close....call it even. They used a Scat Forged Crank, Scat rods, and off the shelf Manley gas ported pistons. I shared with George, Rick, Jeff and the Santos family all of the Callies and other "trick" stuff that read about on CamaroZ28.com, and he said the benefits would be negligble...that Phil's top end would do the work on the engine. (They were VERY IMPRESSED with the quality of Phil's heads when they recieved them even though they do "similar" work in house). The engine has gone 3 full seasons now and not skipped a beat, if not for the Chevy block failure, and I beat on that engine for several laps with little to no oil pressure to record a second place finish, and all the internals were perfect on the swap to the new block.

We have dyno'd the motor at 469 RWHP with that set up and a Dr. Gas 3" X-Scream exhaust dumped before the axles with 18" Lobak mufflers (like Moroso Spiral). I am very happy with the set up.

The engine in its glory during repairs after a major wreck a year ago...

The car as it sits now...

One of my favorite shots...

Here is the only online video I have INSIDE the car....crappy quality and after a REAL bad qualifying effort, you can HEAR the part throttle and lifting all over the track as I hold up for the cars in front of me, but you can "get the idea...."
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7p9ybxDa9s8
Old 02-10-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I see ITE on the door, this is an "Improved Touring E" car?

Cool car I dig it.
Old 02-10-2009, 02:50 PM
Teching In

I see ITE on the door, this is an "Improved Touring E" car?

Cool car I dig it.
Yes, I run it in the San Francisco Region of the SCCA. Only 2 rules:

1. Must run stock "production vehicle tub"

and

2. Must run DOT tires.

Fun stuff!

Quick Reply: Need input in road race 383 build