LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Freshly Rebuilt Tranny Amazed!

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2009, 10:49 PM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Freshly Rebuilt Tranny Amazed!

So i recently had taken my car to a local shop here in AZ for a transmission rebuild and a new stall converter. The transmission now has a 3200rpm Edge Converter, stage 2 shift kit, and completel rebuild of the internals.
I can honestly say it is day and night difference between the stock stall, and tranny. The car seems only slightly more sluggish below 3000rpms, but once it gets past that mark it plain screams, even from a roll!

This saturday i will be making a few passes at a local track and will post up times!
Hoping to see high 12's and mid 12's if i can get my 60' down.

[edit] forgot to add i got an aftermarket tranny cooler too

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by PNYKLR-TA; 02-03-2009 at 11:19 PM.
Old 02-03-2009, 11:12 PM
TECH Addict

Better get some DRs. Going to Speedworld?
Old 02-03-2009, 11:18 PM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by LSWHO
Better get some DRs. Going to Speedworld?
yea def going to speedworld, and ive got Nitto NT555R's that are drag radials but i still cant hook for ****, i was going thru the water before and my builder suggested i just go around the water and if i have to backing up into it so as to not track water to the line with my front tires.

ohh and my buddy with a 2006 Cobalt SS stage 3 should be there along with another buddy who has a 2000 SLP Firehawk. Should be some good runs, i just wanna be the first of our group of friends to break into the 12's!

You should come out man.
Old 02-04-2009, 09:23 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
So i recently had taken my car to a local shop here in AZ for a transmission rebuild and a new stall converter. The transmission now has a 3200rpm Edge Converter, stage 2 shift kit, and completel rebuild of the internals.
I can honestly say it is day and night difference between the stock stall, and tranny. The car seems only slightly more sluggish below 3000rpms, but once it gets past that mark it plain screams, even from a roll!

This saturday i will be making a few passes at a local track and will post up times!
Hoping to see high 12's and mid 12's if i can get my 60' down.

[edit] forgot to add i got an aftermarket tranny cooler too

Thanks for reading!
Nice bro I'm glad you like it. I had pretty much the same thing done right after I bought my car and it made a world of difference. It really makes driving a A4 worth it IMO. Now all you need is a bad *** cam
Old 02-04-2009, 09:35 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Nice bro I'm glad you like it. I had pretty much the same thing done right after I bought my car and it made a world of difference. It really makes driving a A4 worth it IMO. Now all you need is a bad *** cam
hey! i like the cadillac cam i got now

all i need really is to be able to hook up

but we will see what kinda times i can post with the little baby cam i got now
Old 02-04-2009, 09:58 AM
TECH Fanatic

Backing into the water box is a good idea. Pump your front tires up to 40 lbs. for less rolling resistance. You might have to drop the rear tire pressure to about 15 or 16 lbs. hot. You might try a long burnout too, to see if that helps. If you have a little extra money, put an airbag in the right rear to help plant that tire. If all else fails, buy a chassis mounted adjustable TA, and or some MT street radials. Good luck.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:09 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by PNYKLR-TA
hey! i like the cadillac cam i got now

all i need really is to be able to hook up

but we will see what kinda times i can post with the little baby cam i got now
Oh that's right you do have a cam already..my bad. Get some Mickey T's man!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:20 AM
TECH Addict

I wish I could go, but I work.

Make sure you try launching from multiple rpm. Some converters like to be stalled up only to 1200, mine likes 2000ish.

Also definitely drive around the water box, there's enough room for it at speedworld.

hopefully they've fixed the timing lights since I was there.
Old 02-04-2009, 10:38 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by Z-RATED94
Backing into the water box is a good idea. Pump your front tires up to 40 lbs. for less rolling resistance. You might have to drop the rear tire pressure to about 15 or 16 lbs. hot. You might try a long burnout too, to see if that helps. If you have a little extra money, put an airbag in the right rear to help plant that tire. If all else fails, buy a chassis mounted adjustable TA, and or some MT street radials. Good luck.
yea my builder also suggested 40psi in the fronts, and about 18 at lowest in the rears just so i dont wobble going down the track.

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Oh that's right you do have a cam already..my bad. Get some Mickey T's man!
i know i know man, i need some money first haha just blew everything i had plus some extra! one thing at a time haha.

I wish I could go, but I work.

Make sure you try launching from multiple rpm. Some converters like to be stalled up only to 1200, mine likes 2000ish.

Also definitely drive around the water box, there's enough room for it at speedworld.

hopefully they've fixed the timing lights since I was there.
damn man, well sometime i'm sure we can all go make a few passes, and i do need to learn to launch the car, it drives 100% different than before. ill be testing all different types of launches including some idling starts just to kinda feel out the new setup.

and Thanks everyone!

this is definitely my first drag car, or fast car for that matter, so its a learning expereince for me!
Old 02-04-2009, 10:51 AM
11 Second Club

Very nice!!! Yep drive around the water box, back in and do a healthy burn out. front tires at 40 and rears at 16-18. Practice practice practice!!!!!
Old 02-04-2009, 11:02 AM
TECH Addict

The MTs I use are at 26psi.

In about mid march I'll probably go back to the track. Possibly shooting for 11s.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:05 AM
12 Second Club

The MTs I use are at 26psi.

In about mid march I'll probably go back to the track. Possibly shooting for 11s.
i need me a set of MT's haha, and sounds good mid march it is! remember to let me know, cause by that time i'll hopefully have gotten a dyno tune in with a DHM cut-out and bigger throttle body.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:27 AM
12 Second Club

Go to the track in Feb.....that would be nice,,all I see here is SNOW. not even a dry road.
Old 02-04-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by dlk1950
Go to the track in Feb.....that would be nice,,all I see here is SNOW. not even a dry road.
There's nothing nice about it.

I ran in January and the temps were still in the mid 60s.
Old 02-04-2009, 03:50 PM
12 Second Club

Well maybe i'll see ya out there on Sat, dont know if i'm gonna make it out this weekend, i'd like to do a little test n tune sat but we'll see what the weekend brings, who did your trans? price range?
Old 02-04-2009, 07:30 PM
Launching!

Just dont start your burnout in the water also. Slowly roll them with a light throttle. Otherwise you will sling water into the fenderwells, wich will be dripping back on your tires as you stage. Thats what I do anyway. Tip was given to me by an old school racer

Also with nittos you really need to heat them up with a big juicy burnout to get them to hook well. When I went with M/T's it was night and day. With my power level (est. 330 whp) all I needed to do was a quick 2 sec burnout to just clean them off. They do wobble a bit though.