push rod 503

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2009 | 09:43 PM
jmd
TECH Addict
20 Year Member

Smile

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Adjusting rockers with poly locks is a breeze.

When at #1 TDC you can adjust the following valves:

Intake: 1, 2, 5, 7
Exhaust: 1, 3, 4, 8

Rotate the crank one revolution until the pointer is again at 12 o'clock. This will let you adjust the remainder of the valves. If you did #1 the previous time, you should be now at #6 TDC.

When at #6 TDC you can adjust the following valves:

Intake: 3, 4, 6, 8
Exhaust: 2, 5, 6, 7

For each rocker, all you have to do is back off the set screw and slowly tighten the lock until it seats on the rocker (it will just stop). Then add your preload (I used 1/2 turn) with a 16mm wrench. Then tighten the set screw and finally since down the lock again.

That's the initial adjustment, it will get the car running. Once the car is running, you'll want to have the valve covers off and redo each rocker one by one (not following the numbers above) one side at a time. Back off the set screw again, loosen the lock, the rocker will clank and wobble around. Then follow the same procedure as before...slowly turn the lock til it seats, add 1/2 turn, seat the set screw, tighten the lock good and tight. Then move on the the next one.

The adjust the second time around should make your rockers PERFECTLY aligned. It's best to adjust them again with the car running to make sure that your first adjustment wasn't off because the lifters bled down or anything.
Thank you! I had forgotten this process and my friend who taught it to me has passed away. I knew there was a way to do it with two positions of the crank.
Old 02-08-2009 | 09:47 PM
TECH Regular

yea i looked every where and this forum rocks

Quick Reply: push rod 503