LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Big vs Small heads debate

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

This goes right into the basket of "Why does everyone think that when someone modifies their car, it is automatically a drag car?". People pick parts to fit their application. Similarly, people pick parts that fit their BUDGET! There's also picking of available parts. While we are a SBC for the most part, you still have to factor in the budget part then, since you can buy the heads with more potential for cheaper, you're having to "retrofit" (there is no antonym to retrofit heh) it our LT1s which costs a fair bit. Since not many of us are going for builds as insane as some of you, the stock castings suffice just fine

Just like the "How much power can I make for $xxxx" or "How fast can I go for $xxxx". All depends on the plans for the car

So I think that saying "You guys really dont get it do you?" is quite far off of what the truth is. What would've been more accurate to have said is "I really don't understand people quite as well as I think I do, and this Minnesotan winter is starting to get annoying already! So I'm just going to vent a bit, and rant about head port volume!"
Old 02-07-2009, 09:46 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well put my friend ^^ after I read "you guy's just don't get it do you" I didn't want to respond...respond in a nice way that is
Old 02-07-2009, 09:55 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
Engine is an airpump period, no matter who made it.
Pull that line when talking about something fundamental to gasoline engines like valve events.

Different engines like different port sizes and shapes on their heads, period. Just saying "bigger is better" is very rarely ALWAYS true.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:25 AM
Grr
TECH Fanatic

The point i was trying to make is people ask legitimate questions about running big SBC heads, or big AFRs, and they get 10-20 responses of " WTF would you do that for, AI/LE ported stockers make more power than god." There are many applications where you just need that much more volume. Any 383 or bigger motor will have a pretty hefty draw in the port with a small cross section head, its simple physics. Now with a tiny 1.94 valve its a pretty moot point to have a bigger runner as the valve becomes a large limit.

I am far from a stranger to engines and their components, to the guy who says i started a topic i know nothing about, f-you. Do you have any idea the # of compromises their are in porting a stock casting? Do you know how much epoxy it takes to get a really high quaility port in one? Honestly they are pretty terrible heads (not for stock, but in a performance app). Some of us make pretty good power, i get bored if i have less than 500whp for my daily driver honestly. I will admit that the stock heads did better than i had expected. As they are 100% unported and i was in the 600whp area, but, it really was falling over at around 5800.

And if your one who thinks that a ported stock casting is superior to a large aftermarket casting, i stand by my statement that you dont get it. There is alot more to a new casting than just a superior port. Add that to the fact i think most of the ported stock castings are rediculously overpriced. And BTW, you can get into a set of decent heads for alot cheaper than most think. Do the reasearch and find the deals.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:54 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
Pull that line when talking about something fundamental to gasoline engines like valve events.

Different engines like different port sizes and shapes on their heads, period. Just saying "bigger is better" is very rarely ALWAYS true.

Did I say ANYWHERE that "bigger is always better"?

You need to do a little research, look and see what CC head comes in stock applications nowadays.

ANd I stand by my statement, an engine is an airpump, the cam is the controller of that airpump.
Old 02-08-2009, 10:57 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Grr
The point i was trying to make is people ask legitimate questions about running big SBC heads, or big AFRs, and they get 10-20 responses of " WTF would you do that for, AI/LE ported stockers make more power than god." There are many applications where you just need that much more volume. Any 383 or bigger motor will have a pretty hefty draw in the port with a small cross section head, its simple physics. Now with a tiny 1.94 valve its a pretty moot point to have a bigger runner as the valve becomes a large limit.
Well, if that's the point you were trying to make initially, you blew it by comparing an LS1 head to an LT1 head. I agree with what you said in this post though.

Originally Posted by Grr
I am far from a stranger to engines and their components, to the guy who says i started a topic i know nothing about, f-you. Do you have any idea the # of compromises their are in porting a stock casting? Do you know how much epoxy it takes to get a really high quaility port in one? Honestly they are pretty terrible heads (not for stock, but in a performance app). Some of us make pretty good power, i get bored if i have less than 500whp for my daily driver honestly. I will admit that the stock heads did better than i had expected. As they are 100% unported and i was in the 600whp area, but, it really was falling over at around 5800.
I agree with the number of compromises once the aluminum starts flying, lol.

Originally Posted by Grr
And if your one who thinks that a ported stock casting is superior to a large aftermarket casting, i stand by my statement that you dont get it. There is alot more to a new casting than just a superior port. Add that to the fact i think most of the ported stock castings are rediculously overpriced. And BTW, you can get into a set of decent heads for alot cheaper than most think. Do the reasearch and find the deals.
100% agree. That paragraph should be a sticky for all to read and memorize. Especially the bolded part.
Old 02-08-2009, 11:36 AM
TECH Fanatic

I want a decent set of heads for cheap
Old 02-08-2009, 11:44 AM

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

The premise of this thread was started largely upon opinion and is quickly starting to turn into the all so familiar "LS1tech.com LT1 cylinder head war". Just because one head works for one person doesn't mean it is the best for another (price, application, etc..).

This thread is going nowhere constructive and therefore it's being closed.

Jason

Quick Reply: Big vs Small heads debate