LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Ebay Headers Are Here

Old 02-24-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Good deal. Just curious because I had issues with my old set up and the MSD's burning up. Keep a close eye on them. Good luck and the headers look nice.
Thanks for the warning, I'll keep an eye on them.

Originally Posted by BTC
Aren't those cheaper than LPP's?
They are ($489), and they come with emission fittings which I need (which is why I didn't buy LPPs).

How do you like your GMMG with longtubes?
Old 02-24-2009, 03:29 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by spudnick3119
How do you like your GMMG with longtubes?
If you're talking to me, I like the exhaust and think it sounds very nice. But my car has been on jack stands since the install, so I really have no idea what kind of driving experience it will provide.
Old 02-24-2009, 05:36 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BTC
Aren't they making more?
Yes, they are. Should be out pretty soon. The new design will be far superior to the first batch "fitment wise" and be a bit more in cost.
Old 02-26-2009, 09:46 PM
TECH Apprentice

Passenger side done. Zip-tied the wires away the best I could. Header bolted down again with no hitches, bolt holes lined up perfect. EGR was a pain to reconnect, make sure to attach it to the header before bolting it back to the intake.

Dipstick was also a PITA. We bent it a little bit taking it out, so we rebent it the best we could and sanded it down a little bit. Hit it a few times with a rubber mallet and it went right in but the bracket had to be bent a little to attach to the block.

Still waiting for the proper AIR connections to arrive, so tomorrow I'll probably go and get caps temporarily and fire it up.

The only really close area, don't know if it will rattle or not.

Overall, the headers were a perfect fit. Definitely beyond my expectations.
Old 02-27-2009, 09:01 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Looks great!! Can't wait to hear it!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Apprentice

Sorry for the long wait, but its hard to find spare time with school and work. Everything is back together and all done. The y-pipe went on great before we added the cats (2 Thunderbolt metallic ones). There is no reason why anyone would not be happy buying these headers and y. The fit and finish were again just great. No fitment issues or close areas. You would be crazy to spend more on Pacesetters now than these when these will outlast any mild steel header.

Then we cut up the y pipe to put the cats in. My dad and I measured and welded everything ourselves and was our first time welding stainless with a MIG. Luckily everything worked out OK. Passenger side is easy, driver side is close to the front torque arm mount but it shouldn't touch. It kinda sucks trying to measure and mark the pipes while we are laying on our backs on the floor. A lift would be sooo nice. I should also mention that the end of the y-pipe needed to be flared a little bit to fit over the GMMG (the catback also needed to be cut about an inch or two). It tucks up pretty nice, the cats are the lowest point, just underneath the SFCs. The cross brace also went back on without the need for spacers.

As for sound, its quieter at idle than with the manifolds. However, everywhere else is louder. I haven't started the car in a while, but it sounds a little less deep than before, but for the better. Its hard to explain, but it barks now instead of just noise. I'm taking it out tomorrow so I'll be sure to get more pics and some video of it.
Old 03-15-2009, 10:19 PM
11 Second Club

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cool deal!!!!
Old 03-15-2009, 11:02 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Shouldn't the y-pipe go inside the catback?
Old 03-16-2009, 05:54 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad everything worked out for you.
Old 03-16-2009, 07:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Good deal! Can't wait to hear it!
Old 03-16-2009, 03:38 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by BTC
Shouldn't the y-pipe go inside the catback?
I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure on that. The y-pipe and catback were so close to fitting originally, that the y-pipe just needed a tiny bit of flare to go over the catback. The GMMG pipe was the smaller diameter of the two pieces originally.

No pictures today or video as I only got to drive around a little bit. Ground clearance is OK, the cats kiss a tiny bit over an incline but no biggie if I take it slow (keep in mind I'm lowered about 1.3"). Sound is amazing. Its definitely louder today at idle now that everything is together. Its a good bit louder than before while driving, but nothing ear shattering, just a nice deep tone. The cats really helped with rasp as there really is none. Wide open sounds wicked, everybody looks around like WTF is making all the noise. The headers also started to turn a nice golden color so far. Now I just need to keep checking the header bolts to make sure none come loose.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:01 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Man must sound good brings back memories. Glad to see you went with the GMMG. GMMG and LT's is by far the best Y-Pipe setup known to man on a 4th gen F-Body. I will have to hear it maybe next year at the meet at that park or something.
Old 03-16-2009, 04:24 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think so, but I'm not 100% sure on that. The y-pipe and catback were so close to fitting originally, that the y-pipe just needed a tiny bit of flare to go over the catback. The GMMG pipe was the smaller diameter of the two pieces originally.

No pictures today or video as I only got to drive around a little bit. Ground clearance is OK, the cats kiss a tiny bit over an incline but no biggie if I take it slow (keep in mind I'm lowered about 1.3"). Sound is amazing. Its definitely louder today at idle now that everything is together. Its a good bit louder than before while driving, but nothing ear shattering, just a nice deep tone. The cats really helped with rasp as there really is none. Wide open sounds wicked, everybody looks around like WTF is making all the noise. The headers also started to turn a nice golden color so far. Now I just need to keep checking the header bolts to make sure none come loose.
you weren't parked on main street in northampton around 430 today were you?
i think i have seen you around before.. actually you might be the one that came up to me at sheets the one night.
i have def seen the car around, and it is beautiful.
i have the beat looking trans am, (black) with exhaust leaks, and always dirty. i guess thats what happens when you DD it.

headers look good, im rear curious as to how long they will hold up. they are not SS autochrome are they?

aaron
Old 03-16-2009, 09:06 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by Bowtie_Aaron
you weren't parked on main street in northampton around 430 today were you?
i think i have seen you around before.. actually you might be the one that came up to me at sheets the one night.
i have def seen the car around, and it is beautiful.
i have the beat looking trans am, (black) with exhaust leaks, and always dirty. i guess thats what happens when you DD it.

headers look good, im rear curious as to how long they will hold up. they are not SS autochrome are they?

aaron
Nope, wasn't me. Northampton is a ways away from me. Although I'd be curious to know who it was since I've never seen another LT1 Hawk around.

The headers are not autochromes, they are sold by E-Sales Race Distribution on eBay.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:11 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

I'm pretty sure that my Kooks Y-Pipe went inside my GMMG catback. I know that my y-pipe fit over the collectors on the headers. It may not be a big deal, but I would think it would be less likely to leak if the pipe from which the exhaust is flowing went inside the pipe to which it is being connected. My 2 piece Kooks y-pipe was the same way. The piece coming off the drivers side primary fit inside the passenger side piece of the y-pipe.
Old 03-16-2009, 09:54 PM
Launching!

Nope, wasn't me. Northampton is a ways away from me. Although I'd be curious to know who it was since I've never seen another LT1 Hawk around.

The headers are not autochromes, they are sold by E-Sales Race Distribution on eBay.
oh didnt take notice yours is a hawk, sorry. the other black one is a formula with a lt1 ws6 hood on it real nice looking car. i have only ever seen my bird, that formula, and a white ta around, everything else is ls1.

aaron
Old 03-21-2009, 08:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Finally got a chance to take two videos. Both were taken with two different cameras and neither got the sound close. One is too quiet and the other is better, but not what it sounds like in person. Will get pics of ground clearance tomorrow when it gets a bath. Its not bad, but the y-pipe does slightly scrape occasionally going up the driveway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u713C4FnVxE
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gmKS306py18
Old 03-21-2009, 08:57 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Sounds awesome!!!
Old 03-21-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Man I need headers now. I have a GMMG, and would love to have headers. I tried to find those on Ebay and couldn't. Where exactly did you come across those?
Old 03-22-2009, 12:22 PM

So much for all the people whining about you not getting brand name headers because the fitment would be a problem. Now we just need dyno numbers

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Ebay Headers Are Here