LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

strange starter issue on t56 conversion

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Chevyguy358
Yes I am using the correct bolts, they are the same ones I used with the old setup. The movement I am refering to is minimal and is a result of the slop between the bolt diameter and the holes it travels through. When bolted down and snug it no longer moves know that i have shimmed it, however before it wouldmove b/c, i would assume, the gears were too close to each other causing a bind
So are you saying when the bolts aren't fully tightened it wiggles, and when you tighten them, it doesn't?
You you shimmed it when you had a flex plate on there? If so I would remove the shim now that you have a new flywheel on there.
Old 02-18-2009, 07:06 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
So are you saying when the bolts aren't fully tightened it wiggles, and when you tighten them, it doesn't?
You you shimmed it when you had a flex plate on there? If so I would remove the shim now that you have a new flywheel on there.
Nah rather when I had the flex plate on there I simply bolted it down and it was fine. So I initially did the same with the t56 and thats when i started having issues, at this point it would move as it was cranking b/c the gears were binding (even when tightened snug). so I shimmed it and that helped with the obvious stress that was on the starter as it was easier to start and the starter no longer "bucked" or moved. However now it still has some noise like the gear is staying in contact with the flywheel.
Old 02-18-2009, 08:55 PM
TECH Regular

I need one of these GD inspection covers also, all you BEEOCHes that are hording them out there help a bro out, they used to sell them for what $4???
Old 02-18-2009, 09:37 PM
TECH Regular

yea def. get one...I'm worried that im damaging my flywheel i can see a significant amount of shavings in the bell housing
Old 02-19-2009, 10:37 AM
On The Tree

The inspection shield has nothing to do with the alignment of the starter as stated before, and the compression isnt an issue for a stock starter either. I was using a stock unit with 13:1 and never had an issue. Also as stated if your starter is wiggling at all then something is keeping you from tightening it to the block correctly. I have never seen a 4th gen have to be shimmed to get the starter to fit correctly. My stocker fit perfect, and now I have a mini starter and it didnt need a shim either.

Quick Reply: strange starter issue on t56 conversion