LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I need help car won't start DD

Old 02-19-2009, 06:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default I need help car won't start DD

ok havn't had any luck w/ help lets see if ya could help out. so i just got done installing a new clutch kit and flywheel. after i was done i took it for a test drive. the clutch pedal felt really soft and would only engage at the floor. it was really hard to put the car in gear and reverse. kinda like it was having a lil trouble engaging when on idle but once i got it rolling it was changing gears just fine, still the clutch was really soft and would only engage at the floor. well after the test drive seemed a lil wierd but fine i guess. well right as i took the car down the drive way and stoped and before the street i kinda stall the car out. well the clutch gets really stiff and the car wont even turn over. seems like its locked up and wont even start. and this is where im stock at. someone plz help this is my dd thanks.
Old 02-19-2009, 07:54 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by sepno77
ok havn't had any luck w/ help lets see if ya could help out. so i just got done installing a new clutch kit and flywheel. after i was done i took it for a test drive. the clutch pedal felt really soft and would only engage at the floor. it was really hard to put the car in gear and reverse. kinda like it was having a lil trouble engaging when on idle but once i got it rolling it was changing gears just fine, still the clutch was really soft and would only engage at the floor. well after the test drive seemed a lil wierd but fine i guess. well right as i took the car down the drive way and stoped and before the street i kinda stall the car out. well the clutch gets really stiff and the car wont even turn over. seems like its locked up and wont even start. and this is where im stock at. someone plz help this is my dd thanks.
Did the new clutch kit come with a new T/O bearing? Did you remove the clutch fork or just pull it out? I would get under the car and check to see that the clutch fork is positioned correctly. Is the slave cylinder fully seated on the bell housing?
Old 02-19-2009, 11:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

yes i replaced the t/o bearing. I just pulled the fork out, ill check recheck the fork and the slave cylinder tomorrow. is it possible that the pressure plate was tq down to hard. what would cause the clutch to work then stop working and become stiff
Old 02-20-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

yes i replaced the t/o bearing. I just pulled the fork out, ill check recheck the fork and the slave cylinder tomorrow. is it possible that the pressure plate was tq down to hard. what would cause the clutch to work then stop working and become stiff
Not sure what did you torque the pressure plate to?
Old 02-20-2009, 09:48 AM
TECH Enthusiast

i didn't use a tq wrench for the pp only the fly. would a bad slave cause alot of free play in the clutch pedal and then cause it to get really stif and spongy and not let the car start. it dosn't even turn over sounds like a clunking noise like its locked up. i press the pedal in and heard a weird noies.
Old 02-20-2009, 09:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

i didn't use a tq wrench for the pp only the fly. would a bad slave cause alot of free play in the clutch pedal and then cause it to get really stif and spongy and not let the car start. it dosn't even turn over sounds like a clunking noise like its locked up. i press the pedal in and heard a weird noies.
I think the only thing to do now is unbolt the slave and inspect the fork. If that gives you nothing, you are going to have to drop the tranny and investigate.
Old 02-20-2009, 10:02 AM
TECH Enthusiast

that sucks not exactly what i wanted to hear. o well gotta do what i gotta do. btw what exactly should i be looking for when i get the trany off?
Old 02-20-2009, 10:04 AM
TECH Fanatic

a bad slave will cause all kinds of clutch problems, dirty fluid in the slave will cause all kinds of problems...did you bleed the slave??
Old 02-20-2009, 10:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

that sucks not exactly what i wanted to hear. o well gotta do what i gotta do. btw what exactly should i be looking for when i get the trany off?
You won't like this answer either...anything out of the ordinary.

Originally Posted by JB_97ws6TA
a bad slave will cause all kinds of clutch problems, dirty fluid in the slave will cause all kinds of problems...did you bleed the slave??
That's a good start, check your fluid in your reservoir.
Old 02-21-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Enthusiast

ok i fixed it!!! it sucked but job is done prity much. so this is what happend. the slave went out and pushed the fork all the way in and prity much got stock on the pp and the spring on the throw out bearing popd off, so i had to take the trany back out again and buy a new slave. i ended up reusing my old throw out bearing cause it was still good and fixed up the pp. put it all back together and clutch pedal didn't have any pressure. forgot to bleed it. im smart. well blead the system and works fine. only thing now is changing gears is still really notchy. im gonna try puting some more trany fluid in it sence i droped alot of it and try breaking in the clutch a lil more. hopfully that will fix my problem.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I need help car won't start DD