LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Optispark Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2009, 10:13 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
You posted this to be a douchebag, plain and simple.
No, I actually didn't! I'm really sorry you feel that way :\ I keep my grudges against people in the threads that the debate is in, I don't bring it to other threads and become a forum troll. I'm sincere in that I'm sorry you think I posted it to be an ***. The second half of the post where I said that the chances are it slipping are pretty far off, wasn't directed at you, but to the OP. Me putting in googolplex was just my attempt at a bit of humor.

Again, sorry.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:17 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Cat fight!
Old 02-23-2009, 10:19 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BTC
Cat fight!
Trying not to be, on my end at least :\
Old 02-24-2009, 04:04 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Badazz 97 TA
i dont see the slipping??? i see a museum engine moving really slow
The gear wasnt even aligned. It was slipping bad. I have other videos. It as making a horrible grinding sound too.. Even the musuem example is a POS
Old 02-24-2009, 08:46 AM
Staging Lane

Mine did the same thing. When I dyno'd mine you could see it and it looked like some detonation, which is what we thought so we shut it down. Ended up blowing the stock Opti a couple weeks later.

Your mechanic has **** for brains. I bought an MSD from Summit not knowing what i was doing. I paid the $550 and went on with life thinking it was fine, only to blow the distributor a week after it was installed. The rotor couldn't handle the vibrations and the set screw came out. The shop did the best they could to bring the MSD back, and put a SH!TLOAD of loc-tite on the set screw. Opti is the worst invention ever!

And to the "you can't do better than a stock GM Opti" explain why my GM Opti shattered into a million pieces please.
Old 02-24-2009, 08:56 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Originally Posted by PWND3r
And to the "you can't do better than a stock GM Opti" explain why my GM Opti shattered into a million pieces please.
OK. I retract my statement. It sounds like your MSD opti was much more reliable than an original equipment piece. A million pieces? That's impressive.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
OK. I retract my statement. It sounds like your MSD opti was much more reliable than an original equipment piece. A million pieces? That's impressive.
Old 02-24-2009, 09:57 AM
TECH Regular

Mine did the same thing. When I dyno'd mine you could see it and it looked like some detonation, which is what we thought so we shut it down. Ended up blowing the stock Opti a couple weeks later.

Your mechanic has **** for brains. I bought an MSD from Summit not knowing what i was doing. I paid the $550 and went on with life thinking it was fine, only to blow the distributor a week after it was installed. The rotor couldn't handle the vibrations and the set screw came out. The shop did the best they could to bring the MSD back, and put a SH!TLOAD of loc-tite on the set screw. Opti is the worst invention ever!

Wow, maybe your shop should invest in a torsional harmonic vibration dampner for your motor... Fluidamper and a ATI make really nice ones...

honestly, if the optispark is grenading, what are YOU doing wrong... a part does not explode because it is used within spec...

Sounds like you either a) need a better engine builder, b) need to spend some more money on the proper parts or c) are beyond the LT1 design and should go with a standalone computer...

If the stock computer can run your motor jsut fine, then there is absoloutly no reason why **** should be exploding... Trust me I have broken my share of parts, including a few optispark rotors, but that was because of other issues not being addresses, not because the part wasn't designed properly...

If you want to *FIX* it while retaining the PCM, then simple, get a Delteq or LTCC, remove the rotor, lock the optical disc down and you won't have to worry about grenading rotors... The Fluidamper or ATI is a must in either case if that is happening...
Old 02-24-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Regular

Oh, and if this is a 'stock' shortblock or something along those lines you have much bigger issues... Ie, something is definitly wrong, as in maybe too much slack in the timing set, valvetrain issues, motor not balanced properly, crank hub is not clocked right because they do not come keyed and can and do slip screwing up the balance (the stock hub has weights in it on some LT1s which are used to balance things out, some have no weights in them), etc etc...
Old 02-24-2009, 10:26 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Or the dowel pin on the cam is too long.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:33 AM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Or the dowel pin on the cam is too long.
There is that as well, but the only time I have seen that you could tell something was wrong because of the noise being made...
Old 02-24-2009, 03:10 PM
Staging Lane

Ok, since you all want to be asses.

Livernois built my motor, so I highly doubt I have to get a better engine builder.

Not a million pieces, I'm glad I'm back in high school so I have to be more specific, maybe I'll count them next time, and yes I'm talking about the rotor shattering. Not the whole damn thing grenading.

I also have a Fluidyne Damper, I've boughten the best of the best when it comes to parts (when I can afford it). And have yet to go down the cheap street. So I doubt it has anything to do with cheap parts.

Yes, maybe the shop installed the MSD wrong. Which I do not doubt. But it's also the part where I read up on MSD's and read everything that happens to them and all the horror stories. Why does the majority on this site have to be immature idiots, and blow everything out of proportion?

Next time something happens, I am going to get a Delteq set-up. But for now all is well. All I'm stating is my point here and what had happened to me. I'm not trying to jump in the little crowd of who has the biggest dick.
Old 02-24-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula350
Not 100% true. While it's not a gear, it's a splined shaft, pretty damn close to the same thing. Chances of it actually stripping though are 1 in a googolplex (huge number, check the link) I bet.

Yeah is urs spline or pin driven, if you don't know what year is your vehicle. There not to bad to replace its just taking all the stuff in the way of it. Anyways I'd get a jegs replacement its what i have like 170 an its nota reman. Just go around check plugs an the icm, maybe it just misfiring or dead on one cylinder. you won't notice if its dead at 55 or so cause the vehicle wil lrun smooth but you'll tell when you hit the gas
Old 02-24-2009, 03:41 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Ok, since you all want to be asses.

Livernois built my motor, so I highly doubt I have to get a better engine builder.

Not a million pieces, I'm glad I'm back in high school so I have to be more specific, maybe I'll count them next time, and yes I'm talking about the rotor shattering. Not the whole damn thing grenading.

I also have a Fluidyne Damper, I've boughten the best of the best when it comes to parts (when I can afford it). And have yet to go down the cheap street. So I doubt it has anything to do with cheap parts.

Yes, maybe the shop installed the MSD wrong. Which I do not doubt. But it's also the part where I read up on MSD's and read everything that happens to them and all the horror stories. Why does the majority on this site have to be immature idiots, and blow everything out of proportion?

Next time something happens, I am going to get a Delteq set-up. But for now all is well. All I'm stating is my point here and what had happened to me. I'm not trying to jump in the little crowd of who has the biggest dick.
I didn't realize the original poster was inquring about coil on plug systems. My response was clearly in reference to his mechanic's statement about MSD & "optisparks". If you wanted to broaden the discussion beyond the typical LT1 ignition arrangement, there are probably more tactful approaches than simply being an *** yourself.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:25 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by BTC
I didn't realize the original poster was inquring about coil on plug systems. My response was clearly in reference to his mechanic's statement about MSD & "optisparks". If you wanted to broaden the discussion beyond the typical LT1 ignition arrangement, there are probably more tactful approaches than simply being an *** yourself.
You're the one that brought this up to what it is. I'm glad you like to point finger's though. You're the one who said Delteq, and I stated; that I'd look into them.

I simply stated what happened to me, and my situation. Then you got on here like a highschooler and started saying stuff, so I backed myself up and what I had to say.

All I did was simply answer the OP's question to what he had posted. Go back and read again. I'm done with this thread. You can continue bickering and making senseless post's and quotes from others.

To the OP, I'm sorry that the thread went over-board. Honestly, I'd read up on what to go with, and I'd read up a little more to see what is happening to it, but to me it sounds like your Opti is going, thats the same thing that happened to me. I stated what happened to me above. Again, I apologize.
Old 02-24-2009, 04:59 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

You're the one that brought this up to what it is. I'm glad you like to point finger's though. You're the one who said Delteq, and I stated; that I'd look into them.

I simply stated what happened to me, and my situation. Then you got on here like a highschooler and started saying stuff, so I backed myself up and what I had to say.

All I did was simply answer the OP's question to what he had posted. Go back and read again. I'm done with this thread. You can continue bickering and making senseless post's and quotes from others.

To the OP, I'm sorry that the thread went over-board. Honestly, I'd read up on what to go with, and I'd read up a little more to see what is happening to it, but to me it sounds like your Opti is going, thats the same thing that happened to me. I stated what happened to me above. Again, I apologize.
Please point out where I said anything about Delteq. In response to the original post, which appeared to be about optisparks only, I said it's pretty widely accepted that you can't do better than a GM opti. Your response to that statement was to "explain why my GM Opti shattered into a million pieces please". Unless you actually expected that I would have an answer for that, I figured you were just being an ***. If you did expect me to have an answer, I really have no idea why it shattered into a million pieces.
Old 02-24-2009, 11:15 PM
sbs
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
You come off as a know-it-all with probably VERY little actual real-world experience.
Nice to know that I'm not the only one who's sick of F350's post whoring with usually-incorrect tech info that he (mis)read on the internet somewhere...
Old 02-25-2009, 09:45 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by sbs
Nice to know that I'm not the only one who's sick of F350's post whoring with usually-incorrect tech info that he (mis)read on the internet somewhere...
I'm always opened to being corrected, so don't come in here saying I'm providing bad/misinformation when you're not doing anything to help the matter. And only about 15% of the stuff I post about I learned on the forums here. If the other 85% is 'incorrect' then it's amazing the broken vehicles I've worked on were fixed after

Said it numerous times before, and I'll say it countless times again, I'm all for people correcting me if you can back it up. I mean here, all I said was that the 92-94 had a splined shaft, and that is the truth.

Quick Reply: Optispark Slipping