LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Optispark Slipping

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2009, 04:11 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Optispark Slipping

hey guys i haven't been on here in a whle been busy at work... i'm having a problem with my 94Z A4 with the optispark.... well the other day i opend her up and when i got to about 4500 rpms the car started sputtering really bad the only way i can explain the sputtering was it sounded like a "machine Gun" i don't know how else to explain it.... it's a GM optispark about a Year old maybe has 10K on it.... i was told by a local mechanic that the gear on the inside of the opti is stripped or the gear on the cam could be stripped... he said if i'ts not an msd that it is crap pretty much.....has anyone had this problem before? will i need a new distributor or a new cam?...... i did a search and couldn't find much on this
Old 02-22-2009, 04:14 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm not sure what's wrong, but with regards to the MSD I would say your mechanic doesn't really know what he's talking about. It's pretty widely accepted that you can't really do better than the GM opti.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:15 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

you should be getting a "random cyl. misfire code" have you scanned it?
Old 02-22-2009, 04:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Not to mention there's no "gear" inside of the optispark to strip. Sounds like he thinks the optispark is driven like a conventional rear distributor.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:20 PM
On The Tree

Hmm I think if there was a gear to strip it would of jumped time so bad you would be walking home. It's just your opti telling you NO MORE NO MORE I'm tired. check to make sure your not leaking coolant into your opti I killed one because of my waterpump same symptoms. 4500 to 5000 hiccup spit sputter and a occasional fart.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Not to mention there's no "gear" inside of the optispark to strip. Sounds like he thinks the optispark is driven like a conventional rear distributor.
Not 100% true. While it's not a gear, it's a splined shaft, pretty damn close to the same thing. Chances of it actually stripping though are 1 in a googolplex (huge number, check the link) I bet.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 PM
Launching!

yea one of the hoses took a crap and leaked coolant and i'm pretty sure it went into the distributor.... when i'm idling it idles pretty rough and it feels real gut less.... i haven't scanned it yet i'm planning on doing it tomorrow
Old 02-22-2009, 04:22 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

I agree that if the drive gear was stripped it probably wouldn't run at all. Maybe this could be a symptom of a loose rotor.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:23 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Formula350
Not 100% true. While it's not a gear, it's a splined shaft, pretty damn close to the same thing. Chances of it actually stripping though are 1 in a googleplex (huge number, check the link) I bet.
Wow.

Do you feel better now because you think you've corrected me, because I definitely corrected you in another thread?
Old 02-22-2009, 04:26 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Wow.
The unvented optis are driven differently than the vented optis. There is a keyed, splined shaft that inserts into the end of the camshaft.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:28 PM
Launching!

Originally Posted by BTC
I agree that if the drive gear was stripped it probably wouldn't run at all. Maybe this could be a symptom of a loose rotor.
do you think if i were to buy just a cap and roatar that i would be fine? maybe with an msd cap and rotar correct this?
Old 02-22-2009, 04:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by BTC
The unvented optis are driven differently than the vented optis. There is a keyed, splined shaft that inserts into the end of the camshaft.
Thanks Bill...I know this already. Seperate issue.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by LT1_King
do you think if i were to buy just a cap and roatar that i would be fine? maybe with an msd cap and rotar correct this?
People have reported hit and miss success with the MSD opti components. Take the advice earlier in the thread and replace it with the genuine GM complete opti.
Old 02-22-2009, 04:35 PM
Launching!

ok well thankx guys i'll let yal know what turns up
Old 02-22-2009, 04:53 PM
TECH Senior Member

Wow.

Do you feel better now because you think you've corrected me, because I definitely corrected you in another thread?
I actually don't know wth you're referring too. And I wasn't posting that as a total correction of what you said, but more as a general knowledge to the others. So please remove head from ****, at least for the sake of everyone else.
Old 02-23-2009, 06:14 AM
TECH Regular

I actually don't know wth you're referring too. And I wasn't posting that as a total correction of what you said, but more as a general knowledge to the others. So please remove head from ****, at least for the sake of everyone else.
Sorry, you are one of the biggest ***** on this board... You come off as a know-it-all with probably VERY little actual real-world experience. You seem much more apt to be a major brown-nose and a wanna-be...

I mean look at your sig, if that is ALL you ever have done, I would TRUELY STFU as any sort of authority to anyone... And being a backyard redneck mechanic DOES NOT qualify you for answering technical advice...
Old 02-23-2009, 06:23 AM
12 Second Club

Here is a prime example of optispark slipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xhBQIw-dUo
Old 02-23-2009, 08:42 AM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Joshiedoom
Here is a prime example of optispark slipping.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7xhBQIw-dUo

i dont see the slipping??? i see a museum engine moving really slow
Old 02-23-2009, 10:01 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
Sorry, you are one of the biggest ***** on this board... You come off as a know-it-all with probably VERY little actual real-world experience. You seem much more apt to be a major brown-nose and a wanna-be...

I mean look at your sig, if that is ALL you ever have done, I would TRUELY STFU as any sort of authority to anyone... And being a backyard redneck mechanic DOES NOT qualify you for answering technical advice...
I won't deny that I can be a ********, but I'm only one to those who are either one to me, to others or are just being close minded. Like you in the LS1 PCM thread.

Now, what does my sig have to do with my experience? Not a single thing. My sig reflects my car, and what is done to it. It doesn't say that I've stuffed a 650hp 468 BBC into an S10, before there were any sort of headers to buy so we had to totally custom make them from kits. Or dropping a 350 into a Fox Body, having to custom make a steering shaft, exhaust from the motor back and building up that motor.

So don't assume about me. Allow me to quote you a line from a movie that is so true: "Assumptions are the mother of all **** ups". While assuming what I know and don't isn't going to muck anything up, it just makes you look like a bigger **** than I am. And while I've slightly turned into Capricemgr on being a dick, I at least don't do it to the users who ask silly questions and then blast them with the info they were asking. I post in many threads to questions people have and provide accurate and helpful info quite often. I'm well aware that I don't know everything, but that's exactly why I'm here, to learn! So just because I don't have the money to further mod my car, doesn't mean I don't know anything about them from working on other's or friend's cars.

Also I posted what I did, because there is a spline shaft on the 92-94 LT1s that could strip and slip, yet I don't see that being very likely. As I stated, I wasn't posting that as a "Matter of fact" correction, just an addition to what he said.
Old 02-23-2009, 10:09 AM
TECH Senior Member

Also I posted what I did, because there is a spline shaft on the 92-94 LT1s that could strip and slip, yet I don't see that being very likely. As I stated, I wasn't posting that as a "Matter of fact" correction, just an addition to what he said.
You posted this to be a douchebag, plain and simple.

Quick Reply: Optispark Slipping