LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Broke my first driveshaft today !

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2009, 10:45 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

All that from a blown shock and pothole??

God
Old 02-27-2009, 03:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey man, your torque arm failed FIRST!! It caused the driveshaft to break. Ive seen it before, shitty ball ends on the arm bent, your axle angled up, then broke the driveshaft. It may have caused the shock to break as well.
Old 02-27-2009, 03:29 PM
12 Second Club

Holy **** look at the carnage..

BTW. it looks like your car set in a lake for about a month.
Hope you get it fixed soon bro!
Old 02-28-2009, 04:14 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ak95ta
Hey man, your torque arm failed FIRST!! It caused the driveshaft to break. Ive seen it before, shitty ball ends on the arm bent, your axle angled up, then broke the driveshaft. It may have caused the shock to break as well.
I took my rear shocks off today and the passenger one was busted. I think what happened was because of the bad shock the torque arm broke then clipped the driveshaft and that's all she wrote.....and b4 anybody else mentions it I know my underbody needs a makeover lol !
Old 02-28-2009, 05:09 AM
12 Second Club

Originally Posted by riceburnerZ28
I took my rear shocks off today and the passenger one was busted. I think what happened was because of the bad shock the torque arm broke then clipped the driveshaft and that's all she wrote.....and b4 anybody else mentions it I know my underbody needs a makeover lol !
hahah someone had to do it man. Glad you got the diagnosis done. Now just gotta slap that wallet
Old 02-28-2009, 05:41 AM
Staging Lane

The main reason it broke is cause they charge you to drive on the roads down there and then they never use the money to fix them!!!
tollsroads.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:58 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Let me suggest another scenario....In picture #1, there appears to be a line scored around the "remains" of the front portion of your driveshaft. I had the same thing happen to me, when I installed an LPE 3" aluminum driveshaft in my car, BUT I had the pinion angle set incorectly.

Instead of having it at 2 degrees negative, I got confused and had it at 2 degrees positive. This caused the shaft to be angled up and whenever I hit a dip in the road at speed, the suspension would compress, and the shaft would contact the e-brake cable bracket in the d'shaft tunnel. This bracket put a groove in my d'shaft, just like yours appears to have, right in the same place.

Once I got the pinion angle set correctly, the problem magically went away.

I'm sure that your bad shock didn't help the situation. What I think happened is that quite possibly your pinion angle was incorrect, the shock was also bad, so when you hit the pothole, the suspension compressed so violently and quickly, you momentarily "bound up" the rear u-joint, and the d'shaft became the "fuse" that blew....
Old 02-28-2009, 09:37 AM
TECH Fanatic

days before I adjusted my pinion angle and there's a good chance that I might have been off....I guess to learn I have to make a few mistakes !
Old 02-28-2009, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

Like I said, the torque arm bent first. That would angle the driveshaft upwards, then sure, it could have rubbed the bracket. I figured it would have broke at the line though. Where was the shock broke at?
Old 02-28-2009, 02:09 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like I said, the torque arm bent first. That would angle the driveshaft upwards, then sure, it could have rubbed the bracket. I figured it would have broke at the line though. Where was the shock broke at?

Not necessarily....The driveshaft is still whipping around after it broke, as it appears to still be connected to the tranny. Therefore, it could have whacked the torque arm, causing the bend. Either way, I don't think I would have wanted to be down there, anywhere near it, to see exactly what happened first....
Old 02-28-2009, 04:45 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by leadfoot4
Not necessarily....The driveshaft is still whipping around after it broke, as it appears to still be connected to the tranny. Therefore, it could have whacked the torque arm, causing the bend. Either way, I don't think I would have wanted to be down there, anywhere near it, to see exactly what happened first....
Except the torque arm would be bent away from it, not towards it. Ive seen 4 torque arms bent exactly like that one, cheap adjustable ends on them. They have all been steel drivshafts though, and usually messes up the u joints.
Old 02-28-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Fanatic

the top shock is the passenger side....it leaked all it's fluid and has completely compressed.
Old 02-28-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Wow i thought MY undercarriage was dirty, you go muddin in this car?

Quick Reply: Broke my first driveshaft today !