LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why is GMMG so damn expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 01:56 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Its a little pricey but being a previous GMMG owner I can assure its well worth the money. No other catback even compares and people who haven't ran that exhaust with LT's can't even say. It sounded so unique and ridiculous that I miss it even with my True Duals. Everyone I know was in love with the way my car sounded and its probaly why I was able to sell the car for not only alot more than it was worth but more than I paid for it.

I'd get it again put I dont want to go back to a Y-pipe setup. I hope to buy an LS1 for a DD and LT's w/ GMMG will be the 1st 2 mods. Wish it were a little cheaper but seems like some of that is because the name unfortunately.

If this isn't the best sounding LT1 I don't know what is:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oKA68ORNdZo

Last edited by StealthFormula; 02-26-2009 at 02:02 PM.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:02 PM
TECH Resident

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

One way to look at it is if you buy high dollar parts and keep them in good shape, chances are you will be able to get some good money back out when you go to sell. Like if you buy a LM2 for $4xx not a good idea unless you plan on keeping it forever and you absolutely love it. But if you buy say a GMMG people will pay big money even if it's used. Borla is a different story though like $800 new but you see them all the time for $350 or so.
Old 02-26-2009, 02:36 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

My naughty bits got bigger after I bought a GMMG.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:21 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've only started to hear about this GMMG exhaust sysetm. I've had my 3" Flow Master American Thunder catback with stainless steel slash cut tips sitting in my basement for the past 2 years so I'm out of the loop, but what is so special abou this GMMG setup? I went to the website and was shocked to find this is a single pipe cat-back exhaust with 2.5" pipes - is that right?? That's peanuts.

I thought Borla's were the cats *** when it came to street type exhausts (can run full open with no muffler). Then the boys who ewre pushing major HP (well over 500hp) were all converting to true duals with x-pipes, or simply going with electonic cutouts, etc...

I heard some clips of this GMMG on youtube. I realise an audio clip isn't the best represetnation but to me the GMMG's all sounded terribly RASPY, just like those damn Borla's. I always liked the flowmaters and even magnaflows RUBMLE in comparison. I had just an 80 series flowmaster muffler with shortyl headers on my Z28 before but loved the sound; I knew when it came time to replace the whole exaust with long tubes that the cat back was giong to be a Flowmaster. Those guys from the manufacturer claim (assure me) that I can have their "aluminized steel" tubes ceramic coated which is what I plan to do from inlet pipe to muffler right down to where the stainless tailpipes start. They say the metal won't crack and that it'll preserve them longer. We'll see.

So are Borla's no longer considered the best factory style (fake dual) exhaust system available for F-bodies?
Old 02-26-2009, 03:29 PM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
I've only started to hear about this GMMG exhaust sysetm. I've had my 3" Flow Master American Thunder catback with stainless steel slash cut tips sitting in my basement for the past 2 years so I'm out of the loop, but what is so special abou this GMMG setup? I went to the website and was shocked to find this is a single pipe cat-back exhaust with 2.5" pipes - is that right?? That's peanuts.

I thought Borla's were the cats *** when it came to street type exhausts (can run full open with no muffler). Then the boys who ewre pushing major HP (well over 500hp) were all converting to true duals with x-pipes, or simply going with electonic cutouts, etc...

I heard some clips of this GMMG on youtube. I realise an audio clip isn't the best represetnation but to me the GMMG's all sounded terribly RASPY, just like those damn Borla's. I always liked the flowmaters and even magnaflows RUBMLE in comparison. I had just an 80 series flowmaster muffler with shortyl headers on my Z28 before but loved the sound; I knew when it came time to replace the whole exaust with long tubes that the cat back was giong to be a Flowmaster. Those guys from the manufacturer claim (assure me) that I can have their "aluminized steel" tubes ceramic coated which is what I plan to do from inlet pipe to muffler right down to where the stainless tailpipes start. They say the metal won't crack and that it'll preserve them longer. We'll see.

So are Borla's no longer considered the best factory style (fake dual) exhaust system available for F-bodies?
The GMMG is a 3" system with dual 2.5" tailpipes. I personally ran Flowmaster American Thunder, Magnaflow, and GMMG catbacks and all with LT's and the GMMG was king. The Flowmaster catback droned like nuts and fell apart after 2 years so off it went for GMMG. The Mag was nice too.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:50 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by djjab57
Both GMMG and Borla are $750 shipped
umm they are 1000 plus shipping. check borlas site.
Old 02-26-2009, 03:52 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DVS LT1

GMMG raspy? id love to see those vids
Old 02-26-2009, 04:07 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Purple95Z28
Someone on hear posted sound clips of a mostly stock LT1 T/A (stock manifolds) with the GMMG catback and I thought it sounded terrible.
lol. my car sounds terrible? I guess you don't like nice rumbles cruisin at about 2500RPMs or a damn nasty scream when you get into it. I get nothing but compliments about the GMMG over the gay RUSTMASTER i had on before

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MF8pYG_aqcg
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rxmvgQR2tYI
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0vdD4ZCfjzc

video of my old flowmaster:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dMjVqcK_NcY

also lol @ the raspy. far from raspy. you want raspy, get a loudmouth. most ******* obnoxious catback. ever. i hate it

TBH GMMG was worth every penny. $750 is up there but you know what? Itll never go bad. and it sounds mean
Old 02-26-2009, 04:17 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

check around, you can find them cheaper
Old 02-26-2009, 04:30 PM
TECH Veteran

i did find the borla for 780 shipped but GMMG sounds so much better than anything else IMO. Its so versatile. Sounds great on a stock car, but if you throw on headers and a cam (like i am) it still sounds amazing
Old 02-26-2009, 04:33 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by hitmanws6
i did find the borla for 780 shipped but GMMG sounds so much better than anything else IMO. Its so versatile. Sounds great on a stock car, but if you throw on headers and a cam (like i am) it still sounds amazing
yeah i cant wait for headers and an ory
Old 02-26-2009, 04:37 PM
TECH Veteran

i would get LT's and an ORY if they were legal here
Old 02-26-2009, 04:38 PM
TECH Cry Baby BOSS APPROVED!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its expensive because people pay their price. Simple as that.
Old 02-26-2009, 04:40 PM
TECH Veteran

thats true. at least they arent as bad as stainless works. 800 bucks plus
Old 02-26-2009, 04:44 PM
TECH Resident

Its not that expensive sense borla is almost $800 and corsa is $1000.

You could just buy Sweet Thunder Chambered mufflers and have a exhaust shop make similiar setup probably won't be stainless though.

http://www.sweet-thunder.com/
Old 02-26-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Addict

GMMG is $750 shipped unless you get those ugly tips with it, then its $900
Old 02-26-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Veteran

i hate those tips on TA's. they belong on camaros. and i thought about having them made but the sound isnt the same from the clips ive heard. i think im gonna see if i can pick up a used one once i have the money and if i need to i will just buy it straight from GMMG
Old 02-26-2009, 06:28 PM
TECH Addict

I hate those tips as well
Old 02-26-2009, 07:39 PM
TECH Veteran

Corsa clones dumdumdum! i wish i knew about them before i picked up my flowmaster slash cut tips
Old 02-26-2009, 09:33 PM
On The Tree

I am lookin to get gmmg too because of the distinct sound... yet i do agree they are expensive.. my magnaflow is very good quality but it has the trademark bent exhaust tip and is too quiet for what i want!

Quick Reply: Why is GMMG so damn expensive?