LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Why is GMMG so damn expensive?

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I don't think its THAT expensive, more than Magnaflow but less than a Corsa. They don't mass produce these, I had to wait a bit to get mine. To those that think its raspy have probably never heard one in person. I have video of mine and it sounds nothing like it does in person. I can't wait to hear it with the long tubes.

I've also had a Flowmaster on the car when I bought it and that was crappy. Cracked and popped on every shift and when slowing down. I don't see why people insist on liking them so much.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:26 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by spudnick3119
I don't think its THAT expensive, more than Magnaflow but less than a Corsa. They don't mass produce these, I had to wait a bit to get mine. To those that think its raspy have probably never heard one in person. I have video of mine and it sounds nothing like it does in person. I can't wait to hear it with the long tubes.

I've also had a Flowmaster on the car when I bought it and that was crappy. Cracked and popped on every shift and when slowing down. I don't see why people insist on liking them so much.
+1! sir
Old 02-26-2009, 10:44 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Where do people get Corsa tips? I've seen the authentic Corsa tips priced over 400 bucks, which seems absolutely nuts.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:16 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
Where do people get Corsa tips? I've seen the authentic Corsa tips priced over 400 bucks, which seems absolutely nuts.
search ebay for trans am exhaust tips or go to afterthoughts auto. they have them for around 100 shipped.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:30 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

I found these dual tips at afterthoughts auto. It looks like each tip might be 100 bucks. Maybe they have others that I didn't see.

http://www.afterthoughtsauto.com/corpros35ext.html

I'm more of a single tip guy. I've only been able to find the dual tips.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:47 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Price: $154.33 on www.stainlessworks.net, Part # STW-CR2525. They have a 3" version as well cr33

This is a chambered muffler, pretty much EXACTLY like the one on the GMMG system. Please note that this muffler is a 2.5" entrance/exit. I've seen alot of people "make" a "GMMG" style system with these, and it sounds just as good for less than half the price.

This could work if you wanted to try to make your own. Need to buy 2 and make it look like this.

Last edited by 8595transam; 02-27-2009 at 12:03 AM.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:54 PM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 8595transam
Stainless Works doesn't make any catback systems, but they sell two other items of interest. Everything they sell is made of stainless steel, BTW.

Price: $129.99 on Summit, Part # STW-CR2525.

This is a chambered muffler, pretty much EXACTLY like the one on the GMMG system. Please note that this muffler is a 2.5" entrance/exit. I've seen alot of people "make" a "GMMG" style system with these, and it sounds just as good for less than half the price.

This could work if you wanted to try to make your own. Need to buy 2 and make it look like this.
Thats Expensive. Here some others Different lengths. Can get aluminized steel or 304 Stainless Steel

http://www.sweet-thunder.com/chamber...html#stainless

They got Catbacks insane price though.

http://www.stainlessworks.net/cart/i...75_476_247_389
Old 02-26-2009, 11:59 PM
On The Tree

Those would work too. Be Nice to hear a clip from someone who made there own.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Addict

i have no tools to make that. thats why i paid for GMMG. and it bolted right on. so im game with it. Also, I do like those corsa tips. looks like the stock tips on my 94 formula.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:03 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by 8595transam
Those would work too. Be Nice to hear a clip from someone who made there own.
Someone got Custom TD Setup for there LS1. Scroll down to Camaro Generation VI (exhaust system)

http://www.sweet-thunder.com/testimonials_photos.html

Here pic of it he got 4 mufflers LOL!
Old 02-27-2009, 12:11 AM
TECH Addict

lol mufflers to replace the cats haha
Old 02-27-2009, 12:43 AM
TECH Resident

There some clips around internet of sweet thunder mufflers.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwoK_...e=channel_page
http://videos.streetfire.net/video/1...eby_198785.htm
http://www.fquick.com/videos/2.5%22_..._mufflers/6216
Old 02-27-2009, 01:36 AM
TECH Veteran

i dont have the tools for that either. and ive heard custom made ones. dont sound the same IMO. i dont want to spend 400 bucks and end up hating the result. so im gonna bite the bullet and save up unless i find one used when the time is right
Old 02-27-2009, 04:05 AM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

That TD set is pretty nice. If people like the GMMG so much, smart move would be to have a competent exhaust shop or performance shop build you one. Borlas used to be the most expensive exhaust at $579 in the late 90s, early 00s. I remember that because I always wanted one for my Trans Am. I never bought cat backs new, had a used Flowmaster I paid $50 for, then a used SLP Loud Mouth I paid $150 for, then my Borla and Y pipe I go together I paid $350 for. I sold that Loud Mouth for what I had in it.
Old 02-27-2009, 08:25 AM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I remember what I miss about online forums now...

First of all, I don't think anybody is calling anybody's specific car "terrible" or "raspy"... no need to get defensive. Different strokes for different blokes.

These are the two clips I happened to look up on youtube of the GMMG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPlhxwKKtus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wCVDotlTVQ

I listened to those clips ThoR294 posted and will say that the car sounds great. Although the last (3rd) clip of the GMMG when you poke the throttle near the end - to me - is what I think sounds raspy. But to you or others it might not and regardless, if you or others like it that's swell.

For durability i can see why so many people would like this GMMG. When my car came off the road in 2005 I had had the 80 seriers flowmaster muffler on it since 1999 and every seam and weld across the muffler showed some rust - and my Z28 was never driven in the rain! (I could honestly count the number of times on 2 hands where this car was ever caught in the rain). And obviously she was stored away well before any snow & salt showed up for winter. So for daily drivers and especially people in the north who get snow I can see the appeal of a stainless system.

To me nothing beats the sound of a flowmaster. The idle; cruising in 3rd (D) or 4th (OD) at 2200 RPM and the car would just boom and belt out rumbles. I don't have to worry about weather or rust, but if I did then I may very look at this GMMG or Borla as weren't the borla's stainless steel as well?

Corsa is another expensive kit I remember hearing good things about. I liked the sound a bit better than the Borla I think.

But when it comes to performance I can't imagine why this GMMG Co. didnt' keep the exhaust pipes 3" (why 2.5"???). And the fact that the Borla's offered their full muffler bypass is probably why so many people swear by them. Makes sense - you go to the track and remove the block off plate completely and run open exhaust after the cat.
Old 02-27-2009, 11:18 AM
TECH Addict

Borla to me is an expensive cut-out. My dad has it on his '93 and it does sound nice. but I would just get a cutout instead .

You gotta hear GMMG in person. The video does it some justice but in the car and outside the car in person is so much better.

Amen to the stainless steel. Im in NJ, we get all the weather. It sucks! That was a big selling point on the GMMG
Old 02-27-2009, 11:39 AM
TECH Addict

i agree with hearing it (GMMG) in person, just make sure you hear it on a LT1 car cause it sounds much better than on a LS car
Old 02-27-2009, 11:54 AM
11 Second Club

Received 54 Likes on 50 Posts

Originally Posted by DVS LT1
I remember what I miss about online forums now...

First of all, I don't think anybody is calling anybody's specific car "terrible" or "raspy"... no need to get defensive. Different strokes for different blokes.

These are the two clips I happened to look up on youtube of the GMMG:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NPlhxwKKtus
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wCVDotlTVQ

I listened to those clips ThoR294 posted and will say that the car sounds great. Although the last (3rd) clip of the GMMG when you poke the throttle near the end - to me - is what I think sounds raspy. But to you or others it might not and regardless, if you or others like it that's swell.

For durability i can see why so many people would like this GMMG. When my car came off the road in 2005 I had had the 80 seriers flowmaster muffler on it since 1999 and every seam and weld across the muffler showed some rust - and my Z28 was never driven in the rain! (I could honestly count the number of times on 2 hands where this car was ever caught in the rain). And obviously she was stored away well before any snow & salt showed up for winter. So for daily drivers and especially people in the north who get snow I can see the appeal of a stainless system.

To me nothing beats the sound of a flowmaster. The idle; cruising in 3rd (D) or 4th (OD) at 2200 RPM and the car would just boom and belt out rumbles. I don't have to worry about weather or rust, but if I did then I may very look at this GMMG or Borla as weren't the borla's stainless steel as well?

Corsa is another expensive kit I remember hearing good things about. I liked the sound a bit better than the Borla I think.

But when it comes to performance I can't imagine why this GMMG Co. didnt' keep the exhaust pipes 3" (why 2.5"???). And the fact that the Borla's offered their full muffler bypass is probably why so many people swear by them. Makes sense - you go to the track and remove the block off plate completely and run open exhaust after the cat.
Thats my old car in the video that your saying is raspy, wasn't rapsy, sound was 100% clear and throaty. Its what a 5 year old el cheapo camera makes it sound like. Half the vids are very inaccurate which is why people really need to hear GMMG in real life its a whole other ball game when you do. GMMG isn't a 2.5" system its a 3" system with 2.5" tailpipes. Having 2.5" tailpipes is no restriction.
Old 02-27-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by StealthFormula
Thats my old car in the video that your saying is raspy, wasn't rapsy, sound was 100% clear and throaty. Its what a 5 year old el cheapo camera makes it sound like. Half the vids are very inaccurate which is why people really need to hear GMMG in real life its a whole other ball game when you do. GMMG isn't a 2.5" system its a 3" system with 2.5" tailpipes. Having 2.5" tailpipes is no restriction.
Your video made me really want to get GMMG haha.
Old 02-27-2009, 01:43 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by spudnick3119

interesting. ive never had the popping problem with mine. it pops some when im revving past 4000 in a parking lot or something. but im just tired of how it has no sound at high revs.

Quick Reply: Why is GMMG so damn expensive?