LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Alternator help

Search this Thread

Old 02-26-2009, 08:51 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Alternator help

I have a 95 z28 camaro and the alternator is not giveing my battery a strong charg. So i got it checked and they told me it works fine. I got a new battery and when the cars on the volt gage is on the red mark like the battery is low. When i took the alternator off i saw that the plug on the bottom of it that snaps in to the alternator had 3 wires 2 red one thicker than the othere and a black one. Only the thin red wire was connected to some green wire and the other 2 are cut. The alternator also makes a huming sound when the car is off so i think that also kills my battery if i dont drive it for a few days. If you all know how that harnes is suppose to be connected or where the wires go let me know or put up some pics so i can rewire it. thanks
Old 02-26-2009, 10:16 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I would hook up a voltmeter to your car to find out if you are actually reading low, or if your gauge is bad.
Old 02-26-2009, 10:34 AM
TECH Enthusiast

do what ss.slp.ls1 said...i had some alternator issues cuz i rebuilt mine but you may want to try rebuilding/buying a new alternator
Old 02-26-2009, 11:24 AM
On The Tree

Its a new alternator i had it for like 4 mothes thats not the problem. The problem is plug on the bottom that snaps in to the alternator it has cut wires and i dont know where they go i need to find out what thoes wires are for.The guy that had the car b 4 me did that and i dont know why. He also has the ac compressor wires spliced into some othere wires by the wires that go to the alternator and and othere ? my lowtrack light stays on all the time and terns off when the cars on that also kills my battery any ideas why thats doing that.
Old 02-26-2009, 11:28 AM
TECH Enthusiast

well the plug in the bottom goes to the voltage regulator...it basically tells the alternator how much or how little charge to put out...im assuming since those wires are cut the check gauges light is on?
Old 02-26-2009, 11:29 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

is it a 3 wire plug? I busted a alt pigtail one time and had to buy a gm universal that had 3 wires but I only used one
Old 02-26-2009, 11:34 AM
9 Second Club

the one green wire should be the only one that needs to be connected.... It goes up to the dash to a warning light per the wiring schematics....

that wire acts as your exciter wire with the bulb (warning light) as the resistor in the circuit to keep full voltage from hitting that tab on the alternator... this is how the alternator regulates voltage. that tab goes to the alternator regulator... you could have burned up the regulator in the alternator.... the alt will still work but won't provide much more than 12 volts....

any trouble starting it???? if you have a constant dead battery i'd pick up a new alternator. start there....
Old 02-26-2009, 11:44 AM
On The Tree

yes its the 3 wire plug but i think the the wires are 2 red and one black....the car terns on fine but if it sits for like 4 or more days and i have not drivin it the battery will lose charge the some thing is draining it... well what i want to know is where are the 3 wires that are coming from the alternator go what color wire do thay go to
Old 02-26-2009, 06:17 PM
TECH Enthusiast

there is only one wire that should be going to the regulator. previous owner may have broken it and didnt know how to remove the pins so just cut and crimped. to find your draw just hook your dmm up in series with the battery and start pulling fuses. when the amps drop youve found the circuit thats drawing power.

Quick Reply: Alternator help