LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LT1 problems again!

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2009, 08:31 AM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The biggest known fact in regards to Optispark replacement is the following:

All AFTERMARKET Optisparks SUCK!!!

If you replace the optispark with anything but a AC Delco/GM replacement you are an idiot. Too many people try to save a buck on the one part you *NEED* to buy OEM. The OEM does not fail at the rate of the aftermarket rebuilds, does not have the issues of the re-engineered aftermarkets (MSD Billet), and I am sure the majority of short-life failures by those that *DID* put a OEM optispark on are largely contributed to installer error.

Now, I do remember hearing at some point that one of the aftermarkets is a re-boxed GM unit. Was it the "Summit" or "Jegs" in-house brand? Anyone have any info on this?

Also, I do not know if the Accel or other big name brand (besides MSD) version are new designs/parts or just GM OEM'd or even rebuilt and branded?

As far as the Autozone and other parts store remanned units, they all suck and have a HIGH failure rate. I would say you are lucky to get a good one out of 3-4 units, and if you do it will last more than 3000 miles (which seems to be the longest a 'bad' one will operate for before dying), but even after that I wouldn't feel comfortable driving to any remote area or for any long distance with it on for fear of being stranded.

The GM OEM units are as good as they get, if you don't have a problem immediately (ie, no DOA), then you are good to go...
Old 03-02-2009, 12:02 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by tording99Z28
I could be wrong but after thinking about it I am pretty sure the LT1 was only used in the Fbody and Ybody for 5 years. 92-96 for Ybodies and 93-97 for Fbodies.
92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97

six years

also used in b-bodies
Old 03-02-2009, 01:58 PM
On The Tree

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had an OEM AC-Delco optispark fail on me within 2 months of purchase. It does not matter who makes that part, you can get a bad one occasionally. Make sure you have power to the coil and the proper ground signal coming to the coil to fire it and check the jumper harness from the opti to wiring harness. I have seen a couple of bad coils, wiring problems and modules on the LT1's, so the opti is not always the problem!!!

Good luck!

Mike
Old 03-02-2009, 04:00 PM
TECH Addict

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

i remember when i did my first Opti install. I got a local place and thought it was a GM opti and it was aftermarket. Went out after a month. Bought a GM one new and put it in ran GREAT. Then the Fuel Pressure Regulator went bad and made it not start on a cold start. Then the Coil went lol then the opti cable was bad i had lots of issues. Also had arching plug wires that caused a high RPM misfire. So i got it all fixed and sold it
Old 03-02-2009, 04:10 PM
10 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by CaribooLou
92, 93, 94, 95, 96, 97

six years

also used in b-bodies
Ok, yes, 6 years total but for each of the respective cars I posted 5 years on each model. Now you guys are just trying to pick apart every little thing I say. The next person to post will probably talk about my spelling or my grammar or something. LOL

Quick Reply: LT1 problems again!