LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Z06 brakes on lt car

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2009, 01:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

IF i could buy the 20 inch wheels i wanted. Then i guess clearence wouldnt be an issue
Old 03-04-2009, 03:43 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by xx_ED_xx
Judging by what i see on this page. 18 inch front minimum

http://www.westcoastcorvette.com/p-9...e-upgrade.aspx

That is some pretty serious jack. Almost 2 grand. Although, that does appear to be for all four wheels. I want to do brakes on my car at some point, and with brakes, wheels & tires, it ain't gonna come cheap.
Old 03-04-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
You just don't get it. To spread conjecture and erronous 'thoughts' is not helping anyone. You post in damn near every post and it is 98% this kind of stupidity. Grow up, get a clue.
I'm extremely sorry that I don't know everything like you do, and that I say "I think" because I can't REMEMBER for certain and don't want to say something with certainty that could easily be wrong. That is after all what you've been trolling about, posting wrong info. While we're talking about thinking, certainty and wrong info, I'm pretty sure that until someone says something in a "matter of fact" way, they're not being this horrible "incorrect" monster that you make me out to be. This is my personal opinion and preference: If I had a thread asking a question about something and only one person gave an answer, even if they were right or not, it'd be much more reassuring if someone else had also posted (first or not) stating that they were pretty sure on the same answer.

I might not be this always right automotive guru that you claim to be, but I know a damn lot in this field and a shitload in computers as well, so while you may have a leg up on me on cars (has yet to be proven) I've no doubt got you trumped when it comes to computers.

Originally Posted by DAVE00
Wow man this is a thread to help out the OP and not bash a member that was trying to help. Keep these kinda posts up and I am sure you will get banned. Unless you have something nice to say . Don't crap on someone's thread like that it's not the way things are done or should be done. Send him a PM if you are pissed.

Just my .02 and to the OP my apologies for this message, but sometimes people on this board need to leave.
It's not the first time a troll has been banned, nor the last. And he won't PM me because it makes him feel better to try and make me look bad Doing it in PM, well no one will see his little words! His buddy (RamAir) has also failed to forward me all these PMs he's gotten from multiple other users who all think I'm some big flaming idiot Which is probably just Fergymoto, myltwon and The Beast. Fergy's at least grown up (some) and I haven't seen much of ltwon recently. The Beast and RamAir are starting to sound like the same person though, so who knows. With those 3 (ltwon excluded) and Capricemgr, I fail to see why we need anyone else to post in threads, since they all know everything already.

I'm also sorry Ed for how The Beast acted and drug me into this. I'll refrain from posting in this thread from here since he's here to tell you everything you could ever need to know!
Old 03-04-2009, 08:28 PM
Staging Lane

Dave00 for president!!!!!! hes the man. from what ive seen would it be better option and still an upgrade to go to a ls1 brake setup or a firehawk we know theese should work no prob right?
Old 03-04-2009, 08:42 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

LS1's and Firehawks are def an upgrade from our weak LT-1 setups and would work fine. Where he might run into issues is the corvette setups esp. if he wants to keep those 17" rims.
Old 03-04-2009, 08:43 PM
Staging Lane

yeah just sayin if he hadnt already bought it and wanted an upgrade without problems
Old 03-04-2009, 08:44 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by redbird93
yeah just sayin if he hadnt already bought it and wanted an upgrade without problems
Yup, u got it!!!!
Old 03-04-2009, 09:32 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by Formula350
I might not be this always right automotive guru that you claim to be, but I know a damn lot in this field and a shitload in computers as well, so while you may have a leg up on me on cars (has yet to be proven) I've no doubt got you trumped when it comes to computers.
Wow, you really are an ignorant moron... Kinda laughable as I am a Senior Systems Engineer with almost 20 years PROFESSIONALLY in computers in general, specializing in real-time computer systems...

I originally had a whole resume on here, but realized it would be wasted bandwidth on the likes of you... Needless to say it is quite obvious you CONSTANTLY talk a lot about stuff you know nothing about... Thus making you a true idiot... I don't 'troll', I just have quite a bit to contribute in factual, personally obtained, information.

Last edited by 95 TA - The Beast; 03-04-2009 at 10:32 PM.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

I can't believe I actually read all of this, this thread is going nowhere useful. Lets try to get along gentleman, the technical aspect of this website suffers due to pissing contests.
Old 03-04-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Yup I have the ls1 setup just havent put it on the car yet then i acquired some 13 inch vette rotors. Then I saw the calipers on pt.net and was like hmmm. but he didnt even know what they were off of. And then i saw they put 14 inch rotor calipers on 15 inch rotors on a truck and only use half the pads. Which didnt make much sense to me. So I was hoping tos tuff 14's in these wheels. Guess I will live with the 13's til i find a buyer for my magensium wheels
Old 03-04-2009, 10:20 PM
TECH Regular

One of the reasons 'some' people use larger rotors than the pad surace area is to allow for a great heat-sink for the rotor before temps get so high to cause brake fade...

Usually only a concern on larger and heavier vehicles... Personally, for my tastes, it tends to look stupid IMHO...
Old 03-04-2009, 10:21 PM
11 Second Club

Received 261 Likes on 199 Posts

I have the LS1 Brakes and the work well for me..
Old 03-04-2009, 10:37 PM
Staging Lane

C5 Rotors are 12.75", LS1 rotors are 12". C6 Z51's are 13.5" and will work on C5 calipers but may need an 18" rim.

You guys may want to check out thirdgen.org's message boards. A lot of third generation f-body owners have done LS1/C5/C6 brake conversions (because our stock brakes really suck). You won't find info on forth-gen brackets but quite a bit of info on C5, C6, and CTS-V front and rear brakes.
Old 03-05-2009, 06:45 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 95 TA - The Beast
Wow, you really are an ignorant moron... Kinda laughable as I am a Senior Systems Engineer with almost 20 years PROFESSIONALLY in computers in general, specializing in real-time computer systems...

I originally had a whole resume on here, but realized it would be wasted bandwidth on the likes of you... Needless to say it is quite obvious you CONSTANTLY talk a lot about stuff you know nothing about... Thus making you a true idiot... I don't 'troll', I just have quite a bit to contribute in factual, personally obtained, information.
How many times do we have to tell you to leave this to PM'S!!!!!! If you don't have something constructive to say in the thread please leave this forum for good as you are not contributing anything and wasting our time with your bitchin'. I don't know either you or Formula350, but from your immature posts I can tell you are probably a teenager with nothing better to do or just a really immature adult that has ZERO tact. GROW UP!!!!!!!!!

Plus 20+ years with comps doesn't mean you know squat about cars and looking at your profile it doesn't look like you have contributed much to this forum anyway where as Formula350 has been posting here much much longer and has quite a bit more input/knowledge. Sit down, calm down and SHUT UP.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:54 AM
TECH Junkie

I know the OP already has a brake setup but for those who don't know you can ebay a LS1 brake swap for around $150. It will come with the steering knuckles, rotors, pads, calipers, all assembled. At least mine did years ago. Well worth upgrading if you have stock LT1 stuff, and can't beat the price. Just throwing this out there in case some members are sweating stuff fitting or looking at brackets. Just take the old steering knuckle out and put the better stuff in!

I go corner carving and run it hard, have had no issues with the brake setup out of a 00 T/A.
Old 03-05-2009, 08:08 AM
TECH Resident

Couple of quick brake related questions, sorry Op for the slight hijack.
How much improvement do the c5 z06 front brakes offer over the base c5 brakes? IS it noticeable? or worth the additional money?

Also same question but comparing base c5 front brakes to standard ls1 f-body front brakes (which I recently invested in, but haven't installed as of yet.) I know I could probably search this, but I figured it was somewhat relevant to this topic... Thanks
Old 03-05-2009, 09:37 AM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

It's a cat fight b*tches.

I think I want some flavor of the Corvette brakes, or maybe some of the new Camaro SS brakes if they will work. I think those are going to have 4 piston calipers.
Old 03-05-2009, 09:51 AM
TECH Regular

DAVE00, and like you are doing ANY better with your 'criticizing'...

You are just as bad, and PMs will not expose Formula350 from being the idiot he is... THAT much is obvious... So you should follow your own advice and stop posting.

And if you haven't noticed, all I am trying to do is get him to STFU for EVERYONES good...
Old 03-05-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Addict

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by phirepower
Couple of quick brake related questions, sorry Op for the slight hijack.
How much improvement do the c5 z06 front brakes offer over the base c5 brakes? IS it noticeable? or worth the additional money?

Also same question but comparing base c5 front brakes to standard ls1 f-body front brakes (which I recently invested in, but haven't installed as of yet.) I know I could probably search this, but I figured it was somewhat relevant to this topic... Thanks
There is no difference between C5 and C5 Z brakes other than color.

The C5 brakes only advantage over the LS1 brakes are the directional rotors and 1" larger rotor.
Old 03-05-2009, 01:58 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by chavez885
The C5 brakes only advantage over the LS1 brakes are the directional rotors and 1" larger rotor.
Wouldn't that translate into some improved performance?

Quick Reply: Z06 brakes on lt car