LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What lt1 clutch should I go with?

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2009, 08:25 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

no one has mentioned centerforce, i have had bad luck with specs but great results with centerforce and mcleod. i have 2 dual friction centerforces and one is goin back in my z with a 12 psi built motor, i am not a drag racer its a street car and i havent had any complaints with centerforce so far, ram either i used a ram hd on my 3rd gen formula ls1 6 spd car
Old 03-05-2009, 08:27 PM
On The Tree

I am looking to buy a new clutch soon too, so any more input on Zoom clutches?
Old 03-06-2009, 12:08 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The Zoom clutch in my buddies '66 chevelle is one of the toughest and unbreakable bastards I have ever seen, and drives good.

How about just having your stock FW machined, and running the street/strip disc. Anyone done this?
Old 03-06-2009, 11:57 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by Wesmanw02
Nice comparison. However, the Zoom is Kevlar and the Ram is organic, hence the difference between the Ram having rivets and the Zoom being one piece. But I'd side with you in saying the Zoom disc is probably the stronger of the two.

What flywheel did you use?? The one we had in the shop had a very thick aluminum one, he said it came with the Zoom clutch...
By "rivets" I meant the ones connecting the outer disc ring to the inner disc ring. I have seen failure with the inner part of the clutch disc sheared from the outer ring.

Yes Kevlar friction material of the ZOOM is bonded vs. the material of the RAM held on by rivets.

I use a stock LT1 FW, clutch kit did not include a FW...which I assume is purchased as a seperate piece weather you want AL or Steel
Old 03-06-2009, 12:12 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 95 Likes on 86 Posts

Originally Posted by 946spdz
I am looking to buy a new clutch soon too, so any more input on Zoom clutches?
My $.02 based on the mods in your sig a 'stock" auto parts store replacement will be fine.

FWIW I ran the valeo I got at Autozone when I had a heads/casm 350. I have a B-body and did the A4-M6 conversion. That clutch held fine which is why I suggest it is fine for a stock or bolt on car especially one that weighs about 1000 lbs less than my car:-)

when I did my 383 that motor would just drive right through the stock clutch. In 3rd gear at 35 MPH I could floor it and the clutch would spin. Went with a SPEC 2+ and it did hold very well but died at 2k miles. The SPEC had chatter unless you nailed the engagement...stop/go traffic was not great.

I was concerned about chatter and wanted to use something like the CF but felt a puc/organic disc would not hold (also have reservations on the slideing weight thing on a "pull" clutch design). I had the Valeo, SPEC, RAM & ZOOM side by side for comparison in terms of how each disc was built. My vote went to the ZOOM in that comparison.

In speaking with the Tech at ZOOM (good ol country guy) he said that their kevlar disc would out live any stock disc material and that they use a solid disc center piece vs. other multi part designs of others. He said it does not tend to "warp" like others do. IIRC they are a NC based company and also make NASCAR clutches.

The ZOOM has EXCELLANT street maners with no chatter (after break in)
Old 03-06-2009, 03:19 PM
Launching!

I've used centerforce clutches twice, and had great luck with them both times
Old 03-08-2009, 06:18 PM
Staging Lane

I'd go spec, I have the stage 3 and love it. No complaints here.
Old 03-08-2009, 11:39 PM
TECH Apprentice

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bigj2717
I just put a Ram ppwergrip hd in my car and i love it. I havent broken it in yet but so far not chatter and feels great slightly stiffer then stock but nothing too bad
Did you use the stock flywheel or a ram billet flywheel with your hd setup?
Old 03-09-2009, 11:05 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Hmmm... These ZOOM clutches are looking to be a good possibility, especially since I work at a NAPA store and I can get them discounted!
Old 11-10-2010, 05:56 PM
TECH Regular

Default choices choices

Originally Posted by ******
My $.02 based on the mods in your sig a 'stock" auto parts store replacement will be fine.

when I did my 383 that motor would just drive right through the stock clutch. In 3rd gear at 35 MPH I could floor it and the clutch would spin. Went with a SPEC 2+ and it did hold very well but died at 2k miles. The SPEC had chatter unless you nailed the engagement...stop/go traffic was not great.

. My vote went to the ZOOM in that comparison.

In speaking with the Tech at ZOOM (good ol country guy) he said that their kevlar disc would out live any stock disc material and that they use a solid disc center piece vs. other multi part designs of others. He said it does not tend to "warp" like others do. IIRC they are a NC based company and also make NASCAR clutches.

The ZOOM has EXCELLANT street maners with no chatter (after break in)

Can you tell me almost exactly which clutch i need for my nitrous lt1 m6 camaro? i'm having a difficult time deciding between clutches, and everyone has there own opinion. the zoom sounds good to me
Old 11-17-2010, 11:20 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You could try a OEM clutch kit and replace the stock clutch disk with a McLeod single street/strip clutch disk.
this is what I'm doin. Almost all the pressure plates are the same regardless of the kit. Some do some heat treating to help give the stock LT4 pp (the old LT1 design is rarely seen in any clutch kit now) a bit more clamping force, but its typically not worth the price. For a stock/bolt on this setup is gonna be your best bang for the buck
Old 11-19-2010, 09:57 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by carguyshu
this is what I'm doin. Almost all the pressure plates are the same regardless of the kit. Some do some heat treating to help give the stock LT4 pp (the old LT1 design is rarely seen in any clutch kit now) a bit more clamping force, but its typically not worth the price. For a stock/bolt on this setup is gonna be your best bang for the buck
I know that LT1 clutch kits are different from LS1 and older SBC/BBC stuff due to push vs. pull engagement, but does that effect the whole kit (pp, disc, & throwout) or is the disc interchangeable with normal clutch sets for non-LT1's?
Old 11-20-2010, 10:49 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You need 26 spline for the T-56. Just get a competition clutch. Can't be beat for the money
Old 11-21-2010, 12:46 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by gregrob
You need 26 spline for the T-56. Just get a competition clutch. Can't be beat for the money
okay...just wanting to make absolute sure I have this straight.... what I'm asking is can I just get a competition clutch disc for say a 26 spline Super T10 four speed or a GM Borg Warner T5 camaro and it will work with the rest of a stock clutch kit for the LT1? I know the diameter will have to match up too...as in I can't run a 11" disc.
Old 11-21-2010, 03:00 AM
TECH Resident

Originally Posted by chavez885
375$ for 425 hp (rated) http://www.texas-speed.com/shop/item...d=366&catid=59

480$ for 600 hp (rated) http://www.byunspeed.com/product_inf...oducts_id=4890

Also, don't forget to change your rear main seal and bearings.
Might aswell change the input shaft seal too.. I went threw 2 clutches that way main seal started leaking ruined the disk replace dish amonth later input shaft seal started leaking and took out anoth disk.
Old 11-21-2010, 09:07 PM
TECH Resident

Received 506 Likes on 203 Posts

i like the zoom, but can sometimes suck to drive in stop n go, and slowly backing out of spots, but you get the hang of it. Its a cant miss.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:17 PM
TECH Fanatic

Can anyone give me the part number for just a replacement disc from one of the better companies (Zoom seems to be a favorite) that I can use with my existing pressure plate & TO bearing? They are stock replacement style Duralast parts, and look fine. I broke a spring out of my disc....oddly I never had any noticeable slippage with it before it failed. The whole kit has a lifetime warranty, but I'd like to upgrade while I'm in there.
Old 12-11-2010, 01:03 AM
Teching In

Anyone have opinions on a spec stage 1? They're only $377 and I'm on a budget.
Old 02-28-2011, 10:12 PM

hate to bring up a old tread, but after useing the search button this seems to be the place to post my question

I have 4k miles on my clutch it was a stock replacement and it is slipping a little bit, should I just replace the disk with a better one or go for a full kit?

and ....please don't flame me.. but what about those ebay clutches? Liek the F1 stage 3 with 22Lbs flywheel for under $500 reading over the details it seems fine, and I have searched a few sites(non camaro sites) and most seem to have good things to say about it. has anyone tried it with a long term review?

Thank
Old 02-28-2011, 10:14 PM
Staging Lane

it sounds like you didnt break it in good. Check the pressure plate and see if it is heat checked real bad. if it is, replace it. if not, you can probably get away with it. just go with the mcleod clutch disc and you should be set if that is the case. don't screw around with anything else unless you are running a bunch of power

Quick Reply: What lt1 clutch should I go with?