LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question about traction

Old 03-05-2009, 06:06 PM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Question about traction

so when i first got my car it had sumitimos (275's) on the rears that were sitting with the car for 5 years... they werent sticky at all, i never had traction in 1st and they wouldnt squeak when they spun (i imagine cuz the rubber was old.)

but now 6 months later, i have traction in first gear...

its either because A) i have power loss or B) the tires are stickier? is that possible?

doesnt seem like i have power loss though... i just pulled an E46 M3 the other day...
Old 03-05-2009, 07:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Only way to know for sure is to track your car periodically and see if your times are consistent with average times for someone with your car and mods.
Old 03-05-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sumi's SUCK for traction. Possible now that you have burned off material from the tires they don't flex as much. Certianly during the break-in period where you burn off any releaseing materials that are still there from the manufacturing process you will have unimpressive traction from any tire of any manf. Those fade in a week or so of use i think. 6 months, ground temp? warmer ground = better traction since tires don't get as cold.

I totally burned off a set of Sumi HTRz's in less than 10K miles.
burnouts in first were fun but costly. the Bridgestone KDWS i had after them would never let go of the pavement from a stop.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Question about traction