LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

problem found

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2009, 02:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

pan is coming off already, because it is full of teeth from the crank timing sprocket. and also its nearly impossible to get the timing cover back on there with the oil pan gasket in the way
Old 03-10-2009, 02:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by explicit.muscle
pan is coming off already, because it is full of teeth from the crank timing sprocket. and also its nearly impossible to get the timing cover back on there with the oil pan gasket in the way
Just like you can't eyeball the valves, you can't eyeball the rods...
Old 03-10-2009, 02:47 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

Originally Posted by explicit.muscle
That is because the timing cover is made to go on before the pan. The pan seals to the cover.
Old 03-10-2009, 05:22 PM
TECH Regular

As has been said, the entire motor needs a teardown after a catastrophic failure like that. It is catastrophic because of the fact it happened while at speed...

In all actuality something else bound up causing the cam gear to take sheer action. I have seen that happen when someone misses a shift and mechanically over-revs the motor. One guy did it twice, first time it sheered the bolts off the cam (yes the heads where trashed after that), and the second time it broke the chain and spit it out the side of the timing cover (what sucked about that one is because it was RIGHT after a complete rebuild with less than 3k miles on it)...

Any way you look at it, the only way you will be 100% sure is to tear the entire motor down. There could be bearing damage, rod damage, heads, valvetrain, etc...

Here is a pic of some bent rods from a motor that was still running (this was because of too much power on stock rods, to the tune of around 650rwhp, but the motor still ran with only a 1/2 engine tempo knock, which was one piston skirt hitting a counterweight only on the power stroke, and yes that one rod is bent on three axis):

So, just because everything 'looks' ok, or sounds 'ok', you won't know until you tear it all down...
Old 03-12-2009, 08:13 AM
On The Tree

well i pulled out the whole rotating assembly, had it inspected, and everything survived. I sent the heads back b/c the guy said might as well replace the valves to be on the safe side, and since the heads were off already. pulled the cam out too, just to check it out, and it looks ok still.
Old 03-12-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by 96LT1355Z28
Yea, I could see that creating an issue!
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...T&autoview=sku

I can't help ya on the cover, For Sale section maybe?

I guess the rest of the valvetrain/engine survived?
Just for clarification, that is NOT the Cloyes double roller people use for our cars. The one you linked is for non-roller cams, not to mention big blocks.

He would want 9-3145 for engines with a factory roller cam.

Quick Reply: problem found