LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what could cause 16 bent pushrods on start up after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-19-2003, 03:28 AM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Re: what could cause 16 bent pushrods on start up after cam swap

its not a rocker arm adjustment that did this in my opinion. If the dot wasnt on the cam shaft correctly, the other guys car would have bent all its pushrods as well so that negates that theory in my opinion. I would bet money that he simply installed the cam and it wasnt lined up perfectly(dot to dot) and the timing for the opening and closing of the valves was way late or way early and his valves hit the pistons. The stock pushrods were the weakest link in the chain and therefore they gave way(bent). If he got the rocker arms to far down on the stud(thus causing piston to valve clearance issues as suggested above) and turned it over, the poly locks would have ripped the top of the rocker arm studs because the rocker arm's trunion would be sitting way to high on the rocker arm stud and there would be too much leverage put on too few threads(had this happen on my car without a PtoV issue, the rocker arm was just sitting to high on the stud). Just be glad the pushrods gave way before much worse damage could occur(if your lucky).
Old 10-19-2003, 04:48 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

its not a rocker arm adjustment that did this in my opinion. If the dot wasnt on the cam shaft correctly, the other guys car would have bent all its pushrods as well so that negates that theory in my opinion.
The dot is on the cam gear not the cam.
I would bet money that he simply installed the cam and it wasnt lined up perfectly(dot to dot) and the timing for the opening and closing of the valves was way late or way early and his valves hit the pistons.
Assuming this is correct, you always degree a cam and that wouldn't happen.
The stock pushrods were the weakest link in the chain and therefore they gave way(bent). If he got the rocker arms to far down on the stud(thus causing piston to valve clearance issues as suggested above) and turned it over, the poly locks would have ripped the top of the rocker arm studs because the rocker arm's trunion would be sitting way to high on the rocker arm stud and there would be too much leverage put on too few threads(had this happen on my car without a PtoV issue, the rocker arm was just sitting to high on the stud). Just be glad the pushrods gave way before much worse damage could occur(if your lucky).
Take a look at the pics man (ALL 16 were bent). They speak for themselves. and that is after 20 SEC.
In any case whoever did this should go back to school and "refresh their memories". The SBC will not tolerate shortcuts.
DO it right, or don't do it at all.
Old 10-19-2003, 05:27 AM
On The Tree

It wouldnt have even cranked if the cam and crank gears were miss-aligned that bad. Im going to have to side with the comp-r's were collapsed and pumped up bending the pushrods. Also Im pretty sure the LT1 is a non-interference motor, when I did my engine I brought each piston to TDC and let the valves rest on the top of the pistons to do the spring swap and there is no way that the spring could compress enough to contact the piston. The only way I have heard of vavle to piston contact on LT1's is the rocker arms not being aligned correctly and causing the retainers to come out dropping the valve.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:33 AM
TECH Fanatic

It wouldnt have even cranked if the cam and crank gears were miss-aligned that bad.
I agree
Im going to have to side with the comp-r's were collapsed and pumped up bending the pushrods.
I also agree .
Also Im pretty sure the LT1 is a non-interference motor, when I did my engine I brought each piston to TDC and let the valves rest on the top of the pistons to do the spring swap and there is no way that the spring could compress enough to contact the piston. The only way I have heard of vavle to piston contact on LT1's is the rocker arms not being aligned correctly and causing the retainers to come out dropping the valve.
True again

The thread degenerated in a "I know what I'm doing thread" and "I did it properly and that's what happenned.

My guess is as you said, lifters were not pumped and rockers were tighten with them collapsed. When they did pump on startup prods had no where to go.

However if a dial was used to measure valve travel, it would have been obvious. That could have been done while degreeing the cam. Which was not done. So bottom line too many short cuts and no clearance checks.
It is true one learns from their mistakes, but also one learns from research and from following proper buildup procedures.
Old 10-19-2003, 09:44 AM
TECH Junkie

hundreds of people install cams without degreeing them and have no problems. myself included. i didnt do this cam install. my buddy called me up and asked me to help him figure out what happened. i didnt participate at all in this install, however i do know my friend has done multiple lt1 cam swaps and has had no issues, so if he says he put it together correctly im going to believe him, i can only go off what he told me.

i do appreciate the helpful tips, but im also a little pissed that someone who has never met me calls me ignorant and questions my knowledge based on one or two post they have read. you act the motor is your damn child thats been molested or something, you need to grow up.

back to being helpful. if the lt1 is a none interference motor, do you think the lifters pumped up and caused the valves to hit the pistons, or do you think the lifters pumped up and cause coilbind which bent the pushrods?
Old 10-19-2003, 11:36 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

I guess coil bind is a possibility. What springs did he use? One would think that someone that has installed multiple LT1 cams would know what valve springs to use with such a popular LT1 cam as the 305. At anyrate, if they didn't coil bind when he turned the motor by hand, I think it is still an issue of rocker adjustment. How about answering the question, 'How did he adjust the rocker arms?'
Old 10-19-2003, 12:50 PM
TECH Junkie

he used the isky's from thunder racing rated to .550 lift. lots of people use those springs with that cam

as for how he adjusted the rockers

he set them to 1/8 of a turn past zero lash. but he didnt do it with the car running. however he did do it after soaking the lifters
Old 10-19-2003, 06:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Are you a pushrod? No, so why are you so offended by this.
That was fuggin' hilarious.
Old 10-19-2003, 08:38 PM
TECH Junkie

for those curious we pulled the heads off today

no p-v contact at all

it was also timed perfectly
Old 10-19-2003, 09:19 PM
On The Tree

Good deal, tell him to scrap the iskys and get some Crane 10308-1's their good for .600 lift @ 7000rpm and work with the stock seats. I'd also tell him to invest in some Comp Chromemoly pushrods.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:18 AM
TECH Resident

I just dont see how a lifter that pumps up after its runs for a few seconds can cause a bent pushrod. After it pumps up it will just cause the valve to open a little more(not near enough to make contact with a piston on stock heads and stock gaskets) and is easily re-adjusted to where it needs to be. A hydraulic lifter will not pump up so much that it would cause a valve to tap the top of the piston or create so much pressure on a pushrod to bend it, sorry, I dont buy it, there is no feasable way in my opinion for a lifter to cause this on his otherwise stock motor. As for letting lifters soak for a day. I let mine soak for 2 days, installed them, new springs, rocker arms, etc., and when i started the car up, I still had to reset the valve lash on a few of the rockers because the lifters still had to pump up. I dont even bother soaking them longer than a few hours now, just install them and set the lash while the motor is running, best way and more accurate than trying to set the lash while the motor is turned off.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:19 AM
TECH Resident

just read the rest of the replies, sorry, lol. get some better springs and go.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:31 AM
TECH Resident

Retard, you need to be b!tch slapped, smart ***.
just STFU
Old 10-20-2003, 06:37 AM
Staging Lane

Has anyone bothered to ask how high the spring pressure is of the valve springs? I seen that happen with used pushrods and high spring pressure. The cam being out of phase would not destroy the pushrods like that!! How sure are you it is a cc305? It was a used cam right? Did you guys run the numbers on it to make sure? Riddle me that. Whats the spring pressure and were those used pushrods and how did he adjust the valves??
Old 10-20-2003, 10:11 AM
TECH Fanatic

just STFU
Do you volunteer to try??/
Old 10-20-2003, 12:26 PM
TECH Resident

just STFU
Do you volunteer to try??/
sure.
and i reg before you how you callin me a newb, dumb ***.
Old 10-20-2003, 01:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

4thgen, me and you are both newbies compared to him. No matter how many posts we have, he's correct, he's registered before us.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:31 PM
TECH Resident

just STFU
Retard? I guess I know nothing about LT1's . I need to be bitch slapped for providing info that was correct? bring it on Keyboard Warrior. Stay in the corner, read, and learn if you have nothing knoweldgeable to say.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:40 PM
TECH Resident

just STFU
Retard? I guess I know nothing about LT1's I need to be bitch slapped for providing info that was correct, bring it? Newbie's need to stay in the corner if they have nothing knoweldgeable to say. Read and learn!
did you not see "Retard" ? no mention of "Gangly" in my post.
Old 10-20-2003, 02:44 PM
TECH Resident

I apologize, I thought you were referring to me as a retard I was unaware of the screename you were referring to until you mentioned it just now, im sorry, my fault....disregard the PM

Quick Reply: what could cause 16 bent pushrods on start up after cam swap