LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

what could cause 16 bent pushrods on start up after cam swap

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2003, 03:33 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: what could cause 16 bent pushrods on start up after cam swap

Well, for 22 posts I hope the other ones were more "classy".
However I agree with Gangly.
Why don't you post something "smart" about the issue at hand.
Old 10-21-2003, 01:40 AM
TECH Resident

im not on this board for post count, didnt know it was so important to you. someone whos already called the poor guy ignorant saying he doesnt know anything, he shouldnt be doing this, he did it wrong, he took all these shortcuts, and he's lazy.....boy you sure are a classy guy, and after they checked again and it was timed right and all, that makes you look ignorant. i happen to know the poor fella, ill just call him or something, if he needs some help. i say "poor" meaning he did everything right, triple checked things, and still had this happen.
Old 10-21-2003, 04:41 AM
TECH Fanatic

i happen to know the poor fella
Oh, that explains it. (Birds of the same feathers fly together)
In any case I didn't flame out of maliciousness, and I apologised for doing so as I posted.(read again and you shall see)
Let's us drop this tit for tat, and keep us posted if you find out what really happened.
Peace
Old 10-21-2003, 06:31 AM
Staging Lane

were those used pushrods? Tell him to buy new hardened ones and make sure they are the correct height.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:55 AM
TECH Fanatic

First of all there is no way in hell you are going to do that to those push rods bye not soaking them long enogh. I did not soak mine for more than maybe 10 minutes. Second If he set them wrong he would of had to do like 4 turns or more to make them hit. To me it looks like he used old stock pushrods. They could not hadle the stress. Or he put the lifters in upside down. Either way it was a mistake and atleast no major damage was done.
I have one question, who is the Smart *** Dick head that's running his mouth like he works for nascar or somthing. Wrong, assumtion. Dude your a dick. I know lots of guys like you who talk a big game. But when it comes down to it they have a broken 1986 camaro in there lawn that they cant get to run.
Old 10-21-2003, 07:09 AM
Staging Lane

First of all there is no way in hell you are going to do that to those push rods bye not soaking them long enogh. I did not soak mine for more than maybe 10 minutes. Second If he set them wrong he would of had to do like 4 turns or more to make them hit. To me it looks like he used old stock pushrods. They could not hadle the stress. Or he put the lifters in upside down. Either way it was a mistake and atleast no major damage was done.
I have one question, who is the Smart *** Dick head that's running his mouth like he works for nascar or somthing. Wrong, assumtion. Dude your a dick. I know lots of guys like you who talk a big game. But when it comes down to it they have a broken 1986 camaro in there lawn that they cant get to run.
That's what I was saying originally, those looked like off the shelf used non hardened pushrods, I would almost bet anything that they were already slightly warped when he put them in. He overlooked rolling them all on a flat surface before installing them, plus they all looked burnt
Old 10-21-2003, 06:43 PM
TECH Resident

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

stock pushrods can easily handle that cam and a lot more. Stock pushrods never should have bent like that from just a cam swap
Old 10-21-2003, 10:40 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

stock pushrods can easily handle that cam and a lot more. Stock pushrods never should have bent like that from just a cam swap
I agree 100%. Something in the valvetrain stopped while the cam lobes continued to push the lifters up.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:25 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Ok, Im the guy who killed those pushrods and I asked Tally Trans Am to see if he could find out what it was so he posted this here. Thanks man. As for the cam install, I did not degree the cam but Ive done research and nobody that I have seen degreed a CC305. Both the springs and the cam were purchased from a friend with low miles(not exactly sure how many but not many) and was sold to him in a package deal. He ran his car for a good while making very good power on those springs. Why wouldnt they work the same on my car? As for the install itself, it was straight out of the book. All timing was on perfect, dot to dot. The lifters soaked for about an hour which should have been plenty, I dont buy that they were my problem. The only aspect of the install that Im not totally confident about looking back at everything is the adjusting the rockers/lashing the valves. That could have very well been my problem but I set it to zero lash(rocker snug on pushrod) and then another 1/8 to 1/4 turn, again, by the book. The pushrods were stock pushrods with 125k miles but 93's came with hardened pushrods so I thought I was ok with them, I was wrong. Im still trying to figure out what happened while Im waiting on my new parts. Thanks for all of the replies and all of the help. I know I didnt do everything possible but most people dont. I guess I learned my lesson and will be going all out next time. Thanks again.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:58 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sucks about the whole things. Get some chromemoly rods and get back to work! good luck with everything!
Old 10-22-2003, 08:29 AM
Staging Lane

hardened pushrods were not introduced in the Z28's until mid 1994 you have stock regular off the shelf pushrods, go with comps chromemoly ones and be done with it
Old 10-22-2003, 10:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

The fact that you used stock push rods was not your problem, regardless of what you are being told. One other thing I would check would be the installed height on your valve springs.Answer the following.
1. Is 1.6 the stock RR on LT1's?
2. What is the valve lift on a CC 305?
Old 10-22-2003, 10:16 AM
Staging Lane

true, I never meant you couldn't get away with using stock pushrods, I only meant you couldn't get away with using USED high mileage non hardened pushrods.
Old 10-22-2003, 10:22 AM
TECH Senior Member

true, I never meant you couldn't get away with using stock pushrods, I only meant you couldn't get away with using USED high mileage non hardened pushrods.
Why? The only thing that is going to wear on a high mileage pushrod is the one end that contacts the rocker arm? What else is high mileage going to do to a pushrod that is going to cause it to bend?
Old 10-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

5 letters, STRESS!! pushrods get stressed every day having to be the go between. now take a pushrod that is designed for moderate lift and small spring pressure and then put a higher lift cam in and then give it more spring pressure and something is going to break and it usually always starts in the middle where there is less material
Old 10-22-2003, 10:59 AM
Staging Lane

surely that cannot be the first time you seen stock non hardened pushrods turn into crap like that have you? Especially if you stress them with more lift and higher spring load? AND setting the lash too tight at first crank of the motor?? I have seen it too many times it's ugly.. It happened within 20 seconds if that according to the poster. you have to suspect the rods were faulty from constant heat cycling and then add the stress put on them by stiff springs
Old 10-22-2003, 11:35 AM
TECH Senior Member

[/b]5 letters, STRESS!![/b]
STRESS
^^^^^^

I respectfully disagree that pushrods bend like that simply because of age. Something has to bind in the valvetrain first.
Old 10-22-2003, 11:50 AM
Staging Lane

in an attempt to not sound like a smart ***, you put in a new cam, you put in new lifters, you put in new springs, you leave in old pushrods, you set the lash too tight for the first startup you get broken pushrods!!! after the lifters pumped up and filled in more of the gap the pressure of those springs inevitably failed the pushrods, it was running and fired up immediately when he turned it over and after a few seconds he noticed it running funny, that explains what happened.
Old 10-22-2003, 12:21 PM
TECH Senior Member

So you are saying this would not have happened if he had only changed the push rods with hardened ones? Just want to be sure because you also state:

"you set the lash too tight for the first startup you get broken pushrods!!!"
Old 10-22-2003, 12:32 PM
Staging Lane

So you are saying this would not have happened if he had only changed the push rods with hardened ones? Just want to be sure because you also state:

"you set the lash too tight for the first startup you get broken pushrods!!!"
Maybe, maybe not, at least with new pushrods when he started it and it was too tight it would have immediately died instead of kept running and he would have known it was too tight if he was that intelligent (not to say he isn't)
I had mine too tight and the sucker would turn over but die in less then a second in a half so I went back and loosened them all and she then fired right up and stayed running, it was a little rough until I got them lashed correctly,

Quick Reply: what could cause 16 bent pushrods on start up after cam swap