LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Cutting out

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2009, 04:36 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Cutting out

Okay here is the scenario, my 93 is acting up lately. Wright at about 3k rpms it'll miss out sometimes. The distributer is a jegs unit replaced a last year, just put a new coil pack from streetfire on it. I'm guessing its the ignition control module. It only does it once in awhile, I'd just replace the module but hell they want 75 for it autozone an 100 at oriellys. Any input appreciated, i also can't seem to retrieve any codes on it except it has a bad egr valve
Old 03-13-2009, 04:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Kmaroman
Okay here is the scenario, my 93 is acting up lately. Wright at about 3k rpms it'll miss out sometimes. The distributer is a jegs unit replaced a last year, just put a new coil pack from streetfire on it. I'm guessing its the ignition control module. It only does it once in awhile, I'd just replace the module but hell they want 75 for it autozone an 100 at oriellys. Any input appreciated, i also can't seem to retrieve any codes on it except it has a bad egr valve
I'd suspect a plug, wire, coil, or your opti. I had the JEGS opti once, it was a piece of ****, failed after two weeks. Rotor detached.
Old 03-13-2009, 04:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

The coil is a brand new msd, the wires have been on it since i bought the car bought seem good there accel racing 8mm. Plugs have also been changed last summer, It only does it when you get on it a little bit, it will just completly cut out for a second then be fine. It hasn't died or anything an it starts an idles fine

Last edited by Kmaroman; 03-13-2009 at 05:36 PM.
Old 03-13-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Enthusiast

bump it only seems to do it after its running for awhile
Old 03-13-2009, 08:00 PM
TECH Senior Member

Your best bet is to try to get it hooked up to a scanner and view/data log real time data as the symptoms occur.
Old 03-24-2009, 01:01 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well i did the icm cooling mod an it ran fine for about a week, now it does it worse. Yesterday i picked my gf up an was taking her hom the car completly died, luckily i just put it into 2nd let out of the clutch an she started back up. Everything on the car is brand new except the icm an the wires from the manifold passenger side down to the opti spark. Could either one of those be it. Cause I'm about to just go buy a new icm
Old 03-24-2009, 03:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well i did the icm cooling mod an it ran fine for about a week, now it does it worse. Yesterday i picked my gf up an was taking her hom the car completly died, luckily i just put it into 2nd let out of the clutch an she started back up. Everything on the car is brand new except the icm an the wires from the manifold passenger side down to the opti spark. Could either one of those be it. Cause I'm about to just go buy a new icm
Those wires are vent tubes for the cap. You can inspect them for tears and see if they are getting any fluids or dirt inside the opti. If not, they aren't your problem.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:07 PM
TECH Apprentice

i had similiar problems, it ended up being o2 sensors.
Old 03-24-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well it starts an idles fine, it won't throw any codes but the egr valve which its been doing since i got the thing. I'm just complety stumped cause the pulgs an wires are brand new so's the coil the o2s have been changed a few months back, the opti is only like 6-8 months old. I'm stumped 100% stumped here
Old 03-24-2009, 03:40 PM
TECH Addict

you said it ran fine after doing the cooling mod, go back and see if you have any bad wires that go to the coil or the ground wires. i was putting in a new coil last week and noticed i had some wires exposed on the plugs and the ground wires
Old 03-24-2009, 04:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Well it starts an idles fine, it won't throw any codes but the egr valve which its been doing since i got the thing. I'm just complety stumped cause the pulgs an wires are brand new so's the coil the o2s have been changed a few months back, the opti is only like 6-8 months old. I'm stumped 100% stumped here
O2's can be good or bad straight from the factory... it's exactly what my car was doing.. i would check your O2's to be on the safe side instead of buying more crap you don't really need.
Old 03-25-2009, 01:05 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I'm going to check the grounds first then go from there

Quick Reply: Cutting out