LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Lt1 guru needed

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2009, 11:11 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I didn't say it was the most accurate way, but it will tell you if it's alternating at all. Maybe it can tell you much, but I think it could tell you if you had a dead sensor.
I'm not taking sides, but I think he was pointing out that more often then not it's not going to be totally dead, it'll put out incorrect signals. So using a multimeter won't do the job since it'll show it's "alive" but that doesn't mean it's working right :\
Old 03-17-2009, 01:24 PM
Banned

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I didn't say it was the most accurate way, but it will tell you if it's alternating at all. Maybe it can tell you much, but I think it could tell you if you had a dead sensor.
The point is, using that test, YOU ARE NOT CHECKING THE OPTI. Plain and simple. All you're checking is the input, ground, and PCM signal/trigger to the ICM.

Also, it's not alternating. Alternating would mean +/- zero, or what would be referred to as a sine wave. There are no sine waves happenin here. It's all digital square wave.

As I stated before, the only way to even POSSIBLY check an opti with a DVOM is to use the frequency scale, and then all it's going to tell you is the amount of times it's switching. It won't tell you how accurate it is, how clean the signal is, nothing. And the high res is happening so fast, you NEED a scope to see it.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:18 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

UPDATE: Shop said car starting and idling fine. NO codes, and no surging... Said only thing they found at all was the opti harness with long connector wasnt clipped in fully. Didnt explain how it magically started for tow driver being he didnt touch it to me, OR rev surging. Mechanic seemed to think it being loose could have explained surge(but he didnt even know my distributer was called optispark lol). So drove it home sure as hell flawless idle etc. So LT1 gremlins FTMFL
Old 03-18-2009, 04:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by KUTTER
UPDATE: Shop said car starting and idling fine. NO codes, and no surging... Said only thing they found at all was the opti harness with long connector wasnt clipped in fully. Didnt explain how it magically started for tow driver being he didnt touch it to me, OR rev surging. Mechanic seemed to think it being loose could have explained surge(but he didnt even know my distributer was called optispark lol). So drove it home sure as hell flawless idle etc. So LT1 gremlins FTMFL
Nice...now hopefully it stays that way.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:01 PM
Teching In

OK, so sunday installed new opti.Took my time with it... Take for drive got about 2 miles had the whole hesitation/sputter under 2/2.5k.. Engine light pops on, then goes off, as give it more gas.Drive back home, look everything over and my engine light no longer on but low coolant on so check coolant, and bleed line was quite bit of air in there.So start it up coolant light on, drive some all is well...drive again about 80 90 miles worthe no problems.Driving to work today,go get gas, drive highway to work about 20 miles, get downtown all of a as going through light sputters under 2.5k.Check engine light comes on and stays on..Get into parking garage which was like half mile from that point park and turn off.Again low coolant light on but fluid levels fine and check engine light still on..Im going to read codes ASAP just would rather go buy part and fix it before drive home..Im pretty set on it being one of the following and just wanted some input..Either the TPS,MAP, or coolant temp sensor...After I started in garage to see if check engine stayed on this time and got out seemed like it smelled hell of rich so thinking might be MAP. TPS just seems logical but why would it be fine for almost 100 miles then act up etc. Coolant sensor just because damn coolant light seems to pop on when trouble occurs and I had just put csr ewp on.. Thoughts?
Old 03-31-2009, 03:26 PM
On The Tree

I don't have an explanation for you. But I will say...When it rains it pours!!! I would have thrown in the towel along time ago. Props for not doing that.
Old 03-31-2009, 04:59 PM
TECH Senior Member

Get it scanned, it's anyone's guess til you do.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:17 PM
Teching In

I pray to god it throws a code...I paid for tow and diagnostics last time...Car started when they got there AND no codes..Drove it home with $104 less lol
Old 03-31-2009, 05:23 PM
Village Troll

Received 543 Likes on 392 Posts
LS1Tech 20 Year Member

My guess now is a faulty O2 sensor(s) since it seems as though it doesn't start acting up until the PCM goes into closed loop, but as stated a scan may confirm. If your SES light is on then you should have codes stored.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:29 PM
TECH Junkie

My initial reaction was the Throttle Position Sensor.
Old 03-31-2009, 05:31 PM
TECH Enthusiast

When the TPS went bad in my my Z28 it would idle all the way up to 1500 RPM and the car ran like crap while driving you could tell the power was off. I scanned my own car with a laptop and ALDL Cable and found out it was the TPS sensor, but i changed the IAC Valve also.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:14 PM
Teching In

Well I have ADD when it comes to car issues.So good ol ' Herron called me we did some trouble shooting etc.. So on my break at work went out parking garage took off air intake,maf, inlet etc...Looked over everything AHAAAAA! Crack in cap of coolant temp sensor going into wp. So went to autozone got a new one ($12) came back put it on,started right up.Check engine light off..So pretty Fn happy camper..Thanks for input again though all
Old 03-31-2009, 07:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by KUTTER
Well I have ADD when it comes to car issues.So good ol ' Herron called me we did some trouble shooting etc.. So on my break at work went out parking garage took off air intake,maf, inlet etc...Looked over everything AHAAAAA! Crack in cap of coolant temp sensor going into wp. So went to autozone got a new one ($12) came back put it on,started right up.Check engine light off..So pretty Fn happy camper..Thanks for input again though all
Glad to heat that man.
Old 03-31-2009, 07:33 PM
TECH Enthusiast

I get some props to. i was the designated driver to the auto parts store. happy to help a fellow marrow owner and happy to hear the marrow is fealing better

Quick Reply: Lt1 guru needed