TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Are These Valve Covers New?

http://www.jegs.com/p/Proform/752404/10002/-1

Look good, never seen them before.
Old 03-19-2009, 08:17 AM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

They've been out for a long time. I had a set on my old truck like 5 years ago.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:16 AM
TECH Regular

those won't work on ur Fbody Lt1
Old 03-19-2009, 09:22 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Yup those have been out for over 10 years, but as stated they won't work with out mods as the pass side does not have the dimple or relief for the alternator as your stockers.
Old 03-19-2009, 09:27 AM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

you have to grind the "ear" off the alternator
Old 03-19-2009, 09:36 AM
TECH Resident

Saw these over on z28.com

Old 03-19-2009, 09:58 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oldies but goodies
Old 03-19-2009, 05:08 PM
TECH Regular

That's pretty beat to install them like that with the Open PVC and hacking the Alt up, there are numerous LT1 specific ones avail, not sure why you'd want that old school look of chrome/stripes when the rest of the stuff isn't like that, the pic above there's a ton of detail in the powdercoated WP, alt front brackets etc.. why you'd then cheap out with those VC is beyond me.... get the Ebay polished alum ones if ur going the bling bling route..... 2 each their own I guess.??
Old 03-19-2009, 06:35 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by multmigs
and hacking the Alt up
Well you can't run the Composite covers that came on a lot of Vettes w/o doing that. And you're not "hacking it up", at least not how you make it sound. You're just grinding part of it down, similar to the calipers to fit inside the 15" WELD rims (pro stars I think), where it's just the fins on top. So I'd rather do that on a nice set that doesn't specifically fit F-Body cars, than mod or beat the cover in I sure as hell wouldn't mod the Composites, and you can't beat them to fit lol Well, not with out breaking them at least.
Old 03-19-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Formula350
Well you can't run the Composite covers that came on a lot of Vettes w/o doing that. And you're not "hacking it up", at least not how you make it sound. You're just grinding part of it down, similar to the calipers to fit inside the 15" WELD rims (pro stars I think), where it's just the fins on top. So I'd rather do that on a nice set that doesn't specifically fit F-Body cars, than mod or beat the cover in I sure as hell wouldn't mod the Composites, and you can't beat them to fit lol Well, not with out breaking them at least.
My LT1 composite covers fit without any grinding, where did you find some that didn't fit?
Old 03-19-2009, 09:03 PM
On The Tree

my friends dad has them on or something close to that his 68 camaro they been out for a while
Old 03-19-2009, 09:14 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

Well you can't run the Composite covers that came on a lot of Vettes w/o doing that.
Like what "a lot of Vettes..."? Specifically what year Vettes do you type of?
Old 03-19-2009, 11:58 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Low N Slow
My LT1 composite covers fit without any grinding, where did you find some that didn't fit?
Someone else here, who I don't remember anymore due to it being a thread from over a year ago, sorry.

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Like what "a lot of Vettes..."? Specifically what year Vettes do you type of?
Specifically? Don't know a span of years. 96 LT4s and (supposedly) M6s came with them, My friend's 94 has them and AC's Vette had them, not sure what year his was w/o digging. So that's 2 for sure, possibly 3. Not just 96s like I originally thought. And to squelch what you may be thinking about my friend's 94, he bought it from the original owner who kept it completely stock except for the Skip Shift Eliminator.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:33 PM
Village Troll

Specifically? Don't know a span of years. 96 LT4s and (supposedly) M6s came with them, My friend's 94 has them and AC's Vette had them, not sure what year his was w/o digging. So that's 2 for sure, possibly 3. Not just 96s like I originally thought. And to squelch what you may be thinking about my friend's 94, he bought it from the original owner who kept it completely stock except for the Skip Shift Eliminator.
Honestly I'm not quite sure what you are trying to squelch. What I read is you stating you have to grind on the alternator in order to use composite valve covers "that came on a lot of Vettes..."
Do you hold this to be true or not?
Old 03-21-2009, 01:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Honestly I'm not quite sure what you are trying to squelch. What I read is you stating you have to grind on the alternator in order to use composite valve covers "that came on a lot of Vettes..."
Do you hold this to be true or not?
According to a couple resident know-it-alls (none of which are in my sig), F-Body and Vette accessory backets are different. So to use Composite VCs that came on the Vettes (or pretty much any standard hight centerbolt VC) you either have to modify the covers, grind down the Alt ear or change it's clock position. Now if the Composites DO fit w/ no modding to anything, as in Low N Slow's case, awesome! Yet as I said, I remember reading a thread where a few people had to and also had mentioned needing to. We could very well be looking at a "6 of 1, 1/2 a dozen of the other" case.

Now as to what I was trying to squelch, just the thought you may have been having that the 94 Vette my friend has that came with those Composites, may not have originally came with them. In reference to me using it as an example for the "that came on a lot of Vettes" that you keep bringing up. Which I'm not sure what the quote, or Vettes, has to do with the necessity of some sort of modification for fitment.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:50 PM
Village Troll

In reference to me using it as an example for the "that came on a lot of Vettes" that you keep bringing up. Which I'm not sure what the quote, or Vettes, has to do with the necessity of some sort of modification for fitment.
This quote:
Well you can't run the Composite covers that came on a lot of Vettes w/o doing that.
Which was in reference to this:
That's pretty beat to install them like that with the Open PVC and hacking the Alt up,
Which is wrong at least for LT4 composite valve covers. No "hacking" necessary.
I know the LT4 composite valve covers are not high profile and will fit any LT1 f-body just fine. I have no idea about the LT1 valve covers, but they are supposedly identical to the LT4's except for some of the reinforcement webbing inside. The LT4's have more clearance on the inside to make way for Crane Gold rockers.
Old 03-21-2009, 05:59 PM
11 Second Club

Formula mine was a 95.Im Pissed i didnt take them off b4 I sold it. When I did take one off it was smooth on the inside and had no bracing. I know for a fact the orig owner didnt put LT4s on it. He prob never even popped the hood himself.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:10 PM
12 Second Club

I ran these on my LT1 before I tore it down. I did not have to grind the alternator. I got a ball peen hammer and had to tap the valve cover in about 1/8th of an inch for the alternator to go on, it made a little cosmetic blemish on the cover from hitting it with the hammer but it wasn't visible with the alternator installed. Those valve covers have a slight slant at the ends they are not straight up and down.
Old 03-21-2009, 08:41 PM
TECH Regular

way to just toss the original posters ??/topic in the garbage just to once again trash another members bad info posting... I mean isn't that the point of all this forum nonsense we can all just write whatever we want, based on fact/fiction/experience/lies/etc//// if you wanted solid info shouldn't you get it from a dealership, or something like a FSM????
Old 03-21-2009, 09:00 PM
Village Troll

Originally Posted by AChotrod
Formula mine was a 95.Im Pissed i didnt take them off b4 I sold it. When I did take one off it was smooth on the inside and had no bracing. I know for a fact the orig owner didnt put LT4s on it. He prob never even popped the hood himself.
Did the inside look like this?

way to just toss the original posters ??/topic in the garbage just to once again trash another members bad info posting... I mean isn't that the point of all this forum nonsense we can all just write whatever we want, based on fact/fiction/experience/lies/etc//// if you wanted solid info shouldn't you get it from a dealership, or something like a FSM????
Who is this directed to, and a dealership? Are you serious...

Quick Reply: Are These Valve Covers New?