LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Overall mod/suggestion thread

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 08:04 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Overall mod/suggestion thread

I have asked a few different mod related/issue's I'm having questions in various threads and thought I would try and contain it to this one thread.

First, I have a '93 T/A and need a chip tune...could a list of ALL the various vendors and reputations they have to the best of those replying's knowledge be listed?

Second, I want to do the bolt on mods before I tear into my heads and cam for now...but I will be in the top end down the road. That being said, Headers, fuel injectors, complete exhaust set-ups lists? Pros and Cons, good or bad luck with any vendors, quality issues or pros of listed vendors, dyno numbers/actual power increases, room for head and cam work down the road or will a whole new exhaust be needed?

Third, Misc bolt on's, aside from NOS for now, that are worth the money and time they take...engine related/HP gains for now. I have read the newb thread on various mistakes and favorite mods, but would like more detail as to the why or quality issues anyone has had regarding any of these mods.

Basically, I want to get the car as high as I can on the dyno sheet before digging into the heads and cam and spray. Especially since the car runs great for a 118K motor and has kind of turned into my daily driver as it's a lot more fun to drive than my Sentra :-p so long as it stays reliable...

Overall, the car is going to need to stay a relatively daily driver comfortable/reliable car but I want some power and the potential to max out streetable power without wasting time/money on mods that will have to come off or be replaced when I upgrade to the next step if you know what I mean.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
I have asked a few different mod related/issue's I'm having questions in various threads and thought I would try and contain it to this one thread.

First, I have a '93 T/A and need a chip tune...could a list of ALL the various vendors and reputations they have to the best of those replying's knowledge be listed?

Second, I want to do the bolt on mods before I tear into my heads and cam for now...but I will be in the top end down the road. That being said, Headers, fuel injectors, complete exhaust set-ups lists? Pros and Cons, good or bad luck with any vendors, quality issues or pros of listed vendors, dyno numbers/actual power increases, room for head and cam work down the road or will a whole new exhaust be needed?

Third, Misc bolt on's, aside from NOS for now, that are worth the money and time they take...engine related/HP gains for now. I have read the newb thread on various mistakes and favorite mods, but would like more detail as to the why or quality issues anyone has had regarding any of these mods.

Basically, I want to get the car as high as I can on the dyno sheet before digging into the heads and cam and spray. Especially since the car runs great for a 118K motor and has kind of turned into my daily driver as it's a lot more fun to drive than my Sentra :-p so long as it stays reliable...

Overall, the car is going to need to stay a relatively daily driver comfortable/reliable car but I want some power and the potential to max out streetable power without wasting time/money on mods that will have to come off or be replaced when I upgrade to the next step if you know what I mean.
You're asking for a LOT of information that can easily be found from using the search feature. Not that I'm lazy, but man...you're asking for pretty much everything.
Old 03-20-2009, 08:23 PM
TECH Regular

Pretty much, yea...and it's because every time I try to use the "search function" for let's say "Cam swap" it brings up recipes for Belgian waffles, for sale threads, and rust repair on an '85 Astro van instead of what I type in. The other hint I got was try and search for the poster of the thread who talked about the question you have...which is useful, so long as you know that thread ever existed, who it was that wrote it, and you were around on the message board when he wrote it and not out of town working or not even a member of the forum yet when he wrote it.

I'm not being an *** here...at least not on purpose :-p but I have repeatedly tried to use the search and read through the stickies, but I don't have a lot of computer time in the evenings...or ever really...to search and search and search to get everything BUT what I'm looking for. And Google searching is just as bad except it brings up everything from everyone including those who know nothing about our cars unlike this specific to LT1 forum. And most of the stickys are for total newbs...I'm not new to cars or even the LT1, I have just never sat down and torn so far into one before as I plan to nor have I written up a plan for mods like this before and I just wanted a baseline or guide from those who have done some of these mods already and know what kind of gains they got.
Old 03-21-2009, 10:22 AM
TECH Regular

Alright, not everything then, just one or whatever part anyone may feel like responding to would be fine as well. Anyone done exhaust and have a suggestion/comment, that would work. I don't need all the information at once...just piecemeal so I have a common thread to look at and compare as I go along on my project. I understand some of it is subjective and based on personal preference, but the stuff that has real hard numbers behind it so I don't waste my time and money would be helpful too.
Old 03-21-2009, 01:01 PM

For a '93 EPROM i'd recommend PCMForLess, F.A.S.T Chips (Ed Wright) or Ion @ MadZ28.com. All three are reputable tuners for 92-93 LT1 SD cars.

As long as you stay away from SLP LT's (due to clearance issues) you should be fine with any of the "name brand" headers. I can't think off top of any that have been known to have finish, fitment, or ground clearance issues besides the SLP.

Basically, I want to get the car as high as I can on the dyno sheet before digging into the heads and cam and spray.
Do every single last bolt-on (1.6/1.7 rr, EWP, crank pulley etc etc.) and get a custom dyno-tune. That otta max u out....
Old 03-21-2009, 06:11 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Alvin at pcmforless for the tune, headers w/x pipe, ASP 945103 pulley set, beehives, Scorpion 1.7's and most important the Yank SS 3600 if you have an auto. These mods pushed my 3900# car to a 12.86 et. That equates to a 3400# F-body in the 12.3x-12.4x range.
Old 03-21-2009, 06:18 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Cold air intake

Full exhaust

Long tube headers is a must and worth the gain, full 3inch exhaust

1.6 or 1.7 rocker arms

Go with a good dyno tune, mail order tunes are not worth it to me and you make more power when you have a good tuner with the car.

3:73 gear or 4.10s aside from headers this is the other best upgrade

Pulleys and throttle body when you have the extra cash
Old 03-21-2009, 06:19 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Alright, not everything then, just one or whatever part anyone may feel like responding to would be fine as well. Anyone done exhaust and have a suggestion/comment, that would work. I don't need all the information at once...just piecemeal so I have a common thread to look at and compare as I go along on my project. I understand some of it is subjective and based on personal preference, but the stuff that has real hard numbers behind it so I don't waste my time and money would be helpful too.

Long tubes with true dauls and a x pipe will net the best power gain over a y pipe setup.

Its worth the noise
Old 03-21-2009, 07:29 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by slick1851
Cold air intake

Full exhaust

Long tube headers is a must and worth the gain, full 3inch exhaust

1.6 or 1.7 rocker arms

Go with a good dyno tune, mail order tunes are not worth it to me and you make more power when you have a good tuner with the car.

3:73 gear or 4.10s aside from headers this is the other best upgrade

Pulleys and throttle body when you have the extra cash
I would love that option...do you know of a place to get the proper tuning program for a piggyback PROM that would work on my Windows XP laptop? Cord/adapter for my OBDI plug to the laptop (bus plug I take it?) It has 3.73 gears and it is auto, so I would need to upgrade the stall.

Quick Reply: Overall mod/suggestion thread