LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Electrical Connectors for A/C, EGR, AIR

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2009, 02:12 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical Connectors for A/C, EGR, AIR

Ok guys I've got a couple questions:

Last summer I removed my EGR and AIR systems when I installed my headers, and yesterday I removed my A/C and installed the 1LE delete pulley.

Now I'm left with 4 connectors and I'm not sure what to do with them-- just cover the ends with electric tape and tuck them away out of sight??

One went to the EGR soleniod, the second to the AIR system, the third to an A/C line near the PCM and the last to the A/C compressor.

My second question is about removing the A/C system. I removed the compressor and that cannister looking thing thats right next to my battery. I left the condensor in because I didnt have time to see if it can be removed, plus its not really in the way of anything anyways.

Then there's this thing that looks like its attached directly to the firewall, near the PCM-- looks like the two coolant lines to the heaterbox plug into or next to it. It's in a black plastic case and the A/C lines plugged into it, too. Any body know what the heck this thing is and if it should be removed or not?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:16 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
Ok guys I've got a couple questions:

Last summer I removed my EGR and AIR systems when I installed my headers, and yesterday I removed my A/C and installed the 1LE delete pulley.

Now I'm left with 4 connectors and I'm not sure what to do with them-- just cover the ends with electric tape and tuck them away out of sight??

One went to the EGR soleniod, the second to the AIR system, the third to an A/C line near the PCM and the last to the A/C compressor.

My second question is about removing the A/C system. I removed the compressor and that cannister looking thing thats right next to my battery. I left the condensor in because I didnt have time to see if it can be removed, plus its not really in the way of anything anyways.

Then there's this thing that looks like its attached directly to the firewall, near the PCM-- looks like the two coolant lines to the heaterbox plug into or next to it. It's in a black plastic case and the A/C lines plugged into it, too. Any body know what the heck this thing is and if it should be removed or not?
I did the same as you except I did remove my AC condenser. Just remove it carefully and don't scratch your radiator. I just left the electrical connections as it, just made sure that they weren't going to get near the belt or headers.

That big box thing you are talking about is the heater core. It's bolted to the firewall and is under the dash. You have to remove the dash to completely remove it and install a block off plate. Then you'll have no AC or heat. I'll be doing that sometime soon as well. Weight reduction =
Old 03-27-2009, 04:57 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

The a/c evaporator is what the refrigerant lines go to-not the heater core. Both are contained in the housing. The evaporator is more on the engine comparment side and the heater core is more under the dashboard.
Old 03-27-2009, 05:49 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

subscribed...
Old 03-27-2009, 10:59 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awsome, thanks for your help guys.

Shbox, is this evaporator something that would be worth getting rid of? It does take up a decent amount of space under the hood. I didnt get a really good look at it but I get the feeling that it'd be a pretty big pain to remove.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
Awsome, thanks for your help guys.

Shbox, is this evaporator something that would be worth getting rid of? It does take up a decent amount of space under the hood. I didnt get a really good look at it but I get the feeling that it'd be a pretty big pain to remove.
You have to pull the dash to remove it, but as far as the room that it frees up...imagine being able to remove the #8 sparkplug in a matter of seconds...

Quick Reply: Electrical Connectors for A/C, EGR, AIR