LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

1994 Z28 Solid Roller Nitrous Motor Dyno Results-Graph-Video

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2009, 08:41 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by LS1 SPEED
The car had full exhaust, 9" with 4.10's etc which can take away from things some.
If you had to guess a percentage of power that would be lost due to the 9" and 4.10's. What would that pecentage be?
Old 03-31-2009, 08:48 AM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A couple photos;

Your correct, I do not have hands on, in the motor. I have the information from the cam card, for the motor. I have seen myself, pictures of the motor being built. The porting work was done by a place called American Speed, in Moline Illinois. I am trusting all of the numbers I am given, being I have known the guy that put this together for quite a while, and I knew the previous car it was in. That said, I am sure there is head and intake work to be improved on. Thankyou for the opinions, I will consider each of them. Like everything, it will always be a work in progress. This is where I am at now, and for a starting point with a totally new setup, i'd say its pretty solid. Truth be told, I would rather have a hydraulic roller, but for the time being this will be the setup I run. As far as the smoke, I am thinking as stated, PCV, Intake Gasket, Or rings themselves. I talked to the guy who built it, and he stated they are setup to be a little loose, and they are low tension rings. I deleted the message so I don't remember exactly which type, but he stated they won't seal just exactly as a street ran motor would. I will include some photos, to let you decide for yourself about the intake/heads/engine. I personally don't feel as if I am hurt, by the numbers made for the price I came across the engine for. If I had spent all the money it took to build it myself new, well, I may be a little disappointed.

Old 03-31-2009, 09:03 AM
Teching In

Here is the information I was included along with the engine, from an email when purchased;
"The main specs on the engine are:

Stock block with all machine work done by American Speed in Moline
Eagle 4340 Forged 383 crank, gun-drilled/ chamfered bearings
Eagle 6" H-beam 4340 Forged rods
SRP (JE) 16cc dish pistons (.030 over)

Heads are stock LT1, w/ 2.02 intake - 1.57 exhaust (.100 long) stainless valves
Flow 290 CFM @ .600 lift intake
205 CFM @ .600 lift exhaust

Now the cam, which I didnt realize he changed this last time around is a Custom Comp nitrous cam. They call it part number 07-0009/4121/4004/SR112

This cam is:
Intake 244 @ .050 duration, .615 lift
Exhaust 250 @ .050 duration, .630 lift
Lobe separation is 112, which is great for the nitrous

He had given me the springs specs, Ill have to double check, I would guess they are the matching Comp Cams springs to the cam, and the same goes for the pushrods and lifters. I really didnt know he put a solid roller in it til just lately. He put that in last year and pretty much just raced it. "
Old 03-31-2009, 09:40 AM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by Nostang
Power is all in the heads/intake. We don't know who ported the heads, the intake runner size/shape, combustion chamber size or compression. All of those variables could make a combo that ranges from 400rwhp all the way up to ~480rwhp.
If a solid roller application is putting down those kind of numbers there needs to be an investigation as to why the output is that low whether it be going to a different dyno or engine inspection.
Depends on your definition of small vs large runner size. I should have clarified. It is much harder to make power to over 7000 rpms with a 180cc head than with a 195+ head.
For that cam it is not necessary to change out to anything other than stock ported heads/intake. They will easily support power to at least 7K if not 7500rpm on a 383.
Correct, the graph does not look like a typical valve float. However, it is something to check if he ever decides to step up on the heads.
Valvetrain, sure, but there's nothing on that graph which indicates there is a problem with the valvetrain is what I'm saying.
Not sure what the yikes comment is about. The vid makes it seems as though the tires are rubbing on the fenderwell but it is hard to see. If not it is probably blow by from the rings in which case reading the plugs would indicate how much oil is getting on the plugs.

JMO....everyone has one.
I would sure hope that those who are dynoing this car would be observant enough to find out where the smoke is coming from.

TO THE OP:
I really hope you find out what's going on with this engine. I very much appreciate your service. THANK YOU!
Old 03-31-2009, 11:23 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS RRR

I would sure hope that those who are dynoing this car would be observant enough to find out where the smoke is coming from.
you make it sound as if we did something wrong here? I gave him an idea on things to check, but there was nothing obvious.

I inspected the car and fixed a few obvious things prior to strapping the car down.

should we have started to tear the engine down to look for further issues?

The car ran fine otherwise then smoke just on the very peak of the run. The 1st pull was worse, but after the motor got more heat in it the smoke was not as bad as you can see in the video.

There are some things for Jason to look into with the car, but again overall he has a solid combo to work with.
Old 03-31-2009, 11:29 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by SS RRR
Not for a solid roller stroker, unless it is dyno/dyno operator error...
there is no error here and why even push that comment? did you just wake up when posting or just not realized we have tuned some of the fastest LTx and LSx cars in the country and know a thing or two on how to operate a dyno?

Jason knows he is not making the best power, but it is what it is, he's happy and there are things to work forward with on his combo.

how else would he learn these things without being on the dyno?

again remember we have nothing to do with this combo other then dyno/tuning, so I have no reason to defend the build other then you come across as we did something wrong twice here
Old 03-31-2009, 12:02 PM
Village Troll

Received 541 Likes on 391 Posts

I am not stating anyone did anything wrong. What I'm saying is diagnosing where the smoke was coming from, whether it be from exhaust or chassis would be painfully obvious to observe. As far as the dyno is concerned I am stating the possibilities for why the numbers could be that low. It's just an "unless/either/or" matter of fact and is not intended on insulting anyone's abilities. If you claim it is not a dyno miscalculation then I'll take your word for it. It's just that over the years I've gotten to the point of having an utter, putrid, disgusting hatred for referencing power peaks on dyno graphs. Especially now since it's seems the masses believe the norm for going 115mph takes at least 390 to 400rwhp in a full weight f-body, which is why I use the dyno/dyno operator error reference in most every thread I reply in when there is a hp/tq discrepancy.
Old 03-31-2009, 03:11 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Most engines I see on the dyno let out SOME kind of smoke, even at the track most cars let out some smoke if you watch closely.

WHat headers/ex is on this car?

What TB/CAI?

Just curious. From what I have seen NOS specific cams do not hurt engines much...a NOS specific TUNE will.

That cam on a 112 is nothing to stop power production. A NOS specific cam to me is a 115/116 LSA.
Old 04-01-2009, 03:47 AM
Teching In

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
WHat headers/ex is on this car?
I am running Kooks 1 3/4" Long tubes. I have a 3" collector, with the ORY. It bolts up to my Hooker 3" Catback Exhaust.

Originally Posted by FASTFATBOY
What TB/CAI?
Now, I am running a Moroso CAI. Now that you mention it, it makes me wonder, and is a very good point. That CAI is about 5-6 years old, and I remember that filter being less than standard. I guess I will be in the market for a new setup, or atleast a brand new filter. Sometimes maybe you overlook the small things, when you have big things in mind. My TB, is a BBK 58mm, the intake is port matched to the 58mm. It is the standard.
Old 04-01-2009, 10:23 AM
On The Tree

Speedracer your set up sounds pretty much like what im doing. except my plate kit will be on a SR 396. i cant wait to get back home from this deployment and get her dyno'd!
Old 04-01-2009, 01:00 PM
Teching In

Default Iowa huh?

Originally Posted by daves94formula
Speedracer your set up sounds pretty much like what im doing. except my plate kit will be on a SR 396. i cant wait to get back home from this deployment and get her dyno'd!
Oddly enough,my car is in, and I am from Davenport Iowa... Maybe we could meet up sometime if we're both around...

Last edited by Speedracer2j; 04-01-2009 at 01:06 PM.

Quick Reply: 1994 Z28 Solid Roller Nitrous Motor Dyno Results-Graph-Video