LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

93-95 mac headers vs 96-97

Search this Thread

Old 03-30-2009, 06:18 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 93-95 mac headers vs 96-97

Still keeping my options open on what headers I am going to get, and had a question. I know everyone usually gives Macs a glowing review for a midlength header but I noticed that usually it is the people with the single cat cars that say they are great (as in close ~5rwhp to LTs).

I know the single cat style usually puts up in the ~20rwhp range (when using their ory).

The single cat style look like "stubby" LTs, but the dual cat style is 1 part "stubby" LT and 1 part "pretzel."

How does the dual cat style compare to the single cat style for their headers as far as rwhp/rwtq gains are concerned?
Old 03-30-2009, 06:22 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jaywalkersw
Still keeping my options open on what headers I am going to get, and had a question. I know everyone usually gives Macs a glowing review for a midlength header but I noticed that usually it is the people with the single cat cars that say they are great (as in close ~5rwhp to LTs).

I know the single cat style usually puts up in the ~20rwhp range (when using their ory).

The single cat style look like "stubby" LTs, but the dual cat style is 1 part "stubby" LT and 1 part "pretzel."

How does the dual cat style compare to the single cat style for their headers as far as rwhp/rwtq gains are concerned?
Do you have to get mids? I always suggest getting LT's.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:26 PM
On The Tree

Not right now, but I was just curious as to how the two designs compared or if there was any difference.
Old 03-30-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Not right now, but I was just curious as to how the two designs compared or if there was any difference.
LT headers will always outperform shorties and mids. Not saying that you can't get results from mids, but LT's are definitely better.
Old 03-30-2009, 07:53 PM
On The Tree

I have the 1995 version which is just the headers and y-pipe. If you wanted more power the 1995 version would be better because there are less pipes and restrictions. You would just have to tune out your 02 by the cat. Then hook up the y-pipe to your catback.

I have mac mids into their y-pipe into a 3" magnaflow cat into flowmaster catback and it sounds and gave my car a lot more power. I choose the mac's to have the same ground clearance as stock. The only thing i would ever change is to get a magnaflow catback because they sound a lot better than flowmaster.

my 2 cents
Old 03-30-2009, 07:54 PM
On The Tree

Hopefully someone with the 96-97 mac system can post what they think about the off road system.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:20 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camerory
I have the 1995 version which is just the headers and y-pipe. If you wanted more power the 1995 version would be better because there are less pipes and restrictions. You would just have to tune out your 02 by the cat. Then hook up the y-pipe to your catback.

I have mac mids into their y-pipe into a 3" magnaflow cat into flowmaster catback and it sounds and gave my car a lot more power. I choose the mac's to have the same ground clearance as stock. The only thing i would ever change is to get a magnaflow catback because they sound a lot better than flowmaster.

my 2 cents
Glad you are happy with my old set up

The Macs were nice headers. Like I've said before, the only thing I didn't care for and what you need to watch out for is the spark plug wires sitting too close to them. There are ways around it like doing the OTVC style.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:51 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
LT headers will always outperform shorties and mids. Not saying that you can't get results from mids, but LT's are definitely better.
I understand that the LTs will make more power, but I was just curious as to how the two different Mac Midlength setups compared to one another, not how they compared to LTs.
Old 03-30-2009, 08:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I understand that the LTs will make more power, but I was just curious as to how the two different Mac Midlength setups compared to one another, not how they compared to LTs.
They would be similar. No definitive performance increase from one to the other.
Old 03-31-2009, 08:54 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
The Macs were nice headers. Like I've said before, the only thing I didn't care for and what you need to watch out for is the spark plug wires sitting too close to them. There are ways around it like doing the OTVC style.
Yep, I took your advice and built my own MSD OTVC wires, they look great with the headers and should have no heat problems.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

why do they even make two versions if you use an off road Y with them?
Im gonna go with the old style on my 97 because it looks like it has less restrictions and is cheaper than the 96-97.
Old 03-31-2009, 09:55 PM
Banned

Yep, I took your advice and built my own MSD OTVC wires, they look great with the headers and should have no heat problems.
Smart man Have you had it on the dyno yet?
Old 04-01-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Resident

They make two versions to keep the CATS in the factory location of your car. Also I believe the AIR connections are different as well. If you are just going to plug the connections and run no CAT's I would go with the earlier style, I did.
Old 04-02-2009, 09:29 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by Elliott's94Z
Smart man Have you had it on the dyno yet?
Nope, I want to get out to the track soon, maybe dyno later this summer. What about your car? Dyno?
Old 04-02-2009, 11:14 PM
Banned

Nope, I want to get out to the track soon, maybe dyno later this summer. What about your car? Dyno?
It goes in on the 17th of this month for it's dyno tune. I'm not too worried about track times so I probably won't know how it does in the 1/4 until June/July
Old 04-03-2009, 07:56 AM
TECH Apprentice

I also own a 1995 T/A with the Mac Mids.. However, I am still trying to get my car up and going.. Not sure if it was mentioned here or not but several of my friends who own f-bodies went with LT headers.. Almost every single one of those guys have damage from the LT header hitting those large city t*tties.. Agreed that LT headers will give you a hair more HP over the mac mids but the HP increase is like you said ~ around 5 HP. However, you won't have to worry about bull dozing your headers against dips, bumps or city t*tties.

Quick Reply: 93-95 mac headers vs 96-97