LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Another general HP thread...sort of...

Search this Thread

Old 04-03-2009, 06:23 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Another general HP thread...sort of...

I was just curious about some HP numbers. Can a stock A4 handle 400HP? What sort of real gains/dyno numbers do you get from a Magnaflow cat back? LT headers, eliminating the cat, combined with the Magnaflow? I can't remember where I saw it, but someone posted something about what diameter exhaust could handle up to what HP...does anyone rememebr or know what 3" can support?...3 1/2"? 4"? EGR/AIR elimination?

I ask about the emissions stuff because the AIR is electric right? What sort of real gain are you getting from eliminating it? It's not run off a belt and it doesn't really interfere with anything does it? EGR block off/elimination I can see, but what does it actually do numbers wise?
Old 04-03-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by creepingdeath94
I was just curious about some HP numbers. Can a stock A4 handle 400HP? Not for long. What sort of real gains/dyno numbers do you get from a Magnaflow cat back? Maybe 5rwhp. LT headers, eliminating the cat, combined with the Magnaflow? ~25rwhp. I can't remember where I saw it, but someone posted something about what diameter exhaust could handle up to what HP...does anyone rememebr or know what 3" can support?...3 1/2"? 4"? 3" exhaust will support most people's needs. EGR/AIR elimination? No power gain whatsoever, just looks.

I ask about the emissions stuff because the AIR is electric right? What sort of real gain are you getting from eliminating it? It's not run off a belt and it doesn't really interfere with anything does it? EGR block off/elimination I can see, but what does it actually do numbers wise?
Answers in quote.
Old 04-03-2009, 07:38 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Stock 4l60E isnt that great, its a decent trans

To make it last longer you really need to run a great transmission cooler. Its honestly not going to last very long without one, and should be at the top of most peoples mod list.

Also a trans temp gauges should be in place so you can see when its getting to hot and ready to go.

RPM also is what kills auto trannys big time, the more RPM the more stress in general.

Ive read some were that a qaulity shift kit that uses normal line pressure helps.........But dont qoute me on that call up one of the shops on our forum about that.

Quick Reply: Another general HP thread...sort of...