LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Question about scanning.....

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts

Default Question about scanning.....

My 97 ws6 obviously has obd-II aldl connector and tuning stock. However, my car has an obd-I computer and tuning from PCM4less. My question is, how should i go about pulling codes? Should i get an OBd-1 cable and then do that thing on shbox's site that shows you how to jump it to an obd-II aldl port? I have a cable that plugs right in, but i can't get my scanner to power up?

Thanks guys
Old 04-07-2009, 07:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by MTBSully
My 97 ws6 obviously has obd-II aldl connector and tuning stock. However, my car has an obd-I computer and tuning from PCM4less. My question is, how should i go about pulling codes? Should i get an OBd-1 cable and then do that thing on shbox's site that shows you how to jump it to an obd-II aldl port? I have a cable that plugs right in, but i can't get my scanner to power up?

Thanks guys
I'd try it.
http://shbox.com/1/xraycable.jpg
Old 04-07-2009, 07:48 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Won't work. You need an OBDI scanner to use that trick. 95s have the OBDII connector but use OBDI diagnostics, which is why the trick was invented - not for OBDII cars.
I know he needs a OBDI scanner, he has a OBDII port but OBDI PCM. Thought it might be worth a try.
Old 04-07-2009, 07:52 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
I know he needs a OBDI scanner, he has a OBDII port but OBDI PCM. Thought it might be worth a try.
Beat me to it.

However, my car has an obd-I computer and tuning from PCM4less.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Fanatic

i'll give it a try this weekend
Old 04-07-2009, 09:31 PM
TECH Senior Member

Don't bother. Like I said, it won't work.
So why will the trick work on an OBD II connector w/ an OBD I computer like the 95 (and 94 Vettes) have, but not on the OBD II connector w/ OBD I computer that the OP has?
Old 04-07-2009, 09:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Yikes - I missed the part where he said he had an OBDI computer. I'll happily eat my words. Sorry, OP.

Not sure on the pinouts to OBDII wiring from an OBDI PCM - you might want to email a tuner and see what they say.
Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yikes - I missed the part where he said he had an OBDI computer. I'll happily eat my words. Sorry, OP.

Not sure on the pinouts to OBDII wiring from an OBDI PCM - you might want to email a tuner and see what they say.
Geeze man, even SRJ pointed it out, with me pointing out that HE pointed it out
Old 04-07-2009, 09:42 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Formula350
Geeze man, even SRJ pointed it out, with me pointing out that HE pointed it out
I tend to skip over your posts as much as possible.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:02 PM
TECH Senior Member

I tend to skip over your posts as much as possible.
And SRJ's apparently. Only ends up with you making ignorant posts like the above. That was one of the points of my signature, asking for people to PM a mod if they think how you act is hurting the forum. Skipping over what people are saying, either because you don't like them or are too lazy to read what has been said in the thread, will only lead to inaccurate posts or a contribution that's already been covered. I've told you before to read a thread before posting since it'll save us ALL time, apparently you're better than that and don't need to!

Now onto something a bit more contributive. If the 95 OBD I systems share the same wires as the OBD II systems, wouldn't that mean an OBD II w/ OBD I PCM could be scanned just fine? I don't mean wire color, by same wire. I'm referring to the wire's code, for example it being labeled "C2 White with Black". I don't know about the tunes and diagnostics, but I wouldn't think that the tune would care, compared to the system itself. I'm not saying any of that in arrogance, but in sincerity.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:03 PM
TECH Senior Member

Two paragraphs...way too much to read.
Old 04-07-2009, 10:08 PM
TECH Senior Member

Two paragraphs...way too much to read.
Sorry, didn't know that reading was a medical condition that causes you pain. I'll shorten the "more contributive" part for you:

If Wire A & B lead to the same ALDL and PCM connector pins on the OBD I and OBD II system, wouldn't that allow the scanner to work?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:30 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Formula350, your bullsh|t you have filled this thread with far outweighs Joe's two posts, both of which were brought on by what? Your bullsh|t. Just shut up man.

That said, to the OP... If you get a OBDII ALDL cable from Moates.net and the free trial version of TTs Datamaster you will be able to pull your own codes without any problems. Buy Datamaster if you got the cash, it's a good program.

You will need a laptop computer or a desktop within reach of your car though. You could also use a program called FreeScan.

Some OBDII scanners will scan the OBDI computer in the OBDII vehicle if it is a scanner that you are able to select the year/make/model in the scanner setup. I used to do that at Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone before I had my own cable and Datamaster.
Old 04-07-2009, 11:40 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Formula350, your bullsh|t you have filled this thread with far outweighs Joe's two posts, both of which were brought on by what? Your bullsh|t. Just shut up man.

That said, to the OP... If you get a OBDII ALDL cable from Moates.net and the free trial version of TTs Datamaster you will be able to pull your own codes without any problems. Buy Datamaster if you got the cash, it's a good program.

You will need a laptop computer or a desktop within reach of your car though. You could also use a program called FreeScan.

Some OBDII scanners will scan the OBDI computer in the OBDII vehicle if it is a scanner that you are able to select the year/make/model in the scanner setup. I used to do that at Advance Auto Parts or Auto Zone before I had my own cable and Datamaster.
I have an OBD-II cable that plugs right into the port. I also have the cables that adapt that cable to a usb and allo me to plug right into my laptop. Have downloaded datamaster as well as 20 free trials of datamaster. I just can't seem to get any input from the PCM.

I'm running windows vista if that helps. Anybody have any step by step instructions for how to use freescan or datamaster?
Old 04-07-2009, 11:53 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Does your PC detect the cable when you plug it into the USB port? If not you may need drivers for it. Moates.net has drivers to download for free but I don't know if they will work with a cable other than Moates. Probably worth a try anyway.

When you open Datamaster, you will click File>Record ALDL Data. A prompt comes up telling you you have X amount of free trial runs remaining, hit OK. A new window titled Serial Data Acquisition comes up. Click the Setup menu>Com Port.

You now need to select the proper com port that your ALDL cable is running on. It has always been 3 or 4 on my computers, but yours could differ. You'll just have to try for yourself to see.

Then hook up to your car and turn the key on and click "Test Com" in the "Serial Data Acquisition" screen, or "Monitor" either one will work.

After trying what available com ports you have, if you still can't connect there are a few things you can try.

-Disconnect neg battery cable and let PCM reset. Sometimes this alone will let it communicate when you put power back to it. I don't know why, but it works.

-Test for B+ at ALDL connector, I can't remember which pin off the top of my head and my car is outside under snow right now LOL. There is probably a diagram on ShoeBox. If you don't have power to that wire, you won't get any communication.

edit: It should still work with Vista, but I run XP myself.
Old 04-08-2009, 12:54 AM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by fergymoto

Two posts only because he deleted the original 2, 1 of which you can still read in SRJ's post due to being quoted. And of alllll his posts that were similar/worse compared to mine, don't ever talk to me about bullshit posts. Especially since you've also had your fair share of them.

For anyone interested, 94-95 GMs are actually "OBD 1.5", which means that they're OBD 1 system but have some OBD 2 codes implemented in them. The one oddity I've came across so far is that OBD 1.5 says to have it's data stream on pin 9 where as OBD 2 doesn't seem to use pin 9 on any vehicle :\ So depending on how the vehicles are wired between 1.5 and 2, you may have to jump the ALDL cable pin 9 to car pin 2 (example, but should be pin 2 for data on GM). 4 & 5 are still ground and 16 still power (battery not key-on).

Would seem as though you shouldn't have to do any jumping/rewiring according to this bit of info. More specifically on the part where it says that this setup works with the 94-95 GM with the OBD II port, but also All 96+ GM OBD II systems. As if it doesn't find data on Pin 2, it'll check Pin 9.

ALL US made vehicles with OBDI computers from approx. 1986 to 1995 are using either OBDI connector or a newer style OBDII connector.
"Older Style" OBDI Connector - 12 Pin, Rectangular Shaped, used on the following vehicles: Up to 1994 F-body, Up to 1993 Y-body, Up to 1995 B-body, all SyTys, most other pre-1996 GM Vehicles

"Newer Style" OBDII Connector - 16 Pin, "D"-Shaped, used on the following vehicles: 1995+ F-bodies, 1994+ Y-bodies, and all 1996+ GM Vehicles

But wth do I know right?
Old 04-08-2009, 07:52 AM
TECH Fanatic

good info guys. I have alot of things to try this weekend when i'm home for Easter.
Old 04-08-2009, 08:43 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Originally Posted by Formula350
Two posts only because he deleted the original 2, 1 of which you can still read in SRJ's post due to being quoted. And of alllll his posts that were similar/worse compared to mine, don't ever talk to me about bullshit posts. Especially since you've also had your fair share of them.

For anyone interested, 94-95 GMs are actually "OBD 1.5", which means that they're OBD 1 system but have some OBD 2 codes implemented in them. The one oddity I've came across so far is that OBD 1.5 says to have it's data stream on pin 9 where as OBD 2 doesn't seem to use pin 9 on any vehicle :\ So depending on how the vehicles are wired between 1.5 and 2, you may have to jump the ALDL cable pin 9 to car pin 2 (example, but should be pin 2 for data on GM). 4 & 5 are still ground and 16 still power (battery not key-on).

Would seem as though you shouldn't have to do any jumping/rewiring according to this bit of info. More specifically on the part where it says that this setup works with the 94-95 GM with the OBD II port, but also All 96+ GM OBD II systems. As if it doesn't find data on Pin 2, it'll check Pin 9.

ALL US made vehicles with OBDI computers from approx. 1986 to 1995 are using either OBDI connector or a newer style OBDII connector.
"Older Style" OBDI Connector - 12 Pin, Rectangular Shaped, used on the following vehicles: Up to 1994 F-body, Up to 1993 Y-body, Up to 1995 B-body, all SyTys, most other pre-1996 GM Vehicles

"Newer Style" OBDII Connector - 16 Pin, "D"-Shaped, used on the following vehicles: 1995+ F-bodies, 1994+ Y-bodies, and all 1996+ GM Vehicles

But wth do I know right?
Not all 94-95 GM cars used what people have nick-named "1.5" (GM never called it that). I can't find a single OBD-II code present in any list of codes for a 94-95 f-body.

OBD-II most certainly uses pin 9 (at least on the f-body). That is at least how communication with the EBCM (or EBTCM) is made.

MTBSully: The wires from pins 5 and 9 of the OBD-II DLC go to the same places on the PCM as with OBD-I. So, you should be able to scan and program without difficulty. One other thing you should be mindful of is that pin 16 is 12v power and some scanners need that to work. The cigarette lighter fuse also powers that pin and is often found blown.
Old 04-08-2009, 10:31 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i bought my cable from AKM he has one that has both plugs on the same cable
Old 04-08-2009, 10:43 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 196 Likes on 138 Posts

if you have a obd2 port but switched to the obd 1 pcm, contact moates.net for the 95 obd2 connector/ obd1 cable. If this is not clear then contact bryan at pcm for less. He has done many obd2 to obd1 conversions and might be able to explain this better.

Last edited by kinglt-1; 04-08-2009 at 10:48 AM.

Quick Reply: Question about scanning.....