LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

stock windage tray

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-2009, 07:25 PM
TECH Junkie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default stock windage tray

does it attach to the studs off the mains ? i have one in my oil pan and my builder said there wasnt another one there. am i missing something ? i didnt pull the pan and i dont want to get fucked in the *** after i go through the trouble of installing my engine just for it to give me a problem.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:28 PM
TECH Regular

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Attaches to the rear main studs.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:32 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by My95Z
Attaches to the rear main studs.
do you by any chance have a picture of it ? or of the oil pan. my builder said that even if i had one it wouldnt clear the one thats in my pan... i very skeptical on this and really cant afford a problem right now
Old 04-23-2009, 07:34 PM
TECH Regular

Here you go
Attached Thumbnails stock windage tray-windagetraytrim1tn.jpg  
Old 04-23-2009, 07:36 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by SoxXpupPeT
do you by any chance have a picture of it ? or of the oil pan. my builder said that even if i had one it wouldnt clear the one thats in my pan... i very skeptical on this and really cant afford a problem right now
He's probaly thinking of the larger ones, these are pretty small, fit well, and work very well I wouldn't run and engine without one.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:37 PM
TECH Junkie

He's probaly thinking of the larger ones, these are pretty small, fit well, and work very well I wouldn't run and engine without one.
wtf he said i didnt have one. wtf is going on. i didnt take the oil pan off so i cant say for sure but every thread ive ever read everyone mentions the stock windage tray and he told me that i didnt have one. jesus christ
Old 04-23-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Regular

Unless someone previously took it off, your car had one and really needs one. You can pick them up on e-bay for cheap, but it really should have had one already...wierd.
Old 04-23-2009, 07:55 PM
TECH Junkie

Unless someone previously took it off, your car had one and really needs one. You can pick them up on e-bay for cheap, but it really should have had one already...wierd.
yeah that is weird. and i really wanted to ******* put my engine in this weekend but now i ******* cant im SO ******* PISSED OFF
Old 04-23-2009, 09:01 PM
TECH Junkie

does anyone else have any thoughts about the stock windage tray ?
Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Regular

i know i have one laying around if you need one.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:23 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

does anyone else have any thoughts about the stock windage tray ?
Like what? You want someone to say you don't need it? You do.
Old 04-23-2009, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

If you need to order one might consider something like the Moroso 23020.

Kicker is going to be if the guy left out the tray he probably used fasteners that are not compatible. Milodon makes studs that will work right(ARP wont). If you have main studs already use the Milodon. If you have main bolts then get some new stock bolts. Reason I say that is the block needs to be line honed with the fastener that will be used, at this point you need to stick with either stud or bolt whichever has been used.

Just a thought but are you using an aftermarket pan? If so some of them do mount a windage tray in the pan instead of on the main fastners.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:21 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by shbox
Like what? You want someone to say you don't need it? You do.
lol yeah i do but that aint gonna happen lol

Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
If you need to order one might consider something like the Moroso 23020.

Kicker is going to be if the guy left out the tray he probably used fasteners that are not compatible. Milodon makes studs that will work right(ARP wont). If you have main studs already use the Milodon. If you have main bolts then get some new stock bolts. Reason I say that is the block needs to be line honed with the fastener that will be used, at this point you need to stick with either stud or bolt whichever has been used.

Just a thought but are you using an aftermarket pan? If so some of them do mount a windage tray in the pan instead of on the main fastners.
i already have ARP main studs for use with the windage tray. my oil pan has what my builder said was a windage tray built in and id did look like one. he said that if there was another one that connected to the studs it wouldnt fit. it just irked me and i asked him afew times if he had taken one off and he said he didnt
Old 04-23-2009, 10:42 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your oil pan has one built in then NO you do not need a stock one and a stock one will no longer fit anyway.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:49 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fergymoto
If your oil pan has one built in then NO you do not need a stock one and a stock one will no longer fit anyway.
but its the stock oil pan.. i didnt get a chance to take a picture but my builder said it was a windage tray. and it certainly looked like one. sorry for the stupid questions guys im just nervous i dont wanna **** anything up
Old 04-23-2009, 11:05 PM
12 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Oh, I didn't realize it still has the stock oil pan. The stock oil pan does not have a windage tray. It has a baffle down in the bottle the the pickup slips down under, other than that it has nothing. That is probably what you though was the windage tray.
Old 04-23-2009, 11:13 PM
TECH Junkie

Originally Posted by fergymoto
Oh, I didn't realize it still has the stock oil pan. The stock oil pan does not have a windage tray. It has a baffle down in the bottle the the pickup slips down under, other than that it has nothing. That is probably what you though was the windage tray.
ahhhh.. but i always read that people have windage trays with there stock lt1's. so will i be fine to run it and not have to worry about oiling issues ?
Old 04-24-2009, 05:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

GM felt it necessary to put a windage tray in even the b-bodies with a 5500rpm limit. Guessing you will take the new motor to 6500, if GM thought it was necessary at 5500 I don't think there is any question at 6500.

As said the stock pan has a baffle in the bottom but that is not the same as a windage tray.

Some times those old school gen 1 guys are a little off in their advise.

One local guy would not believe that LT1s had a windage tray till I showed him one on the stand, then it was a complete surprise as if I had never told him before.

Most guys find the ARP windage tray studs to be too short for mounting the stock tray with a stock or stroker crank, like I said though Milodon makes ones that work. With a lighter weight smaller counterweight crank I could see the ARPs working. Part of me wonders why the ARP studs are troublesome on the LT1, got to be something simple like maybe out main bolt holes are tapped deeper.

Last edited by 96capricemgr; 04-24-2009 at 07:26 AM.
Old 04-24-2009, 07:20 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 54 Likes on 48 Posts

ahhhh.. but i always read that people have windage trays with there stock lt1's. so will i be fine to run it and not have to worry about oiling issues ?
No, you still need the windage tray. Stock engines have a windage tray AND an oil pan with baffles.

http://shbox.com/1/oil_pan_baffle.jpg

http://shbox.com/1/oil_pump.jpg
Old 04-24-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Junkie

thanks 96capricemgr and shbox. im just real pissed that now i have to either find out where mine is or get another one and postpone my install. im just real depressed right now

Quick Reply: stock windage tray