LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Disappointed after modifications!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2009, 02:27 PM
Launching!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Don't get too down on your combo yet. I have a similar cam (33x/34x on a 109LSA) in a stock TPI short block with a mini ram and AFR 190 heads (ported). I shift at 6500RPM, and the cam is still pulling (the driver is scared of destruction!). The car has gone 11.66 at 117 and put down in the neighborhood of 380RWHP. I only have 30lb injectors. I think the shorties are killing you. A cam with a tight LSA (and lots of overlap) really needs the scavenging affect that full-lengths provide. Also, looking at your Dyno run, it appears that the operator stopped at about 6200RPM...WHY? It should make power past that point. However, your valve train needs to accomodate the RPM. What is your valve train setup?
Old 04-27-2009, 02:35 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by pancherj
Don't get too down on your combo yet. I have a similar cam (33x/34x on a 109LSA) in a stock TPI short block with a mini ram and AFR 190 heads (ported). I shift at 6500RPM, and the cam is still pulling (the driver is scared of destruction!). The car has gone 11.66 at 117 and put down in the neighborhood of 380RWHP. I only have 30lb injectors. I think the shorties are killing you. A cam with a tight LSA (and lots of overlap) really needs the scavenging affect that full-lengths provide. Also, looking at your Dyno run, it appears that the operator stopped at about 6200RPM...WHY? It should make power past that point. However, your valve train needs to accomodate the RPM. What is your valve train setup?
A) Your cam is too big, and it's peaking beyond usable RPM.
You could improve your ETs and overall HP output by using an appropriately sized cam.
B) By shifting it at 6500, you're running a significant risk of spinning a bearing.
I'm not telling you not to do it, but I want people who read this thread to understand that it's playing with fire.
Start saving for your rebuild and new rotating assembly now.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:10 PM
Launching!

Been down the track about 50 times in the last two years (don't know how many times before that). I didn't build the car. Traxion and Joe Overton did. Runs pretty good I'd say. I agree though, it could go at any time.
Old 04-27-2009, 03:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by pancherj
The valve train set up is 1.6 7/16 stainless steel RR, hardened 4130,.080 wall push rods, flat guide plates to match, 7/16 screw in studs, & Lunnati double coil springs w/dampers.The tuner was scared to put on more timing as he saw that its too risky to do so.
Old 04-28-2009, 06:53 AM
Launching!

Valve train setup sounds good (very similar to mine). If it were me, I'd try the long tube headers next. I have Hooker Super Comps (1 3/4" into a 3" collector). That would be about the size you would want. Try buying a cheap, used pair first if you can. If they work out, then spend the money on stainless or ceramic coated ones when the funds allow.
Old 04-28-2009, 10:29 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think its a shame people are bashing the head porter since they do not know who he is! You can have an awesome set of heads with mismatched compression and cam selection that can cause this. I feel the cam is too large for the compression NOT the CI.....The heads could be ported in such a way where they have had the flow destroyed!
At this point it ould be less expensive to do a cam swap that will work well with the compression you have. If it still does not run then i would think strongly about sending your current heads out to one of the very well trusted gurus to see if they can be salvaged...
Old 04-28-2009, 03:16 PM
TECH Regular

When it comes to his cam, there are just too many "x"s after the first two numbers. Those last digits are incredibly important.

Guys, please, resist the temptation of throwing in an "x" when posting your numbers. That is, unless you don't care about the accuracy of the responses.

Are we talking 249 @ .050 or 240? Is the LSA 100 or 109? BIG differences!

Absence of torque tells me too much duration; cam's about 2-1/2 - 3 sizes too big for the CID and desired RPM range.

Remember HP is not measured, it's only calculated. It's TORQUE and RPM and the mathematical constant (5252) that determines HP.

The most common mistake made in camshaft selection is choosing one with too much duration. Check the Chevy High-Performance mag, March, 2008 issue to read all about it from interviews with the cam gurus from Lunati, CompCams and Crane.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:21 PM
TECH Regular

He needs 1.1 to 1.2 HP and 1.1 to 1.2 ft/lbs of torque per cubic inch to even be in the ballpark.

Crunch the numbers and see where the engine, at a minimum, should be.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Old 04-28-2009, 03:33 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by JAKEJR
When it comes to his cam, there are just too many "x"s after the first two numbers. Those last digits are incredibly important.

Guys, please, resist the temptation of throwing in an "x" when posting your numbers. That is, unless you don't care about the accuracy of the responses.

Are we talking 249 @ .050 or 240? Is the LSA 100 or 109? BIG differences!

Absence of torque tells me too much duration; cam's about 2-1/2 - 3 sizes too big for the CID and desired RPM range.

Remember HP is not measured, it's only calculated. It's TORQUE and RPM and the mathematical constant (5252) that determines HP.

The most common mistake made in camshaft selection is choosing one with too much duration. Check the Chevy High-Performance mag, March, 2008 issue to read all about it from interviews with the cam gurus from Lunati, CompCams and Crane.

Jake

West Point ROCKS!
Since this is a custom cam, then i wouldn't mind posting the exact numbers its 240/246 600/609 lsa is 109 hope this helps?
Old 04-28-2009, 04:51 PM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by SS RRR
With that cam these gears are going to kill your chances at any good ET even if the dyno is to blame on the low numbers. That cam is ridiculous for 350cid.
Agreed seems like an abortion of parts with too big of a cam
Old 04-28-2009, 06:48 PM
TECH Addict

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

as it has been stated, the cam is way too big for your setup. you should just call llyoyd, he will certainly help you with a better cam selection.
Old 04-29-2009, 06:27 PM
TECH Apprentice

Originally Posted by sweetbmxrider
as it has been stated, the cam is way too big for your setup. you should just call llyoyd, he will certainly help you with a better cam selection.
Yep i will contact him again to see what i can do to fix my setup.

Quick Reply: Disappointed after modifications!