LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Project "bad ass" TRUE DUALS underway. Please comment on my design.

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Puck
That is one very well made exhaust. It tucks up so close!

Looking real good .
Thanks. I am very happy with it thus far.

I ran into a snag with the pipe that exits the muffler and goes to the passenger side tip. The Magnaflow J-bend has a 4" radius and that was going to run that pipe under the trunk well right at those round rubber plugs. The issue was the left side tip pipe and the right side tip pipe were going to be at different angles relative to the ground plus it just looked a bit funky being that low. What I needed was a tighter radius J-bend so that the pipe would tuck up in the cavity along side the muffler.

I called all around the country for hours on end looking for tight radius 2.5" mandrel bends and found a place called Woolf Aircraft in Michigan who helped me out. http://www.woolfaircraft.com/
These are the folks to call if you need tight radius Mandrel bends since they have the best Mandrel bender money can buy and is capable of making tighter turns than everyone else including stainless works and Burns.

I bought two L-bends at $80.00 shipped that have a 2.5" radius to make the new J-pipe going over to the passenger side and now the thing tucks up much higher right along side the muffler. This detour was expensive but the end results as seen in the pics have made it well worth it.

Old 06-13-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Addict

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

*subscribing* That thing looks killer man, I'd like to see what you pick up when you dyno it. If it is substantial, I may do the same thing and ditch the GMMG.
Old 06-13-2009, 10:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by DopdBrd
*subscribing* That thing looks killer man, I'd like to see what you pick up when you dyno it. If it is substantial, I may do the same thing and ditch the GMMG.
It will go to the dyno late summer or early fall at the soonest. Nothing else other than the exhaust will have been changed so it should very interesting. I expect maybe 5-10RWHP which will get me much closer to the 400RWHP target. Who knows, maybe it will make more with the new cutout locations?

I came within a hair of putting chambered muffler on this setup like your GMMG. I opted for the Magnaflow to make it a little more quiet but I have the ability, built in to put them on if I want down the road if I choose.
Old 06-13-2009, 11:04 AM
TECH Addict

Originally Posted by wrd1972
It will go to the dyno late summer or early fall at the soonest. Nothing else other than the exhaust will have been changed so it should very interesting. I expect maybe 5-10RWHP which will get me much closer to the 400RWHP target. Who knows, maybe it will make more with the new cutout locations?

I came within a hair of putting chambered muffler on this setup like your GMMG. I opted for the Magnaflow to make it a little more quiet but I have the ability, built in to put them on if I want down the road if I choose.
If I do TD's then I will most likely go with a Chambered muffler. I love the sound of the GMMG, but I know that TD's will pick up power when I get the 383 done and the F1A strapped on.

I had dual cutouts mounted where you do on my old Hooker setup and loved the sound, but they were a bitch to get to and I switched to stainless headers.
Old 06-13-2009, 07:56 PM
TECH Resident

I'm glad you don't build ****, and properly named this thread.

Congrats.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:39 PM
TECH Veteran

New pics:

I was in the process of welding the pipes solid but ran out of shielding gas.

I decided to MIG the joints that cant be seen. The ones that can be seen will be nicely TIG'd afterall. The rear pipes that can be seen will also get mirror polished as well as the muffler.

There is still some more fitment to do WRT the tips placement.

Was looking to have it all done this weekend, but now I am at the mercy of the folks refilling my cylinder.
Old 06-17-2009, 05:44 PM
TECH Resident

Holy shiz, that is a SWEET rig.

I love the duel cut-outs.

JEALOUS!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 06-17-2009, 08:40 PM
12 Second Club

awesome setup. looks great.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:42 PM
On The Tree

you gto a good setup no need to go 3in all the way back
Old 06-17-2009, 09:44 PM
Launching!

Bad *** for sure, very nice work man.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:30 PM
TECH Veteran

Thanks for the compliments guys.

I have spent the last two days stainless MIG welding all the pipes (expect the rear visible ones) together. I then spent countless hours grinding the welds down and blending the seams so you cant see the joints. My right arm feels like it is going to rot and fall off from holding that damn grinder so long.

The rear pipes will TIG welded this week and all that will be left is to mount everything up and post some better pics of it installed and some sound clips.

Been working on this project nearly 2 months now. Almost done.
Old 06-20-2009, 09:50 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts

Are those Corsa tips? Where did you get them, and how much?
Old 06-20-2009, 09:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by BTC
Are those Corsa tips? Where did you get them, and how much?
Not Corsa, I wanted dual oval tips and not round and the only ones I could find in 2.5" were some off of Ebay for $40 each:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/STAIN...Q5fAccessories

They look like good quality.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:19 PM
TECH Veteran

Update:
Still need to get the two TIG welds done on the two tips pipes, but I decided to take it out for a spin anyway and experience the sweet music.

OMG I am loving the sound of the TD's through the Magnaflow muffler. It makes my previous Borla adjustable catback and ORY pipe sound like total ***.

The exhaust tone is so much smoother deeper tone without any of the crackle, popping and other garbage that I had before. There is absolutely ZERO rasp and machine gun sound in the light throttle 2-3k RPM range. There is no annoying drone at highway speed as well.

I then opened the dual cutouts. Wow that thing is stupid loud and sounds just plain off the charts sick. I cant wait to pull up next to some rice on a Friday night, Johnny Ricer will poo his pants. It is easily 3X louder that the Borla was wide open.

Just no comparison to the previous system period.

I will get some sound clips this weekend.
Old 06-24-2009, 10:54 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by wrd1972
Update:
Still need to get the two TIG welds done on the two tips pipes, but I decided to take it out for a spin anyway and experience the sweet music.

OMG I am loving the sound of the TD's through the Magnaflow muffler. It makes my previous Borla adjustable catback and ORY pipe sound like total ***.

The exhaust tone is so much smoother deeper tone without any of the crackle, popping and other garbage that I had before. There is absolutely ZERO rasp and machine gun sound in the light throttle 2-3k RPM range. There is no annoying drone at highway speed as well.

I then opened the dual cutouts. Wow that thing is stupid loud and sounds just plain off the charts sick. I cant wait to pull up next to some rice on a Friday night, Johnny Ricer will poo his pants. It is easily 3X louder that the Borla was wide open.

Just no comparison to the previous system period.

I will get some sound clips this weekend.
IMO it doesn't get much better then true duals through a magnaflow .

Dual cutouts are insanely loud...anything more then idle sounds like front row Nascar - instant headache . You would not think it would be that much louder then a single cutout after a y-pipe, but it is!
Old 06-24-2009, 10:56 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Puck
IMO it doesn't get much better then true duals through a magnaflow .

Dual cutouts are insanely loud...anything more then idle sounds like front row Nascar - instant headache . You would not think it would be that much louder then a single cutout after a y-pipe, but it is!
I also put some tiny turn downs on the e-cutouts that point the sound more to the ground. That seemed to tone it down just a bit.

Thanks for your help along the way Puck.
Old 06-24-2009, 11:45 PM
Teching In

Talking

badass cant wait to see the ended results.
Old 06-25-2009, 08:48 AM
12 Second Club

you really lived up to the title of this post. this has to be one of the nicest true dual systems i have ever seen. plus the e cutouts are a killer addition. great work. a system like this done by a shop would cost a lot of $$$$.
Old 06-28-2009, 12:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this looks amazing! I cant wait to see what it sounds like
Old 06-29-2009, 08:56 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by Green3spd
this looks amazing! I cant wait to see what it sounds like
Here are the sound clips:
Idle, no cats, cutouts closed

Idle with dual cutouts wide open

I am extremly pleased with the sound. No rasp, machine guns (Cutouts open) or drone period that usually result from LT's and 3" single pipes like my old Borla.

Last edited by wrd1972; 06-29-2009 at 10:34 AM.

Quick Reply: Project "bad ass" TRUE DUALS underway. Please comment on my design.