LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Couple quick questions.

Search this Thread

Old 05-04-2009, 11:38 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Couple quick questions.

Okay, I just got my intake manifold back on. I had it powdercoated and the tb side bored for my 58mm tb. I also deleted the air and egr. I also put on long tubes. I have a tune with the air/egr deleted and setup for what I have done.

Now, The car idles higher than I would like, around 1100 rpms. I am presumming a vacum leak, but cant put my hands on it. Any suggestions where to look? Where does the line on the top passenger side (above the one that goes to the fuel pressure reg) go to?
Old 05-05-2009, 01:57 AM
TECH Enthusiast

there are 2 vacuum connections on the passenger side. the lower goes to the FPR like you said, the other goes to an HVAC line that runs with the main wiring harness
Old 05-05-2009, 10:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

Spray a few shots of starting fluid around the intake and see if the idle blips. You made sure to seal both front and back of the intake manifold, right?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:40 AM
On The Tree

Yep got block off plates on the back sealed with black rtv and a good gasket between the tb and the mani, torqed to 18ft lbs.

I do have a small leak around the elbow, but that should not hurt idle should it?

So spray starter fluid around the seal of the tb and the mani and it will cause the car to stumble?
Old 05-05-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock692
Yep got block off plates on the back sealed with black rtv and a good gasket between the tb and the mani, torqed to 18ft lbs.

I do have a small leak around the elbow, but that should not hurt idle should it?

So spray starter fluid around the seal of the tb and the mani and it will cause the car to stumble?
If it's after the MAF, yes, it will affect your idle.

Check all the ports on both sides of the intake and see if they are connected or capped off (brake booster vacuum line, PCV hose, fpr hose, hvac hose, egr solenoid hose, opti vent hose, hose from TB to pass side valve cover, hose from TB to EVAP, etc.) Spray starter fluid like mentioned, at every sealing point of the intake, the seal of the TB, the ports, the intake elbow, anywhere you can think of.
Old 05-05-2009, 11:58 AM
On The Tree

That is probably my problem, because I know I have a leak where the elbow meets the tb, as it is split in a couple places. I didn't think about a diff amount of air into the motor vs what the maf sensor is seeing.
Old 05-05-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by jrock692
That is probably my problem, because I know I have a leak where the elbow meets the tb, as it is split in a couple places. I didn't think about a diff amount of air into the motor vs what the maf sensor is seeing.
Yep, that can cause a huge problem.

Quick Reply: Couple quick questions.