LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Opti mounted @ back of the intake?

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2009 | 11:51 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

Default Opti mounted @ back of the intake?

Is this possible? I just saw a photo from 1Bad95z w/ the opti mounted in the back where the dizzy would go if you were to put one back there. WTF? Don't know if it was functional or not but I've never seen this done. I wish I could find the pic but now I can't as it one that's constantly changing when you log onto here.
Old 05-05-2009 | 12:12 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by SRZ
Is this possible? I just saw a photo from 1Bad95z w/ the opti mounted in the back where the dizzy would go if you were to put one back there. WTF? Don't know if it was functional or not but I've never seen this done. I wish I could find the pic but now I can't as it one that's constantly changing when you log onto here.
You have to customize a HEI distributor to mount the optical sensor from the opti inside. It takes some fabrication, but I have seen it done before. Why do you want to do that in the first place?

EDIT: Oh, I see you have a monster on your hands. If you are reaching the limits of the opti, you are probably close to the limits of your stock PCM also. You might consider using a aftermarket standalone computing system, crank trigger, and using a front mount or rear mount distributor.
Old 05-05-2009 | 12:17 PM
11 Second Club

Taner and Tony are running a rear mount distributor with the optical sensor. One is using a 1996 Vortec 5.7 turck distributor and the other is an Accel same style different brand
Old 05-05-2009 | 12:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

Check this out:

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...easer-pic.html
Old 05-05-2009 | 12:34 PM
11 Second Club

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1

One of my favorite

The Jessel Front Mount Setup might be an option for you i dont know how much space you have , or what intake or TB setup.

The Jessel alone will work with the factory water pump, but it will NOT work with the front mount distributor. The thermostat housing hits the cap , the pump would have to be spaced out 3" or so to clear. To Run sequential you will have to have a Cam sensor. I placed one in the Jessel cam gear, its not a big deal just more work.
Old 05-05-2009 | 08:32 PM
TECH Regular

Oh man... that thing has sex all over it LOL
Old 05-06-2009 | 03:37 AM
SRZ
TECH Fanatic

You have to customize a HEI distributor to mount the optical sensor from the opti inside. It takes some fabrication, but I have seen it done before. Why do you want to do that in the first place?

EDIT: Oh, I see you have a monster on your hands. If you are reaching the limits of the opti, you are probably close to the limits of your stock PCM also. You might consider using a aftermarket standalone computing system, crank trigger, and using a front mount or rear mount distributor.
My OPTI does just fine. I only spin it to 6400 @ most. I run a FAST XFI w/ a 3bar MAP.

I wasn't interested in doing it myself, I just never seen it actually done let alone a picture. It messed me up initially. Ha-ha!

Quick Reply: Opti mounted @ back of the intake?