LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Trans Am takes a long time to start

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2009, 09:37 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Alright well I called autozone a few hours ago and talked to the guy about the fuel pressure guage and asked him if they had one available as a loaner tool and he said no. I'm not really sure where to go from here I imagine I'll try going up there in person tomorrow and trying advanced autoparts as well as o'reilly.
Old 05-12-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by anolis
Alright well I called autozone a few hours ago and talked to the guy about the fuel pressure guage and asked him if they had one available as a loaner tool and he said no. I'm not really sure where to go from here I imagine I'll try going up there in person tomorrow and trying advanced autoparts as well as o'reilly.
buy one and return when you done.
Old 05-13-2009, 11:27 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by killagt
buy one and return when you done.
+1. Just say it was defective, lol.
Old 06-01-2009, 04:01 PM
Teching In

Well i haven't been able to get a hold of a fuel pressure guage but i have discovered something interesting in this case. If i prime the engine twice or three times it starts A LOT faster than if i do it just once. what could that be indicative of?
Old 06-01-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Senior Member

Well i haven't been able to get a hold of a fuel pressure guage but i have discovered something interesting in this case. If i prime the engine twice or three times it starts A LOT faster than if i do it just once. what could that be indicative of?
Could be either a bad fuel pump or a bad fuel pressure regulator.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:14 PM
TECH Regular

Mine was a fuel pump...and I think most of the time it is pump, but it could be the regulator too. Basically, the pump bleeds pressure off too fast when they do what yours is doing and it is pump related. Mine bled down from full pressure to zero immediately. I had to prime and start it before the prime stopped to get her to start until I replaced the pump. Try and turn the key and listen for the prime...wait a second or 2 and try starting it before it stops doing the 3 or 4 second prime and see if it fires right up. I have a feeling it is the pump and it is bleeding back too quickly.
Old 06-02-2009, 12:35 PM
Teching In

one thing i've noticed while im priming it is that while the pump is whining, some times instead of it just making its normal whining sound it makes a variation in that sound and kind of slows down or speeds up. could the pumps motor be out of whack?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:02 PM
TECH Regular

I just bought a 95 z28 and it takes a longer than your sound clip to start. I've tried priming the ignition 5+ times and it made zero difference. If I shut the car off after I've been driving it and then try to start it back up after 10 secs or so it is just as bad. I'm going to be checking the fuel pressure, which I'm sure it will just tell me what I already know. I know the pump could be bad, but I heard something about a seal around the injectors could also be leaking off pressure?
Old 06-02-2009, 01:09 PM
TECH Senior Member

one thing i've noticed while im priming it is that while the pump is whining, some times instead of it just making its normal whining sound it makes a variation in that sound and kind of slows down or speeds up. could the pumps motor be out of whack?
Ummm...I think I already told you that you need to get your fuel pressure tested and any questions asked until then will just be speculation.

You need to see what the pressure is at prime, idle, and WOT under load. You also need to watch the pressure after you prime or after you shut off the car. From what you describe, I bet your pressure is going to drop to zero immediately instead of holding pressure like it should. The you will have confirmed that you either have a bad fuel pump, bad fpr, or leaky injectors.
Old 06-02-2009, 02:17 PM
Teching In

Originally Posted by Red03GT
I just bought a 95 z28 and it takes a longer than your sound clip to start. I've tried priming the ignition 5+ times and it made zero difference. If I shut the car off after I've been driving it and then try to start it back up after 10 secs or so it is just as bad. I'm going to be checking the fuel pressure, which I'm sure it will just tell me what I already know. I know the pump could be bad, but I heard something about a seal around the injectors could also be leaking off pressure?
does it smell like gas around the engine bay?
Old 06-02-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Regular

does it smell like gas around the engine bay?
Nope, I haven't noticed any fuel smell.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:16 PM
TECH Fanatic

i need to know too, i did fuel pressure test, and it prime to 50 and drop to zero right away, I change all the fuel injector oring. properly replace fpr next. btw wat is good brand for fpr ? delphi is good brand ? thanks. keep us update

Last edited by killagt; 06-02-2009 at 08:23 PM.
Old 06-02-2009, 08:18 PM
TECH Senior Member

i need to know too, i did fuel pressure test, and it prime to 50 and drop to zero right away, I change all the fuel injector oring. properly replace fpr next. keep us update
Probably either a bad fuel pump, bad fpr, or leaky injectors (injectors themselves, not the o-rings).
Old 06-02-2009, 11:25 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Probably either a bad fuel pump, bad fpr, or leaky injectors (injectors themselves, not the o-rings).
it mean I have to replace all 8 of them ? btw is delphi part can be trust ? or stick with ac delco ? thanks
Old 06-03-2009, 12:02 AM
TECH Senior Member

it mean I have to replace all 8 of them ? btw is delphi part can be trust ? or stick with ac delco ? thanks
Pull up the fuel rail and prime the system. If any fuel leaks out of any injectors, they are bad and need to be fixed or replaced.
Old 06-03-2009, 12:25 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Pull up the fuel rail and prime the system. If any fuel leaks out of any injectors, they are bad and need to be fixed or replaced.
Thanks, do I need to unhook the fuel injector wire. or just pull fuel rail stray up and prime ? thanks

Quick Reply: Trans Am takes a long time to start