LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Hi

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2009, 11:11 AM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hi

Just bought a 95 Camaro w/ LT1 few weeks ago , Ive been reading the forum for few weeks .
I decided to register today and say hello.

I had few ?s
What are cheap heads that would be good for a Daily driver to give it a little more umph.
Do the regular SBC exhaust manifolds fit the lt1?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:24 AM
11 Second Club

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Even for pretty wild builds ported stock heads are a great choice.

This is NOT a gen 1 where the first thing you do is get good heads and an intake.

The stock intake even needs very little work to go well over 400rwhp, some aggressive solid roller cars have exceeded 500rwhp with fairly basic porting of it.

The LT1 exhaust manifolds are pretty good too as manifolds go anyway. You should do headers/exhaust before you look at heads. You should do a cam at the same time as heads.
You should do gears and stall before heads or cam.
pcm reprogramming is a good mod on a stock car, absolutely necessary once you start modifying things.

With overdrive you can use a lot of gear before it is a daily driver discomfort. Most agree 3.73s for an auto 4.10s for a M6. In the auto with a QUALITY 9.5" converter like Edge Yank or Vigilante 2800-3200 is comfortable for most guys, remember lockup makes all slip go away at cruise. Once you get into a modified engine 34-3600 can still be quite comfortable on the street.

Things like aftermarket MAFs, Hypertech "programmers", adjustable FPR are NOT something you should do. Anything that tricks the pcm is usually bad.

This place can be a good resource if you put in the time to figure out who to listen too and then do research before buying. You made the right move coming here before buying. We see too many "I bought this list of stuff, how much power does it make?" and we have to tell them they bought a big pile of garbage which upsets them.
Old 05-15-2009, 11:32 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Welcome to the board!

and 96capricemgr is right on
Old 05-15-2009, 11:37 AM
On The Tree

I have a 6 speed, I just wanted a little more power while i wait to do my motor build.
I think ill just wait . Maybe do a small cam and gears.
Thanks for the input.

Does any one know where to get cheap turbo exhaust manifold so I can piece together my own turbo set up?
Old 05-15-2009, 11:52 AM
11 Second Club

I don't want to discourage you from your plans but it might be encouraging to know just how far the stock shortblock can take you.

https://ls1tech.com/forums/lt1-lt4-m...s-429rwhp.html

The LT1 gets a bad rap because the average setup is not that good. There are great parts to be had for little if any more money.

My whale of a car has shocked a couple sprayed LS1 f-bodies at the track and my wife beat a late model GTO, not sure if that guy was more shocked by a Caprice beating him or that a woman was driving.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:07 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Welcome. Read everything you can on this board. Especially read the stickies.

Learn as much as you can before you buy anything. 96capricemgr is very knowledgeable, I haven't seen him steer anyone wrong yet.
Old 05-15-2009, 12:15 PM
On The Tree

Well I want to build a new motor thats what the turbo system is for.
But that wont be till next year.
Thanks 4 the links ill do some reading .
Old 05-15-2009, 12:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome, and glad to see another lt1 on the street and not the junk yard. There is a lot of good advice you can dig up around here. If you plan on doing a complete motor build you should just go ahead and start with things you can reuse such as....pcm tune, cai, smooth elbow, headers, catback, gears, 160 thermostat, electric water pump. Those are generally things you can reuse once you build a nice motor, unless you are serious on a turbo then the cai, elbow, and headers you might not want to get, but an ewp, thermostat, pcm tune, and gears alone will make a stock car a little more fun to drive.

Chris
Old 05-15-2009, 01:23 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by 94Z28-MSTGKLR
Welcome, and glad to see another lt1 on the street and not the junk yard. There is a lot of good advice you can dig up around here. If you plan on doing a complete motor build you should just go ahead and start with things you can reuse such as....pcm tune, cai, smooth elbow, headers, catback, gears, 160 thermostat, electric water pump. Those are generally things you can reuse once you build a nice motor, unless you are serious on a turbo then the cai, elbow, and headers you might not want to get, but an ewp, thermostat, pcm tune, and gears alone will make a stock car a little more fun to drive.

Chris
This project I feel turbo is a must.
Car has long tubes already .
Is a lt4 intake worth doing ?
Old 05-15-2009, 01:29 PM
TECH Senior Member

Originally Posted by Anthony0908
This project I feel turbo is a must.
Car has long tubes already .
Is a lt4 intake worth doing ?
You'll either want to stick with porting your stock intake manifold or going with a single plane intake manifold.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:35 PM
11 Second Club

The LT4 intake is internally the same as some of the LT1 intake. Hell it probably has slightly SMALLER ports than the one on the car now.

It just had more material above the ports to seal to the taller ports in the LT4 heads. That is right, the bean counters stopped the engineers from making an intake that actually matched the LT4 heads.

Long as you brought up the subject, forget the LT4 existed. Really not anything there worthwhile. The valves are very nice but EXPENSIVE if bought seperately.

The heads don't work as well as the bench racers would have you believe.
Old 05-15-2009, 01:47 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
Received 17 Likes on 15 Posts
LS1Tech 10 Year

What is a smooth elbow?
Old 05-15-2009, 02:02 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by BTC
What is a smooth elbow?
Is this a joke?
Hmm I dunno what is a smooth elbow BTC?
Originally Posted by 96capricemgr
The LT4 intake is internally the same as some of the LT1 intake. Hell it probably has slightly SMALLER ports than the one on the car now.

It just had more material above the ports to seal to the taller ports in the LT4 heads. That is right, the bean counters stopped the engineers from making an intake that actually matched the LT4 heads.

Long as you brought up the subject, forget the LT4 existed. Really not anything there worthwhile. The valves are very nice but EXPENSIVE if bought seperately.

The heads don't work as well as the bench racers would have you believe.
Thanks thats something ive been wondering?

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You'll either want to stick with porting your stock intake manifold or going with a single plane intake manifold.
Can you show me an exaple so i know what i may need to look for?

Can the ram air hood from a 98 T/A fit a 95 Camaro?

BTW thank you every one for being so kind and dropping this wealth of knowledge on my plate.
Old 05-15-2009, 02:13 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY, Dalton GA, Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA
LS1Tech 10 Year

Is this a joke?
If you're asking me whether my question is a joke, then no. The stock elbow has the silencer. Does that make it "not smooth".
Old 05-15-2009, 02:24 PM
TECH Senior Member

Is this a joke?

Can you show me an exaple so i know what i may need to look for?

Can the ram air hood from a 98 T/A fit a 95 Camaro?

BTW thank you every one for being so kind and dropping this wealth of knowledge on my plate.
Single plane intake like this:

I don't think so. But they do make a aftermarket Camaro hood with TA ram air hood scoops. It also looks absolutely hideous on a Camaro...
Old 05-15-2009, 02:35 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by BTC
If you're asking me whether my question is a joke, then no. The stock elbow has the silencer. Does that make it "not smooth".
the silencer was put in to decrease the intake noise. GM did this to keep older buyers happy. if you want to fix it, buy a bottle of VO5 Shampoo. Take the silencer off, cut the bottle in half and force it in so that it sits flush. For less than a buck you now have a 1LE Elbow
Old 05-15-2009, 02:37 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

and just port your intake. all you need is a dremel
Old 05-15-2009, 02:53 PM
BTC
TECH Fanatic

LS1Tech 10 Year

I have a 1LE elbow on my car. I was just curious what was meant by a smooth elbow. Personally, I can't see the silencer being a huge detriment to performance.
Old 05-15-2009, 03:03 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Welcome!
Old 05-15-2009, 03:19 PM
On The Tree

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Single plane intake like this:

I don't think so. But they do make a aftermarket Camaro hood with TA ram air hood scoops. It also looks absolutely hideous on a Camaro...
Thats **** , but over kill 4 me lol..
Thanks though when I do build my motor that will be nice to put with the setup.