LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Car is wrecked! Lucky to be alive!

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009 | 11:13 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by tektrans
Glad you're ok man. Too bad about the car.
Ya know you go to places, any place and they tell you where to sit, where to stand, where to go what to do, what not to do, I gotta say if I were you I'd be MUCH more pissed at the track officials and the track management.
The driver might be some hillbilly f*ck but maybe he really thought he was supposed to go (because he really doesn't know and obviously received ZERO intruction) and to HIS shock you turn off in front of him.
I know at Etown whenever a driver is on a bye run an offical PHYSICALLY STANDS IN FRONT of the vehicle that has to wait for the next stage. If your track had that practice in place this wouldn't have happened to you.
If I were him (and I am most certainly NOT) I probably wouldn't offer to pay either considering he probably really had no idea he was doing anything wrong and this was very preventable if the track did what it should have. JMHO.

-Mark
...or at least running over the track official would have slowed him down long enough to keep him from hitting the car at the end of the track that was turning in front of him.
Based on what you brought up, it is possible that the track could be found a bit more liable for what happened.

This should not happen to anyone. Sorry it happend to Tony.
Old 05-17-2009 | 11:18 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Hey:
I am glad you are ok, sorry to see your car is trashed, but by any chance did you contact the local police and get an accident report, possibly a hit and run report, as I am not familiar with Texas law but in most places any incident that happens with a licensed motor vehicle and any other property, vehicle, or person must be reported to the police and insurance companies. If you did you may be able to collect from his insurance, as well as sue him for what they may not pay for as well, as fault and negligence would be already determined against him. A traffic citation may not be able to be issued, but as he hit you, failure to yeild or wreckless driving maybe can be issued if in the pit road area, its legally a private area, but the rules of the road still apply, like a hit and run in a parking lot. Just a thought

When In Doubt Do Without
Dub
Old 05-18-2009 | 04:09 AM
TECH Fanatic

Ya know you go to places, any place and they tell you where to sit, where to stand, where to go what to do, what not to do, I gotta say if I were you I'd be MUCH more pissed at the track officials and the track management.
The driver might be some hillbilly f*ck but maybe he really thought he was supposed to go (because he really doesn't know and obviously received ZERO intruction) and to HIS shock you turn off in front of him.
I know at Etown whenever a driver is on a bye run an offical PHYSICALLY STANDS IN FRONT of the vehicle that has to wait for the next stage. If your track had that practice in place this wouldn't have happened to you.
If I were him (and I am most certainly NOT) I probably wouldn't offer to pay either considering he probably really had no idea he was doing anything wrong and this was very preventable if the track did what it should have. JMHO.

-Mark
I dont really agree with the part about not paying but youve got a damn good point. An official in front of his truck wouldve avoided the whole situation. The track wont help with repairs but prob a good suggestion, maybe a change in procedure is in order.

On the other hand you dont need any instruction to go to the DPS office and take a driving test and that happens on a public roadway. It is his fault for not taking the time to educate himself on how it works. First time i went to a track i took like two hours to familiarize myself with it all, and that was cuz i didnt wanna look like an idiot. Ultimately it appears to me track/moron combo let to a near fatality, guess we need to look out for dumbshits even when we shouldn't have to.
Old 05-18-2009 | 06:41 AM
9 Second Club

Originally Posted by 1993 z28 f1
Hey:
I am glad you are ok, sorry to see your car is trashed, but by any chance did you contact the local police and get an accident report, possibly a hit and run report, as I am not familiar with Texas law but in most places any incident that happens with a licensed motor vehicle and any other property, vehicle, or person must be reported to the police and insurance companies. If you did you may be able to collect from his insurance, as well as sue him for what they may not pay for as well, as fault and negligence would be already determined against him. A traffic citation may not be able to be issued, but as he hit you, failure to yeild or wreckless driving maybe can be issued if in the pit road area, its legally a private area, but the rules of the road still apply, like a hit and run in a parking lot. Just a thought

When In Doubt Do Without
Dub

I'm bet any insurance contract will state that any damage/injury that occurs on a racetrack, or even racing on public streets will not be covered, no way he'll be able to collect from his insurance company. Only chance is going after him personally but I don't know what good that's gonna do, all he has to say is he thought he was supposed to go and he will point to the track as being at fault.
I's bet Tony would have a better case against the track for the unsafe operating procedures than against the driver.
Old 05-18-2009 | 08:35 AM
TECH Addict

Send me his name and address, When I get ahold of him, All I will say is Remember Deliverance?? Well the shoe is on the other foot fool...
Old 05-18-2009 | 10:04 AM
10 Second Club

-Mark
Yeah, the problem is that the truck driver left from the burnout box where he was told to stay. Plus, I can't imagine any official who would stand in front of a vehicle staged or in the burnout box. Anything could happen, stuck accelerator, etc and he would be done. Also, you can't just step out in front of an 8,000 lb truck when it takes off.

Maybe the track officials could have done better but I have never seen anyone start a run from the burnout box. The guy driving the truck had his head up his ***, saw Tony's car leave and decided to leave too. It was his fault plain and simple. He knew it and is why he fled the track and offered no help or apologies.
Old 05-18-2009 | 11:24 AM
TECH Fanatic

I'm very sorry Tony, it's hard to look at all of that hard work I'm sure. Knowing you, it'll look beter than ever. Gald to hear that you're o.k. Bro.!
Old 05-18-2009 | 11:26 AM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Hopefully you get it worked out.. glad you walked away without injury, it could have been alot worse.
Old 05-18-2009 | 11:33 AM
Teching In

PM me the details of the truck. I'm in the diesel community and these types of people make us look real bad.

A little group of us were planning on going up to SA, from Laredo soon. If you let me know a few details on teh truck, approximate year, auto/standard/reg cab, color, lifted, etc, I might spot him on one of the boards.

Merrick
Old 05-18-2009 | 12:06 PM
Banned

sorry, but no fender for you Tony.
Old 05-18-2009 | 12:36 PM
11 Second Club
15 Year Member

Here's my question..just thought of it.

Regardless of if it happened on the Track.. Wouldn't this be considered a hit 'n run in a way?

I can understand the track being private property and having a form to exclude them from liability, but does that also exclude the fact to make a police report?

The reason I ask is if you think about it, I could go to the Track, ram someone's car on the track, and leave just like that **** head did and have no consequence if I don't feel like paying for it.

You may have room to play with that one Tony since you were slowing down in the slow down zone and not racing.

Then again if you went to the Cops they may say that you are liable for not looking in your mirror or behind you eventhough the guy broke the rules and was being unsafe.

Hell that guy could get contributing to an accident in that sense since he wasn't following the track rules.

Just a thought..
Old 05-18-2009 | 12:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

I'd put pressure on the Driver and the track.

Like most have said, you're lucky.

It's actually a good thing that you didn't beat the hell out of the guy, it will look better in court that you didn't act harshly (even if you were stopped) and you are only trying to get what you are out.
Old 05-18-2009 | 12:44 PM
Teching In

wow, glad to see that you're okay!!
Old 05-18-2009 | 03:48 PM
12 Second Club

you're a stronger man then i am. i would've blacked out and beat his face in.

hopefully you can get your car up and running quick man that's a great looking car you've got there.
Old 05-18-2009 | 05:32 PM
TECH Regular

Fortunately your guardian angel was looking out for you. Hopefully the damage is minimal and you can get your car up and running again soon!
Old 05-18-2009 | 05:37 PM
LS1Tech Sponsor

I will have all the parts at the shop tomorrow. Give me a call Tony.

225-343-9029
Old 05-18-2009 | 05:41 PM
10 Second Club

What a dumb ****!!!! Wow!! I did think the car was going to be worse though! At least you are OK.
Old 05-19-2009 | 09:35 PM
On The Tree

Tony, dude...sorry about this bs misfortune...Hope you get her fixed up fast and back on the track. The track needs to be heald responsible for not staging him and holding him up with a hand motion. If he broke the tracks rules is about the only way he could be held responsible for the situation and your best bet for a suit.
Old 05-19-2009 | 10:02 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Tireburnin
You lucked out. It could have been way worse.

That damage is an easy fix, and only the paint/hood will really cost anything. Fenders/front bumper are cheap and easy.
A damage like that aint as cheap as you think. The parts can be found everywhere, the problem is the damage behind those parts, and also getting a good shop to make sure everything is aligned and perfect.
Old 05-19-2009 | 11:11 PM
Launching!

Well I hope you're feeling a little better now, and hopefully you can get the car back where it needs to be for the shootout, I'm sure you'll work something out, and for the truck driver I think he needs to be banned from the track and at the very least pay for the damage, good luck with everything and keep up the good work. LT1'S

Quick Reply: Car is wrecked! Lucky to be alive!