LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LPP passager side header install

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-2009, 10:32 AM
TECH Resident

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Angry LPP passager side header install

Man o man i am have a hard time putting the ps header on let me tell you what i have tried so far. took the motor mount bolt out and jacked up motor did not work and grind k member a little did not work cant get the header of the hump in the back where the floor pan is....please help with advice
Old 05-17-2009, 10:39 AM
TECH Regular

I actually had more trouble getting the driver's side into place than the pass. side...had ot grind more, etc. too to get it in there on the driver's side. The pass. side had to be ground a bit on the k-member, but not much. If I remember right, you may have to dent in the floor pan of the car some to get it in/to clear depending on your car. I think I pushed my pan in a bit...maybe a golf ball size "dent" in about 1/4"-1/2" where it is hitting. And that is just to get it in...I don't think it hit after it gets in there and gets bolted into place or anything.

I checked my photobucket and I don't have any good angles/pics to post or I would. Basically, it takes some maneuvering and cursing/swearing to shoe horn them in there. But they will go.

forgot to ask, did you remove the starter? Alternator? sometimes the alternator gets in the way for some people and has to be removed. The starter almost definitely needs to come out as I don't think anyone has gotten them in there without pulling the starter out of the way.
Old 05-17-2009, 10:42 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

check the long lpp thread. i think on page 40ish there are some picks of the frame rail you can dent a bit with a bfh.
Old 05-17-2009, 11:25 AM
TECH Resident

yea the car is stripped because i had my heads redone but put them back on already.. well look for the pan thing right now and thanks for your help
Old 05-17-2009, 11:53 AM
TECH Resident

going to try it right now wish me good luck and not 5 dollars worth of gas to burn it to the ground lol
Old 05-17-2009, 02:41 PM
TECH Resident

did not work im going to have to take some pics to let you know the part im talking about.. and lifting the motor seems to make this worse IMO so im lost!!!!!
Old 05-17-2009, 05:16 PM
TECH Regular

Try lowering it...on the driver's side to get the pass. side higher? Pics would definitely help. Some of us have had issues with getting them in there, but they always seem to get them in. Post a pic ASAP and we can hopefully get this resolved for you quickly.
Old 05-17-2009, 09:27 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I did NOT have to remove the mount or jack the motor to install the right side LPP header. I did have to remove the oil dipstick tube and the starter though.

Yes I had to dent the sheet metal and grind the k-member some but even those mods will NOT prevent the header for slipping up in there to bolt on.

You have to hold your mouth right if you know what I mean, it takes some patience and a bit of luck but it should slip up in there from the bottom.

Last edited by wrd1972; 05-18-2009 at 10:46 AM.
Old 05-18-2009, 04:54 AM
TECH Resident

Ill take pics today and will post
Old 05-18-2009, 08:48 AM
Launching!

i had to remove starter, alt, dipstick tube, put a dent in my floorboard and jack the car way up in the air so the header could sit straight up and down under the car and then it slid in, it was a big pain in the dick. Almost as bad as the drivers side, but not quite.
Old 05-18-2009, 10:07 AM
On The Tree

try picking the car up in the air and set it on jack stands... then put a jack under the k-member and drop the subframe bolts and sway bar bolts and lower it some but be careful as you do this and not let the steering shaft drop out or rip the powering steering lines n A/C lines.. keep an eye on all ya wires and hoses... that should give about 2 inches celarence maybe 3 if you work it right....

Good Luck...
Old 05-22-2009, 01:08 PM
TECH Resident

Wow had to take motor mount bracket out and header went right in.. all i have to do know is take oil cooler off and get hose and im done with the hard part...did not need to light it on fire after all

Quick Reply: LPP passager side header install