LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

I think I got screwed.

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2009, 08:53 AM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My suggestions would be take the valve cover off dr side easy 5 to 10 min job this will let you see if it has aftermarket rockers and valvesprings. You can move to taking a header off to see if the exhaust port looks like it has been ported. Also for the tb if you cant get a part number off of it to look up take it off and look at the port on the intake to see if it has been ported if it dosnt then its a 52mm i would think. As for pulling the head I think it would be pointless I would think that would just let you know it has over sized pistons right? If you pulled the oil pan that would show if its a stroker! Let him hook up his tuner to it if it has the right harness and go from there!
Old 05-30-2009, 10:28 AM
TECH Fanatic

Agreed
Originally Posted by kierstyn
My suggestions would be take the valve cover off dr side easy 5 to 10 min job this will let you see if it has aftermarket rockers and valvesprings. You can move to taking a header off to see if the exhaust port looks like it has been ported. Also for the tb if you cant get a part number off of it to look up take it off and look at the port on the intake to see if it has been ported if it dosnt then its a 52mm i would think. As for pulling the head I think it would be pointless I would think that would just let you know it has over sized pistons right? If you pulled the oil pan that would show if its a stroker! Let him hook up his tuner to it if it has the right harness and go from there!
Old 05-30-2009, 12:28 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Turnin20s
But the 95s used an obdII port with a obdI computer and he has a 94 which used the obdI port

But you might have an early model 95 and it might have the obdI port???
yeah I have a 95 and it is an OBDI with the OBDII port.
Old 05-30-2009, 11:34 PM
11 Second Club

i can def hear a slight knock. but it could be cold start, lifter/piston/rocker/forged internal sounds. doesn't sound like you have a problem anywhere though, except that tach....... it's gotta go!
Old 05-31-2009, 02:17 AM
Staging Lane

Engine was at running temp. Agree with the tach, not sure why anyone would put it there...
Old 05-31-2009, 06:39 AM
TECH Regular

Does not sound like it has much if any cam to me. Then again my car had stock exhaust when the engine was stock.

Nitrous brackets, tach, red oil pan. I am surprised there is not time slips in the glove box.
Old 05-31-2009, 07:34 AM
TECH Junkie

I think you got a good deal, IMO.
Post a pic of your OBD port. It is located under the dash, just to the right of the steering wheel. That way Pyro will know if you need an adapter to connect to his Tunercat cable.
Best of luck with the car, enjoy it.
Old 05-31-2009, 02:59 PM
Staging Lane

Let us know whats up after you check it out
Old 06-01-2009, 06:11 PM
Staging Lane

Now I got an itch to get it to the track this friday thanks to pyro, so I have been trying to figure this stuff out on my own. Looks like I have a 58mm tb, cars running pig rich. The backside of the tb and the intake is covered in moist black crap. I know its running rich by the exhaust smell, so I am hoping its that and not cylinder blow by......... anyway. The manifold doesnt look ported, dont know what I didnt measure it while I was there, just right now though of it... damn it. I measured the back of the TB as pictured below. I also found a small hose byhind my intake that wasnt connected to anything, pictured below. Anyone recognize it and knows where it goes?

Mightve put an old image or two in there, sorry if I did. The last two are under the engine, looks like the front cover is leaking oil.
Old 06-01-2009, 06:19 PM
Staging Lane

Raised the front end to get a better idea of where the pinging sound is coming from. I dont think it's the a/c compressor, the clutch was never engaged in the last video nor was it in this one. Took a stethascope, the sound is most noticable when I the rear of the oil pan, or the front left ehaust side of the engine... so that just confused me more than I needed to be. Here's a vid above and below. Sorry about the quality again, best camera I have.

http://img190.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mvi0582.mp4
Old 06-01-2009, 08:49 PM
Staging Lane

Another question, how long does it take to do a compression test on this car?

Easier to pay someone or learn how and do it myself?

To remove the valve cover, its just those 4 center bolts. Look like 1/2in maybe? That and take off the egr pipe so that I can pull the cover off right? Will I be ok to reuse the old gasket for now?
Old 06-01-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Olmost sounds like something in the clutch now? Maybe throw out bearing? Take the serpentine blet off and start it up. That will tell you if its anything belt driven.
Old 06-01-2009, 08:56 PM
Staging Lane

How do you do that? Didnt see a belt tensioner, im thinking I have loosen the alternator bracket or something?
Old 06-01-2009, 09:16 PM
Staging Lane

belt tensioner is next to the compressor, my clutch chatters sounds like a knock just like that.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:18 PM
Staging Lane

and to do a compression test its easy when u pull the headers.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:23 PM
Staging Lane

Compression will show if I have blow by right, as I dont have a compressor for a leak down test.
Old 06-01-2009, 09:32 PM
Staging Lane

you would need to do a leak down to know for sure if u got bad rings the oil in the cly can give u a false reading with a compression tester gauge.
Old 06-01-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Addict

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by pyro719
I'll look at your car for free bro. it sounds like ac compressor to me? Id have to hear it in person. And I Happen to have a good one for sale. Your car has 30# injectors in it and oil pans been painted so there is a chance its a 383 but it sounds pretty stock from the vid.
yeah those are def red top svo's and the oil pan has def been removed for one reason or another

car has a weird idle to idle to it almost like the valve adjustment is off or it's not running on all cylinders
Old 06-02-2009, 06:38 PM
Teching In

If your real worried about whether or not its a 383 I have a suggestion...call around to the local circle track to see if any of them has a "pump". A "pump" is a simple device that can tell CID. They throw alot of rules at us and use it to find the Hog motors.

But hey when you get it running right she just might come to life! I vote to keep her and drive the snot out of it!
Old 06-02-2009, 08:33 PM
Staging Lane

So any input on my open hose there? Dont feel a vacuum coming out of it, but its got to go somewhere...

The motor doesnt feel like its missing or anything if thats whats you mean by cylinders. How do I check the valve adjustment? Figure I can do that when I get the cover off the driver side atleast to see where they are at.

Dont know any circle tracks around here, ill have to call around and see what I can find.

Ill be running the engine without the belt and pulling the valve cover tomorrow if the weather does better today.

Quick Reply: I think I got screwed.