LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

dropping an LT1 - have a question

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-2009, 09:40 AM
12 Second Club

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default dropping an LT1 - have a question

I was going by this writeup http://www.michiganspeed.com/enginepull/index.html

It doesn't mention what to do about the A/C.

Is there a way to swing the compressor out of the way or do I have to get all the refrigerant out of the system and drop the compressor with the engine?

Also it doesn't mention the steering shaft. Im assuming I can just mark it and unbolt it.

Any input would be great. Ive searched and it seems like people always forget to mention the A/C.
Old 05-28-2009, 09:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

i just did mine but we took the ac out took the compressor out then the lines
Old 05-28-2009, 09:47 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hav eyou already started pullin it completely apart? cuz i garauntee i could convince you to pull it through the top. i know this will start alot of ****. but IMHO after 4 Fourth Gens and alot of motor swaps with that car. through the top. PLEASE DONT START A DEBATE ABOUT WHICH IS EASIER PEOPLE, ITS JUST MY OPINION. if you wanna know more lemme know. if not you can unbolt it from the motor and it should pull out. it might be a pain. but just to make thing easier i would bleed the system out and do it right. with the steering shaft. when i did the first swap i did it from the bottom and thats all i did was mark the shaft and pull it. itll also give you a chance to wire brush it from the rust and clean it up that away if you have to pull it apart again it wont be such a pain in the ***. welp i hope i was some kind of help
Old 05-28-2009, 12:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
hav eyou already started pullin it completely apart? cuz i garauntee i could convince you to pull it through the top. i know this will start alot of ****. but IMHO after 4 Fourth Gens and alot of motor swaps with that car. through the top. PLEASE DONT START A DEBATE ABOUT WHICH IS EASIER PEOPLE, ITS JUST MY OPINION. if you wanna know more lemme know. if not you can unbolt it from the motor and it should pull out. it might be a pain. but just to make thing easier i would bleed the system out and do it right. with the steering shaft. when i did the first swap i did it from the bottom and thats all i did was mark the shaft and pull it. itll also give you a chance to wire brush it from the rust and clean it up that away if you have to pull it apart again it wont be such a pain in the ***. welp i hope i was some kind of help
Out the top...

Out the bottom is the ONLY way I would ever drop a 4th gen motor...

OP. You don't have to release the refrigerant. You just have to unbolt the AC compressor from the engine and move it out of the way when you start to lift the body. You can zip tie it up to something. As for the steering shaft, make the steering wheel straight and be sure that the tires are straight. Then you can unbolt the steering knuckle. As long as you don't move the steering wheel, you can only put the knuckle back on one way.
Old 05-28-2009, 12:43 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Out the top...

Out the bottom is the ONLY way I would ever drop a 4th gen motor...

OP. You don't have to release the refrigerant. You just have to unbolt the AC compressor from the engine and move it out of the way when you start to lift the body. You can zip tie it up to something. As for the steering shaft, make the steering wheel straight and be sure that the tires are straight. Then you can unbolt the steering knuckle. As long as you don't move the steering wheel, you can only put the knuckle back on one way.

So what is this the 3rd of 4th thread this has started up in?? LMFAO!!!! **** out the bottom. what are you gonna do leave your car up on stands? out the top you can still push the car around. i did mine in 3 hours the other day out the top. by myself. haha
Old 05-28-2009, 12:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

So what is this the 3rd of 4th thread this has started up in?? LMFAO!!!! **** out the bottom. what are you gonna do leave your car up on stands? out the top you can still push the car around. i did mine in 3 hours the other day out the top. by myself. haha
i dropped it out the bottom for the trans and front suspension to come out with it now today im goin to put the new kmember and a-arms on and the steering rack so i can roll it around. it was so easy to drop it out if i knew wat i was doin it woulda took 2hrs to have the motor trans and front suspension out. but everyone has there preferences
Old 05-28-2009, 01:04 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea if i had to pull it and do other suspn work yea i would drop but like you said its all in preferences. me and ss.slp have gotten into it every single time someone asks lol. so its like a pissing match. buts its fun none the less
Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Yes. I leave the body on stands and I roll the engine out on a dolly. Never had to move the car once I pulled out the engine.

Out the bottom ftmfw!
Old 05-28-2009, 01:19 PM
12 Second Club

thanks for the replies! definitely helped out
Old 05-28-2009, 01:21 PM
TECH Fanatic

wats funny is you 2 just did this same arguement in my post yesterday wen i asked how to keep the body up lol
Old 05-28-2009, 01:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

lmao sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. its all in good nature. but ive never been in a situation where my car was up then down. like my motor is normally out for atleast 3-5 weeks. cause i figure if im gonna have to do anything i redo EVERYTHING. or get pissed cuase the LT1 blows and i just build a mild 383 lol so my car being moveable its a MAJOR plus!
Old 05-28-2009, 01:30 PM
TECH Senior Member

lmao sweeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeet. its all in good nature. but ive never been in a situation where my car was up then down. like my motor is normally out for atleast 3-5 weeks. cause i figure if im gonna have to do anything i redo EVERYTHING. or get pissed cuase the LT1 blows and i just build a mild 383 lol so my car being moveable its a MAJOR plus!
What I do is build a new engine on a stand in the garage and have EVERYTHING ready to go in before I ever drop anything out. Then I just have the car up and down in a day. That way (if I can prevent it) I don't have a car down for 3-5 weeks.
Old 05-28-2009, 01:39 PM
TECH Fanatic

must be nice. ive never had two good blocks laying around. lol. it alwasy sucked cause it was my daily driver so i was rushing to get her back together. ehhh i went about buiding my car the wrong way. luckily im only 20 so i still have MANYYYYYYY more cars build to go
Old 05-28-2009, 01:55 PM
TECH Regular

I pulled my engine out through the top with all accessories(no A/C) and manifolds. It was tight but I got it done by my lonesome. Would be easier with help from friends! The happy hooker is a nice tool to have but its not necessary.

personally I will never drop mine out the bottom. I like to be able to move my car if necessary.
Old 05-28-2009, 03:19 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

You guys that haven't taken the engine out the bottom don't know what you're missing.

As for the argument about moving the car around, I made jackstands with wheels. Simple ingenuity. But like ss.slp.ls1 mentioned, I had everything ready to go when I dropped the motor and reinstalled the new one.
Old 05-28-2009, 04:34 PM
TECH Regular

heyy im 16 and i pulled it out of the top so...

out the top i did pull the Ac compressor plus the powersteering pump. I took the whole plate off ha. i left the water pump on though
Old 05-28-2009, 04:47 PM
TECH Fanatic

yea when you go throuhg the top you pull the intake off oil filter starter and all your front acc. so yea. lol but the guy asked about the a/c comp. not how to pull it lmao.
Old 05-28-2009, 05:06 PM
TECH Senior Member

yea when you go throuhg the top you pull the intake off oil filter starter and all your front acc. so yea. lol but the guy asked about the a/c comp. not how to pull it lmao.
So much easier than out the bottom...when you go out the bottom you have to take off......wait, you don't have to take off anything...so out the bottom is easier, duh!

Quick Reply: dropping an LT1 - have a question