LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

cooling fans not coming on

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2009, 09:36 PM
On The Tree

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default cooling fans not coming on

ok so i flushed my radiator today and the temp got up to a little passed 210 and the fans didnt come on. i have never owned an lt1 before so idk when the fans kick on but my 3.4 always kicked on at 210. also how do u bleed an lt1 system? this is what i did. undid the bleeder screws then filed it up until water flowed out in a steady stream closed the screws ( water would only come out the screw on the stat housing.) put the cap back on ran the car then opend the screw on the stat it flowed great. opened the other one nothing let it run for about five mins and then the stream came out. closed check the stat screw again it was fine. check the other one nothing again. left it opended for about 30mins and no flow. and car was running at 210 just idling still no fans. turned the car off let it cool check the coolant and it was full what am i doing wrong?
Old 06-02-2009, 10:17 PM
TECH Veteran

Received 50 Likes on 44 Posts

Stock fans don't come on until 226°.

http://shbox.com/1/4th_gen_tech2.html#cooling
Old 06-06-2009, 10:18 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks Shoebox I just started having this problem with mine so I'll check the fuses and relays tomorrow.
Old 06-06-2009, 10:40 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Another thing that can cause this issue (or at least appear to...) is having air in the cooling system. I believe it creates a pocket of different temperatures where the gauge reads a higher temperature than the sensor that controls the fans. This exact scenario happened to a friend's car the other day - coolant had been emptied and re-added during a waterpump swap and after the first start up, car got hot (beyond what the tune in the PCM is set for) and no fans - opened the bleeders and let out some air, and the fans immediately came on like they were supposed to.