LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Rocker arm weights Scorpion vs Comp. Come inside

Search this Thread

Old 06-09-2009, 04:21 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Rocker arm weights Scorpion vs Comp. Come inside

I was going to use the new comp Ultra Pro Mag rockers on my cam swap but I've started looking at scorpion and they look pretty appealing too..

Both offer a lifetime warranty and both have a new line of rocker that is lighter than its predecessor while retaining the same claimed strength.

Soo... I am looking for the actual weights of any of the following rocker arms.

1.6 SBC 3/8 or 7/16 stud NSA
Comp Pro Mag
Comp Ultra Pro Mag
Scorpion Race Series
Scorpion Platinum Series

The ultra pro mags claim to be "26%" lighter than the normal pro mags.
The Platinum series scorpions claim to be "20g" lighter than the Race Series.

The Comp rockers are chromoly whereas the Scorpion's are aluminum.

Basically I dont want a rocker that's heavy over the nose, even if the respective total weights are the same. By looking at the design of each it looks as if the ultra pro mags may still win out, since they have such small mass near the tip, and the un-needed material due to x-bracing has been removed.

The price difference makes the scorpions very attractive if performance is going to be similar. Again they are both lifetime warrantied.

Discuss...

Comp Cams Ultra Pro Mag Rocker Arm

Scorpion Platinum Series Rocker Arm
Old 06-09-2009, 04:50 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Honestly, weight over the nose is not nearly as important as the quality of the entire rocker. You should buy a rocker for the quality of the roller fulcrum and overall construction as opposed to the weight over the nose. And even if one rocker had less weight on the roller tip, I cannot imagine the HP/valvetrain effects to be even measurable, especially at your power level.

Like I said, there are more important things to be concerned with.
Old 06-09-2009, 06:33 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by RamAir95TA
Honestly, weight over the nose is not nearly as important as the quality of the entire rocker. You should buy a rocker for the quality of the roller fulcrum and overall construction as opposed to the weight over the nose. And even if one rocker had less weight on the roller tip, I cannot imagine the HP/valvetrain effects to be even measurable, especially at your power level.

Like I said, there are more important things to be concerned with.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:23 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been running the scorpions for over two years.. never had a problem with them. They get my recommendation
Old 06-09-2009, 11:30 AM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

How do you know the Scorpion is lighter over the nose? They only compare the weight to it's other in the lineup.

Look at the size of the bearings that the rocker itslef pivots on. That's a no-brainer for me. The Comp piece looks 5 times as strong. The Comp's bearings look to be about 2/3's of an inch wide, while the Scorpions look like a No2 pencil width.
Old 06-09-2009, 11:42 AM
TECH Junkie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by joelster
How do you know the Scorpion is lighter over the nose? They only compare the weight to it's other in the lineup.

Look at the size of the bearings that the rocker itslef pivots on. That's a no-brainer for me. The Comp piece looks 5 times as strong. The Comp's bearings look to be about 2/3's of an inch wide, while the Scorpions look like a No2 pencil width.
Actually they are about the same. Those pictures cannot justify anything. The comp pic is zoomed in and has a way higher resolution while the scorpion pic looks like it was edited via microsoft paint. I can tell you that the bearings on the scorpions are way larger than a No.2 pencil lmao

Quick Reply: Rocker arm weights Scorpion vs Comp. Come inside