LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

LOL...Some guy tries to tell his Cam Only Bolt ons LT1 made 414/586 on the rollers!

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2009, 04:46 PM
Staging Lane

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Hmmm lol, I've got one. There is a guy that I work with who has a 5.3l truck. Says it puts 10 second 1/4....I'm like damn that is quick for a truck, or any vehicle for that matter. Then I ask what he did to it? He says a chip that gave him 100hp and h/c. This thing has a flowmaster exhaust, no bolt ons and is raised w/ bigger tires....
I say "o'rly, have you dynod it?"
"Nope"
"huh"

About an hour later...
I am talking about how I am working on my h/c swap along with the new lifters I installed. And he says "I wish I knew how to install lifters." I lol'd and asked him again if he installed his h/c. He says yes, and I proceed with asking the ballpark range of hp he gained.
He says: "I know a guy in sac who dynoed my truck for me. It came out to (some 5xxhp/4xxtq)
I smiled and nod. Then walk away.

btw: The truck does not sound like it has a cam at all and I thought it was diesels that get about a 60hp/tq increase w/chips?
Old 06-10-2009, 05:19 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by camar0corey
I have a feeling that if I bought a highly modded car it would have to be well known and documented on here, or I would make them put out the $30-45 to run it up on a dyno in front of me before I bought it.

For instance, when I bought the_Merv's motor he had a dyno chart to show me and video of his car running at the track, sold!!!! It has performed very nicely for 15k miles already.
I was being sarcastic but forgot to install a smiley. I found a 400 horse 93TA for $2100. I asked for specs and it has an rv cam and milled heads.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:36 PM
Teching In

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

get this my buddy had a 2002 trans am, wrecked it a dozen times, anyway i was telling him about this 6.0 on horsepower tv, they put a cam and fast 92mm intake and throttle body on it and i was telling him that it lost power until they swaped computers and it began to learn and eventually made a lot more power. he was like oh yea the guy at the dealership said that when my car hit 70000 miles the computer would open up and it would run like a scalded dog.lol i was like oh yea yea.lol
Old 06-10-2009, 06:41 PM
Village Troll

Received 518 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by Tireburnin
PS: That LT1 sounds like a 300rw on motor and 150 shot car.
True. Almost all of those who make a sport out of racing on the street are on the hose. Could be extremely cocky or just stupid or a lot of both.
Old 06-10-2009, 06:59 PM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by moehorsepower
Still got you beat, Had a guy that was building a Pontiac 455, He saw an ad where they used a Edelbrock manifold of course with a fully built motor and it made 500 HP. He said man you guys waste your money on cams, headders and stuff and all I need to do is put this manifold on and I will have 500 Horsepower.
put a FAST 90/90 on an LT1 and itll hit 600hp to the U joints!!!
Old 06-10-2009, 07:04 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Revelation Z28
put a FAST 90/90 on an LT1 and itll hit 600hp to the U joints!!!
Would I need new muffler bearings and blinker fluid??? If so, I'll need to get more tools. All I've got is this left-handed screw driver...
Old 06-11-2009, 01:09 AM
TECH Regular

Lmfao
Old 06-11-2009, 01:31 AM
TECH Veteran

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Would I need new muffler bearings and blinker fluid??? If so, I'll need to get more tools. All I've got is this left-handed screw driver...
ill get the backwards hammer
Old 06-11-2009, 01:46 AM
TECH Regular

Lmfao
Old 06-11-2009, 01:50 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

Don't forget the Elbow Grease.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:12 AM
TECH Veteran

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

ive got a better one. my assistant manager told me his G35 makes 340 at the wheels. its an automatic btw. stock it made 280 at the flywheel, with an 18% drivetrain loss you are looking at roughly 230 at the wheels. i told him "so you gained 100 rwhp with a CAI, high flow cats and a catback?" the look on his face was priceless
Old 06-11-2009, 07:10 AM
11 Second Club

Received 63 Likes on 54 Posts

When I hit V-tech it's over.. there's nothing else to say..
Old 06-11-2009, 07:11 AM
TECH Apprentice

Damn I love Kona. In all the times I've been there, I've only seen a few V8 powered cars that I would consider fast. Maybe a handful of LS1 corvettes and f-bodies. Isn't the only real track in the islands on Oahu?

Every time I go to that Old Kona Airport Beach I think that it would be such a nice place to go race (if it was repaved smooth).

PS: That LT1 sounds like a 300rw on motor and 150 shot car.
No Oahu Has no track, Maui has a track and "hawaii" has a track, Kauai has an excuse for a track. There is no track for us, and We cannot take the ferry anymore to maui. The Fbody club i'm in has mostly Heads/cam ls1's and some with h/c/i/n20etc and a couple motor swaps. There are plenty of clowns around here (honolulu population 6 figures) that drive stock lt1's or tbis and hundreds of thousands of ricers.

FML
Old 06-11-2009, 10:44 AM
TECH Fanatic

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RiceEaterZ
No Oahu Has no track, Maui has a track and "hawaii" has a track, Kauai has an excuse for a track. There is no track for us, and We cannot take the ferry anymore to maui. The Fbody club i'm in has mostly Heads/cam ls1's and some with h/c/i/n20etc and a couple motor swaps. There are plenty of clowns around here (honolulu population 6 figures) that drive stock lt1's or tbis and hundreds of thousands of ricers.

FML
I've never spent much time on Oahu, but I'd assume with the military and larger population that there would be some fast cars. Now that you say the track is on Maui, I remember that being the case and must have had the islands confused.

When I was on the big island last year (during the high fuel prices) I saw very few "fast cars." It must be wierd to own a fast car there and be restricted to 45mph speed limit and usually have traffic that prevents any fun. I'll bet outside the main towns you can have some real fun on some of those deserted connecting roads.

How are the police to you guys as locals with the racing/noise etc?
Old 06-11-2009, 11:41 AM
TECH Resident

Here's one....
In a meijer parking lot a kid rolls up in a 2001 4.6 Yellow mustang, I'm getting out of my LT1, he yells out his driver window "hey man that thing sounds really good"
I reply "thanks", he then parks across from me and walks over, asking me what I had done to it, I told him cam, boltons etc... he asks me what It puts down, I told him it wasn't dyno'd, but probably 330, 340 at the wheels on a mail order tune.

HE THEN REPLIES : "Oh really? my mustang puts 370 at the wheels"
Me: wow... what do you have done to it ?
Him : Nothing, its stock but its a GT...

fail.
Old 06-11-2009, 11:43 AM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

ok since were telling dumbass stories ill throw mine in. i worked at advance for about two years. had a kid come in order a CAi for his civic was telling me about a race he had the next night. to a prelude or something stupid. the day after the race he comes back in and buys a chrome fire ext. and a pack of stickers. said he lost by about a car. but the guy had stickers on his back window and a chrome fire ext so he should be able to take him now. and chuckled for a sec and asked if he was serious and why he doesnt just slap a turbo on it. he looked at me and was like young kids and their turbos. and that turbos arent worth how much you pay for them and he will see a much bigger gain from the 15 dollars worth off ****. so i rung him up and watched him go on his way. just on a side note i was 16 at the time and he was 23 so i guess i was the dumb one. lmao
Old 06-11-2009, 11:46 AM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

I've never spent much time on Oahu, but I'd assume with the military and larger population that there would be some fast cars. Now that you say the track is on Maui, I remember that being the case and must have had the islands confused.

When I was on the big island last year (during the high fuel prices) I saw very few "fast cars." It must be wierd to own a fast car there and be restricted to 45mph speed limit and usually have traffic that prevents any fun. I'll bet outside the main towns you can have some real fun on some of those deserted connecting roads.

How are the police to you guys as locals with the racing/noise etc?
Actually the fastest speed limit on the Big Island is 55mph, lol, on the main highway, but only on certain sections. There are many places to get on it, mainly on trips out to Kona or heading in the other direction out to the Volcano.
Cops are out there, but they never showed a huge "presence". All the cop cars on the Big Island were personaly owned vehicles with a little blue light put on the top center of the car, lol. You can't really spot them from a mile away like you can with a crown vic
Old 06-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Launching!

ah yes thats great. cant wait to get my car back from the body shop (door was messed up from some dickless vandalizer) anyway one of my bosses at work just bought an 05 or 04 350z, white, convertible automatic. i keep tryin to get him to run me but he never wants to. so i'm at work early the other day eating an early dinner before i clock in and he comes over and says hey like five times to me while i'm talking to my father on the phone, then i go over to him and say "what?" and he says "are you ready?"

"for what?" "let's go!" "uhhh remember how my car was in the body shop?"

told him the only way he would beat me is if i was on foot haha.

there's also a guy with a cobra mustang at work, he SAYS its a 96 car with a 2001 motor swap NA...but i don't believe him. i think he just put mufflers on it. he told me he has like 400 hp of course. then the other day he was saying how he wanted to get a supercharger and that "then i'll have like 400 hp" he just has some street tires on it, its loud, but sounds like *** maybe needs a tune or smaller exhaust haha. i was trying to talk to him about cars and stuff and was telling him about how great the 350 is because you can put headers on it and get a bunch of hp and i was telling him he should get headers for his stang and he was like uhh long tubes arent that great im gonna get shorties and i just look at him, walk away and shake my head. i told him i could easily get 20 hp with long tubes and he kept saying 'no way man youll only get like 5 or 10" and i just walked away shaking my head again.

he showed me under his hood, it didnt look like a 5.0 so its def. a 4.6. any way to tell otherwise between earlier versions and 2001? early ones had like 300 flywheel hp and the later ones NA had like 320, so almost like running an LS1.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:00 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by 1slo_camaro
ok since were telling dumbass stories ill throw mine in. i worked at advance for about two years. had a kid come in order a CAi for his civic was telling me about a race he had the next night. to a prelude or something stupid. the day after the race he comes back in and buys a chrome fire ext. and a pack of stickers. said he lost by about a car. but the guy had stickers on his back window and a chrome fire ext so he should be able to take him now. and chuckled for a sec and asked if he was serious and why he doesnt just slap a turbo on it. he looked at me and was like young kids and their turbos. and that turbos arent worth how much you pay for them and he will see a much bigger gain from the 15 dollars worth off ****. so i rung him up and watched him go on his way. just on a side note i was 16 at the time and he was 23 so i guess i was the dumb one. lmao
I really hope you made that up.
Old 06-11-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Fanatic

Location: Born/Raised North East, MD Lived in VA, NC, MI Back in Yorktown, Va

not thats the great part. is im dead serious

Quick Reply: LOL...Some guy tries to tell his Cam Only Bolt ons LT1 made 414/586 on the rollers!