LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Machine shop put the wrong cam in...so i need your help

Search this Thread

Old 06-11-2009, 02:51 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Machine shop put the wrong cam in...so i need your help

Well i have a 95 lt1 froma z28. It was recently rebuilt, bored .30 over, heads were freshen'd up with new parts, i have comp cam lifters, stiffer springs, ect. block was all done up and all. Nothing crazy. Well we told them that we wanted to put in a cam that was a step up from stock, so they put in a speedpro #cs1080r cam. I will post the specs later. We the motor sounds like a sewing machine. We called the place wher the lifters cam from, they said they dont know, so we got the comp cam liftesr and it did the same thing. So we called comp cam, and they said to adjust them a little more than usual. Well it still sounds like a sewing machine.

Heres the specs:
Advertised duration int/exh 288/284
Duration @.050 int/exh 210/215
Intake valve lift .462
Exhaust valve lift .470
Lobe seperation 110 degrees
Operating range 1500-5000 RPM

So i took it upon myself to call federal mogul, speedpro is s division of them. And the guy said that that cam is NOT meant for that motor. So now i am extremely pissed that i spent 2k for parts and labor for the rebuild and the "experienced" guy doing it, didnt do his research on the cam. So to make a long story short. I am going to get a new cam, and i will make him pay for it and install it. Well i have takin a look at the cam thread and since i am not a motor head or a engine guru, its hard for me to get wat i want out of it.

Heres wat i can tell you wat i have and want out of the truck. The motor is in my 93s10, it has the t56 tranny in it. Its getting a set of 4.10s and a eaton posi for my 8.5 rear. With the cam swap, i have my custom burnt computer programed in for all my mods that are necessary for it to run at its optimum potienal. So tune for the cam is not a big deal.

The motor like stated is a 95 z28 lt1, bored to .30 over, ported intake, HUGE, lol, CAI w/ K&N filter , sandersond shorty 1-5/8 headers, msd plugs. Exhaust is a magnaflow cat, to a flowmaster 40 muffler, to a y pipe, and dual outlet. Its 2.25 inch piping from teh muffler back. From the muffler to the headers its 2.5 inch.

So with saying all that, i want a cam that will give me over the 330hp (wheel) with my setup i have now, and wont sacrifce my MPGs too much. its not a weekend warrior, but its something i want to be able to run with alot of ppl if need be and not be a waste to put a small cam.

Sorry for the long post, and thanks for the help!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:13 PM
11 Second Club

Pretty sure cc503 could help. but then there is also the lingenfelter cam. i forget specs. someone will chime in. im sure. Maybe the Cadillac Cam from speed inc? Maybe looking into a custom cam. good luck!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:20 PM
Launching!

cc503 ftmfw!!
Old 06-11-2009, 03:37 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

+3 for the CC503. That's what I have in my '97 SS M6.

I would be worried about what that sound was. Hopefully it wasn't your valves hitting your pistons...then you'd have bent valves. Not sure if a leakdown test could test for that.

Did you do your research on the shop you took it to, before you took it there?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:42 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
+3 for the CC503. That's what I have in my '97 SS M6.

I would be worried about what that sound was. Hopefully it wasn't your valves hitting your pistons...then you'd have bent valves. Not sure if a leakdown test could test for that.

Did you do your research on the shop you took it to, before you took it there?
honestly, its not a machine shop, its a guy that worked and retired from one, but has all the tools and such inside his garage. I was refered to him from the guy taht did the swap in my truckand my coworker.

My coworker said that it sounds like the push rods arent long enough for it and the lifters are bottoming out. But since the cam isnt suuppoosed to be in the motor, i want him to replace the cam with his money. Since i took it to him to do, he choose the cam thats in it and its not supposed to be in it, i think it would only be fair for him to pay for the parts and labor.

My question is if i do the 503 cam, wat are my power numbers potentially whith the stuff i have done already to it? And what are you guys mpgs vs. wat u had in it before the 503 cam?
Old 06-11-2009, 03:47 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
honestly, its not a machine shop, its a guy that worked and retired from one, but has all the tools and such inside his garage. I was refered to him from the guy taht did the swap in my truckand my coworker.

My coworker said that it sounds like the push rods arent long enough for it and the lifters are bottoming out. But since the cam isnt suuppoosed to be in the motor, i want him to replace the cam with his money. Since i took it to him to do, he choose the cam thats in it and its not supposed to be in it, i think it would only be fair for him to pay for the parts and labor.

My question is if i do the 503 cam, wat are my power numbers potentially whith the stuff i have done already to it? And what are you guys mpgs vs. wat u had in it before the 503 cam?
You will be leaving power on the table with shorty headers. Don't know what options you have for LT headers for a LT1 in a S10, but I would look into it. You probably have another 15rwhp waiting...
With your mods, a CC503, thru a T56, I would say that you could be at ~320rwhp. Gas mileage will go down, but that's expected when you are trying to make more power. Nothing horrid though. As long as you have a good tune, you will be very happy with that cam. If your heads are untouched, you "should" be ok with a pushrod length of 7.2". One thing you need to note is that the cam that is in the car now is a very small cam. You need to find out what springs you have installed now as they might not be sufficient enough for the CC503. You also need hardened pushrods.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:03 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
You will be leaving power on the table with shorty headers. Don't know what options you have for LT headers for a LT1 in a S10, but I would look into it. You probably have another 15rwhp waiting...
With your mods, a CC503, thru a T56, I would say that you could be at ~320rwhp. Gas mileage will go down, but that's expected when you are trying to make more power. Nothing horrid though. As long as you have a good tune, you will be very happy with that cam. If your heads are untouched, you "should" be ok with a pushrod length of 7.2". One thing you need to note is that the cam that is in the car now is a very small cam. You need to find out what springs you have installed now as they might not be sufficient enough for the CC503. You also need hardened pushrods.
yea longtubes are available, but fitment is a hella lot worse and i have to have one primary go on the outside of the framerails near the tires, and i dont want to go through that truouble. Well as for right now with my 3.42s and barely using 6th gear, i have netted a best 16.5 mpgs so far. So even if i get the 4.10s and that cam would leave mea round 16-17mpgs i would be ok with it.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:11 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How loud is the sewing machine noise? That's pretty much expected after a cam swap.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:27 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

You do realize that particular cam is a step up from stock right? It has a little more duration a little more lift, and it's tighter on the LSA. Sounds to me like he put in exactly what you asked for. That cam will probably make 15hp more than a stocker would.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:31 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I thought you could run a hydraulic roller cam for a late model sbc in an lt1, and it just has a fuel pump lobe you dont use???

You may just hear valvetrain noise with the roller rockers and larger cam.
Old 06-11-2009, 04:52 PM
12 Second Club

Maybe an exhaust tick/leak?
Old 06-11-2009, 07:43 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joelster
You do realize that particular cam is a step up from stock right? It has a little more duration a little more lift, and it's tighter on the LSA. Sounds to me like he put in exactly what you asked for. That cam will probably make 15hp more than a stocker would.
i do realize its bigger. I did ask for a cam that was meant for that motor. If i called up the place that sells it and they said it themselves that its not for that motor, i will go off of that.

And it is extremely loud. And i do not have any exhaust leaks at all...double and triple checked them and retightend all the collector/header bolts too.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:15 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Well today apparently i found out that the cam in it now isnt a ''performance'' cam but a cam for the lt4 vette cam? So if this is true, i am not going to spend the money to replace it since the mahcine shop said that they will not and they stand by their work. So We are going to replace the push rods and see if thats it. Everything that my coworker has said to do has worked so i am going to do that.

So with saying that and what i have listed that i have done to the truck, what is left needed to get me a 12.99999999 or lower? The truck i would say is like 3200lbs.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:38 PM
TECH Regular

Just the LT4 vette cam, or the LT4 hot cam?

I'm like 5 mins from middletown if you need help trouble shooting the noise, I know a little bit about the LT motors
Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by My95Z
Just the LT4 vette cam, or the LT4 hot cam?

I'm like 5 mins from middletown if you need help trouble shooting the noise, I know a little bit about the LT motors
apparently the lt4 vette cam, but i dont know the specs for that cam to be 100% sure. All i know its a stock cam for something b/c its not actually a performance cam.

And yes, actually i do need alot of help....u available sometime tomorrow...lol where in MD are you located to be that close?
Old 06-14-2009, 09:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

I'm guessing it's a LT4 Hot Cam, which is much like the stock LT4 Vette cam, which is considered a "performance upgrade". I'm pretty sure he put the exact cam you asked for. You have to be careful who you talk to when you call companies - they will swear and swear a part will work, when really there is no chance in hell it will and vice versa. You left you're builder alot of room by just saying "a step above stock", if you want him to replace it chances are it's coming out of your pocket.

The sewing machine noise is normal.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:08 PM
On The Tree

Good Luck man. Did you use aftermarket rr's? Some rr's are simply just noisy as hell.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:09 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Counted Out
I'm guessing it's a LT4 Hot Cam, which is much like the stock LT4 Vette cam, which is considered a "performance upgrade". I'm pretty sure he put the exact cam you asked for. You have to be careful who you talk to when you call companies - they will swear and swear a part will work, when really there is no chance in hell it will and vice versa. You left you're builder alot of room by just saying "a step above stock", if you want him to replace it chances are it's coming out of your pocket.

The sewing machine noise is normal.

its definatly not the lt4 hot cam this is the specs of the cam i have
Intake valve lift .462
Exhaust valve lift .470

And i'm no engine builder or anthing remotely like that, but ive never heard any motor with a cam upgrade sound anything like this and it sux. I wish i never put it in. First of all it has no lope to it so it doesnt sound like a upgrade worth wild, and it sounds like crap...so it just sux.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:14 PM
TECH Regular

Originally Posted by llorracs93s10
its definatly not the lt4 hot cam this is the specs of the cam i have
Intake valve lift .462
Exhaust valve lift .470
Thats not even close to anything GM ever made for any LT4 and that cam should lope pretty decent even with that little duration its still on a 110 LSA.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:16 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TRANSAM GT4
Good Luck man. Did you use aftermarket rr's? Some rr's are simply just noisy as hell.
honestly, i dont really know. I didnt get all the parts info and numbers but i know it has the comp cam liftesr b/c we replaced the orig. lifters we had in it thinking they were the problem.

Quick Reply: Machine shop put the wrong cam in...so i need your help