LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

Machine shop put the wrong cam in...so i need your help

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2009, 01:49 PM
TECH Enthusiast

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ss.slp.ls1
Slap him him in the face and say "Respect my authoritaaa!"

And then tell him to install a CC503 with supporting valve train...
ha, well hes taking a decent sized hit on the money i am giving him to do this so i cant hit him too hard. I doubt he will do that just b/c for one thing, i dont have the money to pay him+ the parts, and two , that cam is pretty decent sized and he will probaly say u dont need it for ur application.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:34 PM
Staging Lane

Originally Posted by IronOutlaw
I thought you could run a hydraulic roller cam for a late model sbc in an lt1, and it just has a fuel pump lobe you dont use???

You may just hear valvetrain noise with the roller rockers and larger cam.
thats what i thought too... i know a friend put a lt1 cam in his sbc 350 and it runs good..

on another note... i have a cc502 cam in my car, auto w/ no stall.. runs fine no issues... idles low in drive stopped but for obvious reasons...

i have had a few camshafts in my lt1s ... first was a cc306 w/ stock heads.. it was fun and loud once it got upto 4000 rpms or so... second was xfi 292 on a built 355 w/ ported heads which was silly....... switched back to cc306 on the built motor which was a good time ..

but by far my favorite to drive around daily is my stock as a clock motor (stock heads, intake, fuel,) just upgraded springs and my cc502.. jmo though.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:42 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by kenscivic
thats what i thought too... i know a friend put a lt1 cam in his sbc 350 and it runs good..

on another note... i have a cc502 cam in my car, auto w/ no stall.. runs fine no issues... idles low in drive stopped but for obvious reasons...

i have had a few camshafts in my lt1s ... first was a cc306 w/ stock heads.. it was fun and loud once it got upto 4000 rpms or so... second was xfi 292 on a built 355 w/ ported heads which was silly....... switched back to cc306 on the built motor which was a good time ..

but by far my favorite to drive around daily is my stock as a clock motor (stock heads, intake, fuel,) just upgraded springs and my cc502.. jmo though.

You can put ANY sbc roller cam into an LT1 if you ditch the opti. A '93-'94 needs the specific camshaft core that has the splined center for the opti drive in it. A '95-'97 vented opti needs a longer dowel pin to drive the opti. You could put a longer dowel pin in a standard sbc roller cam core and use it in an LT1 with a vented opti, but for the '93-'94 LT1's there is no way to install an sbc cam unless you go to a rear distributor.
Old 06-16-2009, 04:58 PM
TECH Enthusiast

the one i was looking at is i believe the cc501 cam. I have to wait til my roomate comes home to use his computer b/c he has speakers to hear the lope or lack there of with that cam in a lt1. Another reason i am trying to not have to spend alot and replace all parts is bcause i am doing the rear too. The gears from 3.42 - 4.10s and installing a eaton posi. So thats gonna cost me a little.

But hell, with the cc501 cam +4.10s/posi, this thing should be a monster off the line vs. my open dif/3.42s and a 210/215 cam right?
Old 06-16-2009, 05:45 PM
Launching!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by joelster
but for the '93-'94 LT1's there is no way to install an sbc cam unless you go to a rear distributor.
That is not true. I have a 93 and use a ZZ4 camshaft which was not designed for the LT1. The splined shaft is run by the cam sprocket so nothing goes into the snout of the cam. There is a small hole that is machined in the front of the ZZ4 cam that lets the shaft clear if it sticks out past the rear of the sprocket. Other SBC cams I have seen have this as well meaning they will work with 93-94 cars but not 95 and later. The thing us early optispark guys run into is that we are stuck using stock timing chain gear and cannot upgrade to a double roller without updating the optispark which in turn limits using LT1 specific cams unless you want to get the snout machined for the opti drive.
Old 06-16-2009, 05:57 PM
10 Second Club

Received 26 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by rkinney
That is not true. I have a 93 and use a ZZ4 camshaft which was not designed for the LT1. The splined shaft is run by the cam sprocket so nothing goes into the snout of the cam. There is a small hole that is machined in the front of the ZZ4 cam that lets the shaft clear if it sticks out past the rear of the sprocket. Other SBC cams I have seen have this as well meaning they will work with 93-94 cars but not 95 and later. The thing us early optispark guys run into is that we are stuck using stock timing chain gear and cannot upgrade to a double roller without updating the optispark which in turn limits using LT1 specific cams unless you want to get the snout machined for the opti drive.

You're right, it's been a while since I did a cam swap.
Old 06-16-2009, 06:44 PM
TECH Senior Member

Received 26 Likes on 24 Posts

Nice, I'm getting a new long block with a CC502 for a project soon. Good to hear those comments about the cam.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:22 PM
TECH Enthusiast

well i just ordered some longer push rods and we are going to see if thats going to help. It would be nice to get a bigger cam and all, but spending 55 bucks vs. 500 to see if the fact that the push rods are smaller than they should be, well that would be worth it. Im getting them hopefully friday, my bday...maybe it will be a bday present for me and the sound will go away??

My coworker swears that the push rods are too small, and the rockers are bottoming out, which it sounds like they are. So i will try that. And if they dont work, well i am assuming i can use these push rods for the cam swap as well.

Quick Reply: Machine shop put the wrong cam in...so i need your help