LT1-LT4 Modifications 1993-97 Gen II Small Block V8

What did I do wrong? - Clutch Problems - HELP

Search this Thread

Old 06-14-2009, 08:35 PM
TECH Fanatic

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default What did I do wrong? - Clutch Problems - HELP

I just finished installing a new Ram Powergrip. After bleeding the system I got in the car and tried pressing on the clutch pedal. At first there was ALOT of resistance, it almost felt stuck, so I gave it a little muscle and it made a slight popping noise and I was able to press the pedal in.

The problem is it feels like there is nothing there now. There is little to no resistance pressing it down, and very little pressure pushing it back up. I'm going to take the slave down to see if I can see anything.

But, any ideas what to look for? This is my first clutch change.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Sounds like the slave wasn't seated in the fork and you broke something when you forced the pedal down.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:46 PM
TECH Enthusiast

will the car start?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by Z28_LT1
will the car start?
I haven't tried that. I'll throw the battery back in and see though.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:50 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Sounds like the slave wasn't seated in the fork and you broke something when you forced the pedal down.
That sounds like a possibility. I'll check. What could have broke?
Old 06-14-2009, 08:51 PM
Village Troll

Received 517 Likes on 373 Posts

It's also possible the slave rod is not seating onto the fork properly which is an easy fix. I'd start by taking the slave off first carefully to see if it is where it should be and then go from there. Are you sure you pushed the fork onto the throw out bearing all the way? Sometimes it can be a real PITA.
Old 06-14-2009, 08:56 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by SS RRR
It's also possible the slave rod is not seating onto the fork properly which is an easy fix. I'd start by taking the slave off first carefully to see if it is where it should be and then go from there. Are you sure you pushed the fork onto the throw out bearing all the way? Sometimes it can be a real PITA.
That's another thing, I didn't have to remove the fork to get the transmission down, but maybe it's not on the throw out all the bay, I'll check that too.

I'm hoping it's something simple though. I want to get started on the cam already.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:17 PM
Village Troll

You don't have to remove the fork to get the transmission out. You have to pull on the fork away from the tranny to disengauge it from the throwout bearing. Once the tranny is in place then you must push until it goes into place. You'll know it when it happens. I have a feeling your fork isn't on the TB all the way and it may have caused the slave rod to come off the fork as well. You'll know something's up as soon as you pull the slave.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:42 PM
11 Second Club

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Counted Out
That sounds like a possibility. I'll check. What could have broke?
Probably the slave. Check the clutch fluid reservoir to see if there's any fluid in it.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:48 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by speed_demon24
Probably the slave. Check the clutch fluid reservoir to see if there's any fluid in it.
It's still full, maybe too full but I don't think that should be a problem.
Old 06-14-2009, 09:49 PM
TECH Fanatic

You don't have to remove the fork to get the transmission out. You have to pull on the fork away from the tranny to disengauge it from the throwout bearing. Once the tranny is in place then you must push until it goes into place. You'll know it when it happens. I have a feeling your fork isn't on the TB all the way and it may have caused the slave rod to come off the fork as well. You'll know something's up as soon as you pull the slave.
Yeah, I don't remember pushing it back on. I think that's what I'll have to end up doing.

Thank you everyone. I'll post an update as soon as I start checking it out tomorrow. It got too dark.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:24 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay so how do I tell if the clutch fork is engaged to the throwout bearing? It seems to have alot of play but I can't tell if it's on the throwout bearing. I try to push it up but it just slides up and doesn't seem to catch the throwout bearing (if it's not already on it).

Anyone?
Old 06-17-2009, 08:49 PM
TECH Regular

You can tell if the clutch fork is fully engaged on the throwout bearing when the small round indent on the end of the fork that the slave cylinder rod pushes on is exactly centered between the two studs sticking out of the bellhousing that hold the slave cylinder in place.

My first time around doin' a clutch job I made the mistake of not pushing the fork in far enough. It got to a certain point then popped into place like it was engaged but it wasn't. Probably the same problem youre having now-- the clutch pedal felt hard as a rock, and out of curiousity and stupidity I pushed it hard to the floor, except in my case my slave cylinder literaly exploded and puked fluid all over the place lol. Sounds to me like you just snapped/bent the slave cylinder rod or something. Get back under there and unbolt the slave cylinder and I bet the problem will be pretty obvious, good luck.
Old 06-17-2009, 08:53 PM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by tbag_skywalker
You can tell if the clutch fork is fully engaged on the throwout bearing when the small round indent on the end of the fork that the slave cylinder rod pushes on is exactly centered between the two studs sticking out of the bellhousing that hold the slave cylinder in place.

My first time around doin' a clutch job I made the mistake of not pushing the fork in far enough. It got to a certain point then popped into place like it was engaged but it wasn't. Probably the same problem youre having now-- the clutch pedal felt hard as a rock, and out of curiousity and stupidity I pushed it hard to the floor, except in my case my slave cylinder literaly exploded and puked fluid all over the place lol. Sounds to me like you just snapped/bent the slave cylinder rod or something. Get back under there and unbolt the slave cylinder and I bet the problem will be pretty obvious, good luck.
I shot the piston partially out of the slave, but it looks fixable. I'll just keep trying to get the fork on.
Old 06-17-2009, 09:07 PM
TECH Fanatic

Okay, so when I pull it down, it goes to about here:

I can push it up, using just my fingers, to this position:

Is that engaged? It seems like it kind of "pops" onto something. I tried using a screwdriver to get it higher, but it doesn't seem like it's going to happen.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:31 PM
Village Troll

You need to push the fork towards the throwout bearing. Not push back and forth (or front to rear) on it. Get your finger on top of the fork and push TOWARDS the TB. You will feel it notch into place when it is seated properly.
Old 06-18-2009, 02:51 AM
TECH Fanatic

You need to push the fork towards the throwout bearing. Not push back and forth (or front to rear) on it. Get your finger on top of the fork and push TOWARDS the TB. You will feel it notch into place when it is seated properly.
That's how I was pushing it.
Old 06-18-2009, 05:38 AM
Staging Lane

What kind of throwout bearing is on there? Is it stock (which is round in shape) or an LT4 style (which is squared off)? I just went through this, and from the pic I can tell the fork is not in all the way. Looks like it needs to go in about another 1/2 inch. The LT4 style can be a little tricky. You have to make sure that the rounded off sides are positioned so that way the fork will slide on. When installed in its correct position, the square part will be parallel to the ground. The stock style one should go on easier. Which one do you have? Also, if you can unbolt and slide the transmission back, take the fork and practice sliding it on to the throwout bearing so you can get a feel of its engagement. Hope this helps....

Nick
Old 06-19-2009, 03:56 AM
TECH Fanatic

Originally Posted by NJLT1SS
What kind of throwout bearing is on there? Is it stock (which is round in shape) or an LT4 style (which is squared off)? I just went through this, and from the pic I can tell the fork is not in all the way. Looks like it needs to go in about another 1/2 inch. The LT4 style can be a little tricky. You have to make sure that the rounded off sides are positioned so that way the fork will slide on. When installed in its correct position, the square part will be parallel to the ground. The stock style one should go on easier. Which one do you have? Also, if you can unbolt and slide the transmission back, take the fork and practice sliding it on to the throwout bearing so you can get a feel of its engagement. Hope this helps....

Nick
I'm guessing it's the stock one - I didn't even look at it when I took out the transmission. How much harder is it to get it up that extra 1/2 inch? I've pushed pretty damn hard but it seems like it can't possibly go up anymore, but it seems like it pushes into it's current position too easily.
Old 06-19-2009, 04:53 AM
Staging Lane

It shouldn't be hard at all to push on. I would pull the trans back a little and take a look at it. I don't know which throw out bearing Ram supplies with their pressure plates. If its the LT4, it has to be clocked in the right position, or the fork won't engage. I would do as earlier suggested, and pull the trans back, and remove the fork off the T stud. Take the fork and slide it over the TO bearing simulating what you are doing with the trans in. This way you can see what's binding. I just went through this a few days ago with my install. If I didn't do this, I could have forced the clutch fork in for the rest of my life and it wouldn't have gone one. Once I pulled it back and checked things out, it all went back together smoothly, fork and all.

Nick

Quick Reply: What did I do wrong? - Clutch Problems - HELP